Is bodyweight exercise enough to start with?

Options
I've been changing the way I eat and trying to tweak things for myself over the past month. I lost almost 20lb in a month but my exercise has been very inconsistent and I think that I need to tweak my calorie information again. So I have two questions both related to activity.

First, I am struggling with adding activity into my day. Having been lazy for a majority of my life I am struggling with forcing myself to exercise on a schedule (at over 300lb everything I do is uncomfortable and even walking hurts at the end so it messes with my head and wanting to do it), my mind takes over and before I realize it I have argued with myself most of the day about whether I want to do something and then it's too late. Motivation works sometimes and occasionally for the past couple of weeks I have gotten maybe one good walk in a week (like a couple of hour hike) but even when I planned out TEN minute walk around the block every night I struggled and eventually stopped doing it. I am not sure why .. again laziness I guess. I know I know, everyone tells me to JUST DO IT but if I could get past my mental barriers to 'just do it' then I wouldn't be posting this up and asking questions, I'm working on the mental aspect of changing to a healthier lifestyle and I'm definitely not perfect so it's going to take some time. Anyway, I started doing some bodyweight exercises last couple of weeks and my plan was as follows: Twice a week (just never consecutively) I would do Pushups (starting with wall pushups, goal: 40), Squats (wall squats, working on form, goal: 50), Plank (starting with knee plank, goal: 90 sec), and each side planks (knee plank again, goal: 45 sec each side). The plan, again, would be once I could hit the goal for an exercise both days in a week then I could advance to the next version of the exercise (Knee pushups instead of wall, less assisted squats, etc). I actually enjoy the bodyweight exercises but I think I sort of psyched myself out last week because I feel like .. it isn't enough. I felt like I need to be doing something more but I just couldn't get myself to go out and DO anything else. Is this bodyweight routine enough to start out with?

Secondly, I was recalculating my TDEE but I couldn't figure out which activity level I should put down. As I am RIGHT NOW I don't do much. I sit at a computer most of the day with the occasional chores around the house and so I know that I should set it at sedentary. However, IF my bodyweight routine IS enough to start out with now and I do it 2-3 days a week should I recalculate at lightly active? I'm not sure where the line is since I'm not sure if just that routine is enough to be considered active at all. I'm hoping that if I can make a habit out of my bodyweight exercises and start seeing improvements that I'll add in more consistent walking. For now though I can seem to get the occasional long hike in and then I get unmotivated to do any other cardio.

Anyway, sorry for this being so long but I feel like I've gotten stuck on the whole exercise part of a healthy lifestyle and I want to figure it out and be able to move on.

Replies

• Laurarmeyer
    Laurarmeyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you on making changes in your life!

I would suggest maintaining "sedentary" on your TDEE calculation even if you are adding light exercise and bodyweight activity. I'm going to use me as an example: I run 20 miles/week and bike home from work everyday, which I would like to consider somewhat active. But the rest of the time I'm sitting at work or reading or watching TV. If I'm active 1 hour a day, I'm still inactive for 23.

If I had a job where I stood all day or had to move around a lot, I would bump myself up to active. Hope this helps.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Body weight strength training is great and will work just fine for building up strength as long as you continue to push yourself with harder exercises.

Instead of doing an exercise that you could do 50 reps it might be better to do a version you can only do 10 reps but do it 5 times.

Walking is fine but it does not burn a lot of calories and to continue to see improvements you would have to walk farther or faster. If time or motivation are a problem then maybe find something you enjoy more like dancing or something to burn calories.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Yes, bodyweight is a good start.

You have the right idea about forming a habit of exercising. When I first started, walking around the block was plenty. Doing a single push up wasn't easy. Even though I couldn't do much, I made it a point of walking every day. Once around the block turned into twice, then a half mile, a mile, etc. I also increased my push ups and then added other bodyweight exercises. Each week I would add another exercise or another set. The most important thing was to establish a routine. Once I established the routine I continued to add exercises or make the exercises more challenging. Eventually I ended up with a six day a week routine that has improved my fitness. It's hard to believe that this former couch potato could find enjoyment from exercise.

All that said about exercise, the most important aspect of weight loss is keeping your calories under control.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    At 300lbs walking and BW exercises are definitely good enough to start. Your joints will thank you if you ease into higher impact workouts. At this point forming the habit is more important than the exercise itself. Once the habit is formed you'll find it easier to walk faster and longer. You might consider working out in the morning. I like to get it over with so I can't put it off later (too tired, other things to do, etc). If you can't walk outside in the morning, you could try a Leslie Sansone DVD.
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For the motivation aspect, I have printed motivational slogans and pictures from the internet and put them on my bedroom wall, desk , and fridge. Stuff like - "start today - and you'll achieve your goal a day earlier than if you start tomorrow" and so on. I find i can make excuses in my head and argue and talk myself out of working out, but seeing the slogans do help me.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone and the tips! I'm glad to hear what I'm doing is good to start out with and not doing enough is just in my head! Hopefully i'll start feeling more motivated to do more as I get into the habit of this :)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    First of off, kudos for a well-thought out post. I don't mind long posts as long as the person is demonstrating they have attempted to do some research and find a solution on their own and relay that info back to us. I hate short posts of emotional bursts with no research having been performed.

I think at your current weight, bodyweight exercises are a good place to start especially since it may be physically uncomfortable or put you at risk of injury if you try too complex of exercises/equipment too soon. I take it you are not a member of a gym because everything you listed can be performed at home. If you are a member of a gym, I would do a stationary bike for cardio. I can't stand treadmills primarily because of the impact on the ankle and knee joints. But if you can't make it to a gym, try doing a very light jog during your walking session. Even for as little as 20 yards every 0.5-1 mile or jog for 15-30 seconds and walk for 2-3 minutes (repeat). Just something to get your heart rate up a bit more. Eventually you'll be able to jog for further and longer. Go as long as you feel comfortable.

I think your plan of making those specific exercises progressively more difficult is well-thought out. Just remember to always make your exercises more intense by either changing the resistance (knees up/down, on/off wall, etc), adding reps or adding sets.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey there, congrats on your efforts so far.

I too am not one for dedicating hours of my day to exercise. While on mfp you see a lot of reference to Jillian Michaels and Shaun T. I read they were a nice balance of body weight and cardio and they are only 30 minutes long! Bonus. I tried them both and found I personally prefer Jillian.

I would recommend starting with her 30 day shred. She shows modified moves both to make the standard move either easier or harder. I know it sounds silly, but hearing her say that you don't have to go as fast/high as they do, just as long as you are trying made me feel better about being slow and clumsy (which goes away with practise). This meant I stuck to it. I hate feeling like, oh I'll never be able to do it like that. I also found her moves to be something I could see myself doing, whereas with Shaun T (FocusT25) I would stand there wondering how the hell he expected me to do that! As such, I gave up on his workouts.

30 day shred level 1,2&3 can be found on YouTube, so if u have a free moment watch it to see if its something that would suit you.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You're getting lots of good tips about exercise and I don't have much to add since that's a tough area for me. However I DID want to comment on another issue you mentioned in your post - motivation and talking yourself out of things.

I think a lot about the mental battles we have with ourselves, and how we can overcome them. For example, on days when I struggle to just do a load of dishes and make dinner, am I really *that* tired? Not really, but I somehow get caught in a trap of *thinking* about how tired and unmotivated I feel and it just gets harder and harder. I read a blog post recently that I LOVED, for one line in particular: "It's only as hard as the story we tell ourselves". Her point was that if we tell ourselves how much we hate something and how it's going to take so much time and energy and how much we don't want to do it, it becomes this huge issue. But if we can change what we tell ourselves, it magically becomes so much easier!

So personally on the fitness front, I've been practicing this week telling myself a new story. I tell myself that I love being active while pregnant and it's so cool that I can still do walks, yoga, and bodyweight exercises even with my belly. I tell myself that to reach my ultimate goals after the baby is born, it's important to have the habits in place now - I don't need to wear myself out right now, I just need to "do it". I tell myself that when I exercise I feel more energized afterwards, and who doesn't want more energy? I tell myself that it only lasts 15-30 minutes and even if I don't like it, it'll be over soon and no big deal. I tell myself that making this one good choice is really going to help later on when I need to be strong and healthy. I tell myself that last time I did it, it wasn't that bad after all, and it won't be that bad this time either.

I hope that helps a little bit at least in changing the way you think about it and hopefully helping you stay on track. :)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been doing bodyweight exercises for about 2 months now and I am really feeling a difference. I am a totally weenie with almost no muscle so it's quite challenging enough for me. I would recommend the book "You are your own gym". It gives tons of great exercises from really easy to REALLY hard, and ways to modify them also.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I wanted to let you know that everyone's biggest battle is with themselves. Each and every one of us on MFP has fought it. We doubt ourselves, we give excuses and we don't feel that we are good enough. But we are, you are. You can do whatever you set your mind to do. Start small, make small daily changes. Eat less Move more. It works. I know it's hard, and I know it feels easier just to do what you've always done. But this is important. Your life, your long term health is really, really important. Don't doubt yourself. Celebrate your small victories and don't let a bad day, or a bad choice control your next choice and day. You can change anything at any time.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    As you exercise more, you will be able to do more, and you'll want and also need to do more. I started out over 300# - the weight comes off easily for the first 50# or so, and gets tougher. Be prepared to switch things up & do different types of workouts - cardio, weights, resistance, classes, etc. You have to keep your body guessing in order to keep getting great results as it adapts quickly to whatever we do to lose the weight. It becomes more efficient in a very short amount of time (I've heard in a matter of a week or two!). Don't get discouraged, just keep at it - you're doing great, congrats!
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    try doing a very light jog during your walking session.

I enjoy doing that actually. I took a walking class (for phys ed) a couple years ago during college and had to go 3 days a week. By the end of the semester I was walk/jogging and I felt really good about it but I HAD to go so the motivation was there. I do want to end up back at that point again someday when I get the habit of exercise back. Thanks for the tips!
    30 day shred level 1,2&3 can be found on YouTube, so if u have a free moment watch it to see if its something that would suit you.

Actually I own that dvd and completely forgot about it! I will have to go searching to find it. I just rearranged my room to have more space to do the bodyweight exercises but it's perfect now to do something like the Jillian exercise. Getting my lazy butt up to actually do it is the next step! Thanks for the reminder!
    I hope that helps a little bit at least in changing the way you think about it and hopefully helping you stay on track. :)

I struggle so much with the mental part of getting myself going to do it .. and like you said with other things as well (laundry, dishes). Thanks for those tips I am going to have to definitely start changing the way I think about things because I realized that I do tend to focus on the parts that I don't like when I'm trying to psych myself up to go do something. That isn't the way to psych yourself up!
    As you exercise more, you will be able to do more, and you'll want and also need to do more.

I agree it's just getting started that's hard right now. I've done exercise in the past and I know how good it makes me feel I'm just struggling with getting started right now. I've changed the way I eat for the last month with minimal exercise, as I stated in my main post, and I KNOW that I HAVE to add in exercise to get better results that I am looking for. I've actually already lost 100#, over about 10 years, from the highest weight I've been so I KNOW I can do more in shorter time if I get dedicated. I'm closer to the 300 mark right now so I wanted to get a good base of something going to lose the 40ish lb I needed to (halfway there!) to get under 300 for the first time since I was a teen and then switch up the walking to add some small jogging or add something I never thought I could do. Thanks for the advice!