40+ and fighting the good fight

Options
Hello, I'm hoping to find support with the 40+ crowd or otherwise. My goals are pretty much the same as when I was in my 20s and 30s except now it's definitely a battle to not only maintain but to try and lose a few pounds. With that said I'll take any help I can get to lose some stubborn pounds and lower my body fat a few percentage points. I do something cardio-ish and weighted pretty much daily, so that's not my struggle, but the carbs and sweets are my hurdle every day, every day.

Replies

• dob49737
    dob49737 Posts: 64
    Options
    I would agree...im 44 and I find it very hard to see the gains in the gym and the minus of pounds like when we were in our 20-30's. It's hard but at least we should have the wisdom to know what we should NOW eat and not eat...especially if your watching the carbs.

So your not alone.
  • CFAddict
    CFAddict Posts: 15
    Options
    I am fighting with ya, feel free to add me.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my metabolism seems to have tanked somewhere back in my 20s or 30s. But on the bright side, now I'm not dieting to look good but instead eating for life. And that has its own rewards.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, yeah watching carbs I am, but it kind of sucks, to look at a label prior to eating, well just about anything, lol but yeah wisdom and experience at least are in my favor, our ours haha, and yeah looking good is great, but I do have different reasons for my health now, longevity, quality of life, and a better sense of well being;)
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 and it seems as though from about 32 on it has been all down hill. I am striving to be the healthiest me that I can be. I have a long line of very unhealthy family members and I REFUSE to follow in their footsteps!
  • sophilyn
    sophilyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey, 46 here. Fighting with you as well. Add me if you wish...:flowerforyou:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Turning 45 in July...so Im in with all of you! I refuse to lose!!!!!
  • jenk7356
    jenk7356 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm a great supporter so add me if you like.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Gratitude for all the support, lol can you tell I'm a Sparticus fan?
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and would like lose about 25Lb. I'm there for support I know we all can use it.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am turning 45 in July too!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and fighting the fight myself. We got this!! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • waxwingdesign
    waxwingdesign Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and it took me almost three months to see a few pounds move. I only wanted to lose 15-20 lbs so now I'm in my 6th month of calorie reduction and cardio and have lost 10 lbs. It is purely the KEEP GOING that got me here. Man its discouraging to not see results right away. Also now that I've lost 10 lbs I have to recalibrate my calorie deficit for my weight and lost another 60 calories from my daily intake.
    If I can suggest: trader Joe's milk chocolate peanut butter cups. I've managed to stay away from almost all other temptations by allowing myself 2-3 of these on a hard day. it's 180 calories but they are worth it.
    good luck and JUST KEEP GOING!!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am turning 45 in July too!

10th for me! Happy early birthday!!!!!
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hear ya too! I'm 44 and losing weight is truly an uphill battle sometimes. We can all use more support. Feel free to add me if you like :-)
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    40 somethings rock! I'm now in better shape than I've been since my early 20s. It can be done! Add me if you want. I love that profile pic it's one of the more unique ones I've seen and makes those lips look irresistible. That is part of the key to getting fit though is being able to have discipline and resist some of the things you shouldn't eat; at minimum reducing the amounts of the "bad" foods.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. I've started lifting weights (Stronglifts 5x5). It helps me to maintain my muscle while I lose fat, which will look better when I reach my goal. It also makes me stronger and increases bone mass, so that when I'm much older, if I fall down, not only will I be strong enough to get back up on my own but there will be a better chance that I won't break a hip or something. Now if I can just get my food portions under control...
  • lykostobias
    lykostobias Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    43 and in the best shape ever! Keep it up, everyone!
  • hitman62
    hitman62 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 52 male. I was 98 KGs April 1st. Today I am 86.5 KG. I came on to MFP a few weeks ago. For me it's low carb (I can remain in ketosis up to a 100g a day), high protein, high fiber, with a 500 calorie daily deficit plus six workouts a week combining swimming, cycling, cross-training and resistance. My MBR has gone from 62 yrs old to 46 yrs old and I feel great. The only problem are my clothes - i look like a baggy boy.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Omg, congrats on the weight loss. I'm i think at me set point, and it just want to lose 5-7 lbs, but mainly working on fat loss more than anything to get more lean. I love the Trader Joes dark choc. Peanut butter cups and I commend your will power. I can't say how many I gobble a day, but I def. need to work on portion control; although I did eat four peanut m&ms, just four, and left the rest in the bag, so I'm getting there, baby steps.