Just Binged

Options
I've overeaten on several occasions but haven't had a true "binge" in quite a while. I've been really restrictive in eating only whole foods, almost no sugar, no grains, no starch, etc. etc.

bout a minute ago I just finished my last spoonful of a binge that I was afraid was going to happen sometime. It was a high starch, fat and sugar dessert. I kept eating to the point that my stomach hurts. I feel awful and am really scared to think about how much this will set me back. I'm so disappointed in myself for giving in.

Replies

• tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just log it all so you get a really accurate picture of the "damages". That might help you look at it more objectively and take some of the awful emotions that you are feeling away. I've had a few binges and it set me back about a week but I'm back on the wagon now with more resolve. I don't think you need to sweat it. Just try to not do it again tomorrow. You'll be fine.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happened to you. It sucks when it happens. I tend to think the binges we experience from time to time is a direct result of being too restrictive and setting too many things off limits. It's the human condition it seems, to want something we "can't" have. I refuse to do that and it's not always easy. The more you try to tell yourself you "CANT HAVE THAT"......the more you'll want it and the more likely a binge is coming on at warp speed.

Just get back up today and forge ahead. Dont pound yourself over a slip.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just FR'd ya:) I've dealt with this my whole life and am STILL trying to conquer it. I think I am learning, though, not to obsess over not bingeing, but instead put as much focus and energy as I can into cooking healthful foods and exercising. I may still want to down a gallon of ice cream even after having a nutritious dinner, but since this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, I'm trying not to worry so much over slip ups and just try to build a foundation of MOSTLY good days.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Too much restriction --> binging --> disappointment --> guilt --> tries to restrict further...

Think about how you can break that cycle.
  • aa1234567891011
    Options
    Try giving yourself a little room for snacks and deserts, even when dieting. That way, there is a lower chance of going on an eating spree.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Too much restriction --> binging --> disappointment --> guilt --> tries to restrict further...

^^^^ This ^^^^
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After I binge, I usually log for two reasons:

1) Sometimes it's not as bad as I thought.

2) If I overate by 500 calories, I'll cut 100 out of my diet for the next 5 days to make up for it. That's just one less snack a day, or an extra walk to make up for it.

It's usually not as bad calorie-wise as I think. Just makes you feel crummy physically and emotionally.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    EAT! if this is strictly for weight loss the only thing that matters is calories in VS calories out. What's with the restricting? Why? I've ate a fricken McD's icecream cone almost everyday for a month, and I've still lost 13lbs...calories in VS calories out. Now if you want to do like power lifting or body building then pay more attention to the types of food in that sense but for simple weight loss only just make sure YOU BURN MORE then you consume and stay at your calorie goal.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^

Exactly this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat what you WANT within your calorie allowance!!!!

And don't label foods as good v's bad etc - FOOD is FOOD at the end of the day!!!!

Your be fine.... !!

I binged on tons of bread & PB once.... Never again... But I know why I binged... I cut bread out for months & months... Then when I started...............I didn't want to stop!!!

Moderation is key : )
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^

Exactly this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat what you WANT within your calorie allowance!!!!

And don't label foods as good v's bad etc - FOOD is FOOD at the end of the day!!!!

Your be fine.... !!

I binged on tons of bread & PB once.... Never again... But I know why I binged... I cut bread out for months & months... Then when I started...............I didn't want to stop!!!

Moderation is key : )
    [/quote/

Did the same thing with sugar. Decided to cut out all sugar except in fruit. Sat and ate several candy bars as quickly as I could. You can do this and be glad you recognize a binge and being honest with yourself. You have done such a good job and just start up again. You can so do this..
  • mi2mina
    mi2mina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am the same way..im a binger.... too, which is why i plateau , i eat good and then i maintain....and then i binge a good day and that sets me back major....
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. We have all done that at some point. Maybe try not to be so restrictive in your diet. If I know I can't have something at all- that's exactly what I crave. I also try to plan out my entire days meal plan, including snacks, the night before. It takes a little time, but it pays off. If I wait until I'm hungry, that is when I really do some damage. Just don't quit. Start over right now, not tomorrow. Take it one day at a time. You can do this!!
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    The only way I could break the binge cycle was when I joined this website and decided to not restrict any food. I don't even reward myself with a cheat meal, because I can have anything I want anyway. It is a huge mind game
    Don't beat yourself up too bad. One dessert does not mean it's the end. Dust yourself off and move on.
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Log it.
    Drink Water.
    Go for a walk. a long walk. and then log that too.

:) it will be ok
    We all binge. thats why we are here.
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^

Yes, this is good advice. It's called the Abstinence Violation Effect. Take care and try to take the emotions out of the equation as much as you possibly can and just start where you left off :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^
    +1. I believe if your mindset is on what you "can't have", that's what you're going to focus on. Either eat what you want, in moderation IF YOU CAN, or build your diet and thinking around all the awesome yummy things you CAN have, and all the great things you've never tried out there that you CAN have.
    Including lots of yummy desserts if that's your thing. Some of the balanced formal diets (such as South Beach) have tasty dessert recipes that won't derail your deficit, and are designed to satisfy, but not send you on a binge. Maybe try one or two of those?
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You ate a lot. However, the real question is: did you just binge or did you just fuel up?
    I don't know what you ate, but it sounds like a calorie ba-bomb. Time to get out there and put those calories to good use. Calories = energy in the most basic of scientific calculations. Run, walk, bike, swim, jazzercise, chase butterflies, whatever your favorite exercise is, now is the time to do it!
    Even if you can't burn the, all today, you are better off than you were.
    Seriously, stop reading this and go feel the burn!
  • kgotstyle
    kgotstyle Posts: 15
    Options
    It happens. Sometimes I think we have an "all or nothing" mentality and that restricts us even more than our diets! Log your food and figure out how you're going to handle it next time. Throw in a couple of extra walks or workout a little longer. Just don't beat yourself up, you're only human! It's ok to make a mistake:)
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As a one-time binge the direct damage probably isn't too much...the indirect though can be significant IF it's treated as a license to binge. I agree with another poster that said it might be the result of being too restrictive with yourself. I know that would be the case with me. IF I were to cut out ALL those things that aren't good for me, I'd starve to death as I only ate foods that weren't good for me.

To make it work over the long haul I decided the only way it would work for me was to make a complete lifestyle change. That meant taking my (post heart-attack) meds on time as prescribed, modifying my diet over time to incorporate in healthier foods and while not eliminating all the ones I liked, reducing them both in quantity and number.

I'm in about my third month of this transition to a healthier being. The first month was making sure I got the meds part working for me. With that in place, I began working in the exercise...starting with cardio, now working in strength training as well. I've been a month now brisk walking. I began with a 30 minute walk that turned into 15 minutes of brisk walking, followed by a 30 minute erect crawl trying to get back home. Deciding I'd overdone it, I broke it down into 2 15-minute brisk walks...1 morning, 1 night. Worked perfect....now I'm up to 30 minutes, morning and 20 to 30 minutes at night also, along with some dumbbell work.

You can view my food diary...anything that looks like a fruit or vegetable is something I've added to my food plan, so far, nothing's been eliminated from it but quantities are reduced waay down. Not enough for me to feel hungry as that would defeat the purpose and would likely end up with me ignoring it all. The main difference in the food part is that I've gone from 3,500 to 4,000 calories a day....something that's in the range of a professional athlete, to in most cases will under my MFP goal (without exercise) of 1,860 calories. Most days....I don't come near that number yet with exercise it's actually more that I could go.

Along the lines I mentioned near the top...I'm planning on taking 1-day a month...no particular day, just a day to throw caution to the wind and "binge" if you want to call it that....I don't....I'll call it MY-day. The other 29 belong to my cardiologist and my grandkids...limiting it to 1-day isn't going to harm me physically or emotionally and will hopefully help to keep me motivated as I get back to running headlong at life.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Log it - and move on.