exercise and a toddler

Options
Anyone here have a small child and still get in some sort of exercise? I have a 2 yr old well she'll b 3 in September an I love to walk I have a stroller for her to ride in an she was doin pretty good with it but now she dnt want to go walkin anymore she whines the entire time and I end up turnin around before I even get a half mile in. How do u all get in exercise and what kinds do u do?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Gym with free child care?
    The father watching the kid?
    Babysitter?
    Grandparent watching the kid? (they always love to spend time with their grandkids)
    Exercise videos while kid is asleep?
    Keep going when the kid whines and will eventually give in?

Many options.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Suck it up because you are the parent and they are the child? Incorporate them into some form of exercise you both enjoy? Invest in a tablet and put the kid in the stroller with the tablet while you walk?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Gym with free child care?
    The father watching the kid?
    Babysitter?
    Grandparent watching the kid? (they always love to spend time with their grandkids)
    Exercise videos while kid is asleep?
    Keep going when the kid whines and will eventually give in?

Many options.

This. I joined MFP when my son was 1 - he's now 4. I've developed and stuck to an exercise routine the entire time. My gym has two hours of childcare included and he loves it. We bike with a bike trailer. He stays home with dad during some workouts. Yep, he's complained while we go on stroller walks or runs but guess what? I'm the grown up. Now, we ditched the stroller for walks and he uses his own little legs to come along and he whined like crazy at first. But again, I'm the grown-up and this past weekend my little guy hiked about 7 miles a day with us...on his own two feet, with basically no complaining.

I look at it this way. Growing up, I seldom saw my parents engage in purposeful exercise or even much active recreation. What an opportunity my husband and I have to model healthier living for our son. He will grow up seeing that his parents exercise sometimes on purpose (gym, exercise videos) and often for fun (biking, hiking, walking). Fitness will be a part of his life. He will see sights most children never see, from high hills overlooking rocky coastlines, waterfalls on rushing rivers. He will be exposed to the outdoors. He will be fed healthy meals. He doesn't get in the way of this Healthy Lifestyle(tm); he enhances it and is the REASON for it.

Involve her when you can. Let her see that fitness is a priority for you. Let her see that it can be fun and will take her places. She'll thank you for it when she's a healthy adult.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Does she still nap? Maybe she won't whine if you walk during nap time and she can fall asleep?

Do you have a neighbor/friend you can swap off with? I had 3 kids and couldn't use a stroller or a bike buggy with all of them. I would watch my neighbors kids for an hour while she walked or cycled, and when she was done, she would watch mine for an hour while I did the same.
  • Ldonahue921
    Ldonahue921 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Make it a game for her. My 2yo (3 in oct) loves to go on walks with me. Sometimes in a stroller around town, sometimes we just run around the playground or park.

When in the stroller, he loves for me to run so he can 'go fast'. If my bfs are along, we play tag (even in the stroller). I run with stroller trying to "catch" the others or we'll switch and they chase us.

At times we take the long way to the park in the stroller (at my pace) and just play as hard as we can (his pace) when we get there. You'd be surprised how much fun and calorie burning that can happen when you're running from the swings and down the slide and pushing the spinning rides and trying to climb across the monkey bars. It all counts toward your fitness, their fitness and your bonding time with them.

If you do it in the morning, you'll both be ready for a nap by noon! Then you can decide to do more structured workout (weights, etc) while she sleeps. : )
  • peanutbutter_runner
    peanutbutter_runner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get up early before my 17 month old does and fit it into my day. That way it's done first thing in the morning and I don't have to try mustering the energy after she goes to bed at night. I work full time so I'm tired enough when I get home and just want to kick back and spend time with my family.

Otherwise for extra movement, just run around with her and play. Be a kid with her. Chase her, play tag, throw a ball, roll around on the floor having tickle fights, dance with her to crazy music. Make physical activity fun for her :)
  • DirtyLittleRemix
    DirtyLittleRemix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posts, some great ideas!
    I have three boys (4, 2 and 5 months) and it makes exercise challenging. I started encouraging them to exercise with me (in their own little way!) My 4 year old is now practically my personal trainer "One more mummy, come on, you can do it!" he slides me my weights across the floor or passes me my water. I understand this won't be for all children but my elder two love it.

As for the crying in the buggy have you tried a toy steering wheel? I go out for strolls with my big double buggy while my eldest is at nursery and my 2 year old does get grumpy and bored so I started giving him a steering wheel and I would zig-zag with the buggy and alternate between running, jogging and walking. All of course while making the best car noises I can, he loves it! Luckily my 5 month old is still young enough to be soothed to sleep but the movement almost every time.

A "game" my three boys love, that works my abs, is to lay on my back and bring my knees up 90 degrees. I then lay the chosen child across my knees and hold onto their hands to keep them stable and then pretend to be a plane. Tilting left, right, back or tipping them upside down a bit, all while keeping my tummy tight.

Good luck!
  • gackets69
    gackets69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's pretty tough. I try and squeeze in a run when all the kids are at play group & school (I hve a 2yr old, 5 & 7 year old). Is there a park your daughter could play in & u be near so u could exercise? Saying that I tried with my youngest & Ihe chased after me in years!

:smile:
  • carlyschales
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a 3 year old and I take him on my walks by pulling him in the wagon. He loves to go on walks and kick back in the wagon while I get some kind of exercise. I figure its better than walking on my own too, since I'm pulling his weight. To make it not so boring for him I usually stop off at the park on our way back so he can get out and play some. With the heat he doesn't last very long before he's ready to get back in the wagon and head home.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My son will be 3 in October. I take the stroller with water and snacks. If he gets irritable I let him get out and walk for a bit and then back in the stroller. Otherwise I do a half way spot to a park. Let him get out and burn some energy and then walk back. Since it's just me I don't have a partner to help take on the load. I workout various time during the day with home videos try to when he is sleeping but sometimes just have to give him something to occupy him to get it done. It's trial and error, you will figure out what times work best for you to get your activity in.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    LOL. Sorry sounds familiar. My two year old will also be 3 in September. She walked with me yesterday. She ended up falling within the first 10 minutes and I ended up having to carry her back uphill. Only got 13 minutes in. "Boo boo" had to be kissed.
    I did manage to get my exercise in the day before while she was asleep. If your like me and can't afford day care much less a gym membership...have you tried walking laps around your yard while he or she plays with bubbles or etc. Another possibility jogging in place while child watches a video.
    Let me know if you find something. LOL
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Depends on the schedule of the child.

If I could get up before the kid and work out in the peace and quiet, I'd definitely do that. I get up at 5AM without any kids just to work out, so you could certainly do that.

If the kid got up too early for that but took a nap in the middle of the day, I'd work out at that time.

If the kid got up too early and didn't nap (sheesh, I feel bad for you if that's the case), I'd put on a movie, sit him or her in front of the TV, and work out in the same room. This might be difficult, though.

If none of those things worked, I'd stay up after the kid's bedtime and work out. I'd hate this, but gotta do what you gotta do.

If there are days when daddy or grandma/grandpa or even a babysitter could stay with the kid, I'd do it then. Paying some teenager to watch your child for an hour wouldn't be too expensive. It's a quick $10, and worth it if you ask me.

If you STILL can't fit it in, I'd stick with walking/jogging with the stroller or just making an effort to stay active with the kid. So what if she whines? She can deal with it - it's not harming her.

If you can't do any of those, I call BS. Just do it!
  • blessed0910
    Options
    Anyone here have a small child and still get in some sort of exercise? I have a 2 yr old well she'll b 3 in September an I love to walk I have a stroller for her to ride in an she was doin pretty good with it but now she dnt want to go walkin anymore she whines the entire time and I end up turnin around before I even get a half mile in. How do u all get in exercise and what kinds do u do?

I have a 3 year old girl and a 8 year old boy with special needs. I can't get outside much to exercise so I invested in myself and bought a new treadmill this year and last year an elliptical. I either try to get up really early before the kids are awake or do it after work while the kids watch TV. I am going to try and work it in where I can get both kids to go walking with me outside at least 2 times a week. More for them then for me. It can be done. Someone told me that we can spend an hour watching TV, so why not spend that exercising for ourselves? Like others have said be creative and just let your daughter know that there is no choice in it for her. My daughter wants to go outside after work and I have to tell her no not until mommy exercises. Keep it up!
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I look at it this way. Growing up, I seldom saw my parents engage in purposeful exercise or even much active recreation. What an opportunity my husband and I have to model healthier living for our son. He will grow up seeing that his parents exercise sometimes on purpose (gym, exercise videos) and often for fun (biking, hiking, walking). Fitness will be a part of his life. He will see sights most children never see, from high hills overlooking rocky coastlines, waterfalls on rushing rivers. He will be exposed to the outdoors. He will be fed healthy meals. He doesn't get in the way of this Healthy Lifestyle(tm); he enhances it and is the REASON for it.

Involve her when you can. Let her see that fitness is a priority for you. Let her see that it can be fun and will take her places. She'll thank you for it when she's a healthy adult.

This, right here. I want my kids to see their parents engaging in a healthy lifestyle. I'm not in this to make always happy kids, I'm in this to make responsible, healthy adults. Part of that means showing them what it means to take care of oneself.

But, for more concrete advice: When I take my toddler and baby in the jogging stroller, we take the long way to the park (about 1.5 miles) and the short way home (about .25 miles). I call it "Going to the park to go swinging" not "Going for a jog." We both win!
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here.

I also have a toddler and me and daddy both work long hours. My mum helps with childcare when I work so I can't ask anymore of her.

I either get up at 5/5.30 and get in a training session before she wakes, or like tonight, I'll be doing a workout DVD once she's asleep. If you want to do it , you'll find a way - it's not easy!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    But, for more concrete advice: When I take my toddler and baby in the jogging stroller, we take the long way to the park (about 1.5 miles) and the short way home (about .25 miles). I call it "Going to the park to go swinging" not "Going for a jog." We both win!

Brilliant idea.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Can you run with the stroller to a park? That's how I "bribe" my kids to stay in the stroller. That way everyone is happy. You can do bodyweight exercises at the playground.
    My 3 yo also loves to do Zumba with me on Xbox.
    Also, there are groups of moms that meet at parks to work out while kiddos play. If not in your area maybe you could start one?
    My favorite though is just to find a gym with childcare, it's a nice break.
  • trpeppin
    trpeppin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You cook healthy meals that the kiddo actually eats? Please I beg of you share some recipes with me that your kids loves. I have 3 grandchildren who live with me now and all they have had that were home cooked is processed food like pizza put in an oven. The parents considered that home cooked meals. Now they live with my husband and I and we acturally cook and they don't really like anything that we cook. So please if you have healthy meals please share.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm a single parent of a 2 year old little girl. The nursery is on the second floor and my gym is in the basement. I use a baby monitor between the two rooms to meake sure she's still snoring away. On workout days I wake up at 4-4:30am, workout 45min to an hour, shower, make breakfast, get ready for work, wake up, dress , feed daughter and am out the door by quarter to seven to drop her off so I can go to work.

Is it easy? No. Will you be exhausted by the time 9pm hits? Yes. Will there be mornings you won't be able to work out because the little monster won't sleep or wakes up early? Yes, but that's what parenting is all about. Expecting the unexpected and dealing with it. I couldn't imagine trying to incorporate my daughter into my actual workout. (Besides playing horsey while Dad does pushups).

Good Luck finding something that works for you.
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You cook healthy meals that the kiddo actually eats? Please I beg of you share some recipes with me that your kids loves. I have 3 grandchildren who live with me now and all they have had that were home cooked is processed food like pizza put in an oven. The parents considered that home cooked meals. Now they live with my husband and I and we actually cook and they don't really like anything that we cook. So please if you have healthy meals please share.

Depends on how old your kids are, I'm sure. My toddler is a great eater. Sure he loves cookies and asks to go to McDonald's every time we pass one, but he also asks for seconds of salads and his favorite snacks are berries and apples. I like to get him involved in the process with me. When we go shopping, I give him some choices (do you think we should get apples or pears?). He "helps" me in the kitchen ("chopping" a piece of onion with a butter knife). He is also a big helper in the garden, and can be sent out to pick parsley or basil.

I try to take into account everyone's preferences when planning meals, but he eats what we eat. Usually he eats well, but if not, no big deal. He can eat it or not, his choice. If not, I keep his plate and if he is hungry later, that's what he gets.