Why you might need to rethink eating 6 meals per day!

Options

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I, quite naturally, eat a protein/carb breakfast in the morning and about 6 hours later I eat my last meal of the day.
    I love to have a large meal and it holds me very well till the following morning.
    On weekends, I also have 2 meals-breakfast and dinner-because we eat out on weekends.
    I've been doing this for a long time and it works beautifully for me-no health issues and my weight is pretty much at goal (+ or - 5 lbs.). My large main meal keeps me satisfied and not looking to snack.
    I never liked snacks or tiny meals.
    I'm happy to hear its good for me!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals a day. Not because I think that magically boosts my metabolism or makes it so I lose weight faster compared to if I had eaten the same amount of food in two meals...no. I eat 5 meals a day because that is what makes me most comfortable and satiated throughout the day.

Its personal preference and no in my case I don't have to rethink it.

You seem to be using a study in which people ate over maintenance to compare to a group of people who are eating under maintenance. I don't see the relevance.

I can understand how you missed it in that wall of text, but you're incorrect:
    Yet studies show no advantage to frequent grazing. One eight-week study in The British Journal of Nutrition divided 16 obese men and women into two camps. Both received the same number of calories daily. One group ate those calories as three meals and three snacks. The other ate them as three meals but no snacks.

I believe in CICO, but I find these kinds of studies interesting.

I am not incorrect you misunderstood my post. When I said "a group eating below maintenance" the group I was referring to was us. The study was two groups both eating ABOVE maintenance. I was saying it was a mistake to suggest a study of people above maintenance would be meaningful for those below maintenance.
    A study recently published in the journal Hepatology increased caloric intake of 36 lean, healthy men a whopping 40 percent for six weeks. These men received those increased calories through meal size or meal frequency. In other words, some men ate bigger meals, and others got those excess calories through smaller meals and snacking.

I did not say both groups didn't receive the same calorically, I said they both ate over maintenance because they did. The study was a study of people eating over maintenance. You cannot just assume the same applies to people eating under maintenance.

Apparently, I skimmed too. :tongue: I didn't see the first study.

I think the second study is more valid though since they had both groups eating the same amount, but just spaced the eating differently. It's kind of obvious in the first study that if people are eating over maintenance, they will gain weight.

But the result of that study was just good ole CICO as far as I can tell, meaning for weight loss meal timing doesn't matter.
    Being a reduced-calorie diet, both groups lost weight. However, researchers found no fat loss advantage to eating more often.

I'm not saying studies aren't interesting, I'm just meaning there is nothing particularly new here. That result is what you would predict from CICO and CICO is pretty much what MFP is based on and what I think we are all essentially doing here.

The other studies talking about "increased hunger" which is going to be subjective and personal and cannot just be applied to everyone.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    1. " However, researchers found no fat loss advantage to eating more often." - okay so what - did they find an actual disadvantage? other than in the surplus group?
    2. I eat several small conscious meals (not necessarily snacking or grazing) - I know what I am eating and it is nutrient dense food and I count the calories so I am in a deficit.
    3. I take offense to the opinion of the writer that everyone who chooses frequent eating is just mindlessly grazing on junk and therefore will not be able to sustain weight loss. pffft
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals a day. Not because I think that magically boosts my metabolism or makes it so I lose weight faster compared to if I had eaten the same amount of food in two meals...no. I eat 5 meals a day because that is what makes me most comfortable and satiated throughout the day.

Its personal preference and no in my case I don't have to rethink it.

You seem to be using a study in which people ate over maintenance to compare to a group of people who are eating under maintenance. I don't see the relevance.

I can understand how you missed it in that wall of text, but you're incorrect:
    Yet studies show no advantage to frequent grazing. One eight-week study in The British Journal of Nutrition divided 16 obese men and women into two camps. Both received the same number of calories daily. One group ate those calories as three meals and three snacks. The other ate them as three meals but no snacks.

I believe in CICO, but I find these kinds of studies interesting.

So the TL;DR is: do what works for you?
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My mom doesn't eat often; she will skip breakfast but then eat a REALLY large and unhealthy lunch, and a decent-size dinner. On the other hand, I love to eat a bunch of smaller meals because I'm a muncher...if I eat a big breakfast I'm still going to have a snack 2 hours later...I'm weird like that! So I guess it is what you're eating and not how often :) Good post!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the truth of healthy weight loss is pitifully boring.

All things in moderation, get your nutrients, eat at a calorie deficit, exercise for fitness. This is far to boring to hold most peoples attention (I include myself in that most people) so we complicate things and microanalyze things. I might learn new things daily or come to question things I previously thought were true but at the end of the day i will still be eating at a calorie deficit and exercising.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the truth of healthy weight loss is pitifully boring.

Favorite post ever...because it's sadly true!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Eating smaller meals works for me. It helps me avoid binging because I am never starving for food. I do ensure I eat healthy snacks such as fruit/veggies/low fat yogurt etc.. That being said I see a lot of people snacking on what they think is healthy food such as granols bars and such and I can surely see that they would eat their calorie allowance up fairly quick . What people snack on is important but I also believe that doing what works for you is what everyone needs to do.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We had a guest lecturer in a nutrition class whose study wasn't published yet that said the opposite for female Olympic figure skaters. Just yesterday I rewatched the video and was reading thru the notes and slides. I'll post some later.

My problem with the article is the difference between snack vs mini meal and the assumption of junk food.

I still need to read the actual study that they linked.

I'm torn as to what works best for me.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The whole idea that hunger is bad and dangerous and that you should be eating all throughout the day is junk science and has been from the get go.

So are many other dieting "truths". But hey, Big Food makes a killing off perpetuating the myth that the average person needs snacks and "mini-meals" to survive throughout their day. And people who love to eat are only too happy to oblige.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that interested me in this article was the note that increased meal frequency tend to lead to increased hunger. I've often wondered about that. I wait to eat breakfast until 10 or so (I get up at 6 a.m.) and have found I'm only really hungry once I start to eat. I naturally eat several small meals a day because I'm starving, but each meal is 200-300 calories. I've often wondered if I would feel less hungry if I just ate bigger meals less frequently.

In the end, it doesn't really matter for me. I'm at maintenance and pretty lean, so it's not like eating six times/day has made me fat or anything. I just get tired of eating all the dang time and being hungry minutes after I do eat.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    When I am on my period, I eat 5-6 smaller meals, because if I don't, I get too lightheaded. I have lost 34 pounds, and have about 13 to go.

I dislike studies like this, because they don't seem scientific. I'm waiting for one that says "Overweight people drink water, so water causes weight gain"

So, I'm gonna keep on keepin' on, because it works for me.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How else can you get the gram of protein per pound if your trying to gain muscle.....your 240....you need 240 grams....you need 5 meals a day....80grams per meal waste it.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think my posts are invisible. :frown:

Not invisible. Just largely pointless.
    Well, aren't you just a giant ray of sunshine!
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    This simply suggests that people are unaware of their calorie intake. If someone is logging or otherwise keeping a pretty good generally tally on calories consumed, this shouldn't be an issue regardless of how many times per day you eat.

I would say the vast majority of people don't have a clue as to how many calories they are consuming so it would stand to reason that if they increased meal frequency they would also be increasing energy consumption.
    These were exactly my thoughts. I eat frequently because otherwise I would be hungry all the time.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    As I stated in my first paragraph, the paragraph that was actually written by me, not the author of the article, is that you should do what works for you! But the point of the article is really pretty simple. Don't eat 5-6 meals a day thinking that it stokes your metabolism or helps you burn more fat, because according to the studies mentioned, it doesn't. And though it does help to keep your blood sugar more level throughout the day, it is a consistently high level.

Of course we will gain weight if we eat more than we burn. That isn't even being argued. I found it to be an interesting read and thought others might too.

If it works for you, do it. But do it for the right reasons, whatever YOUR right reasons are! And more importantly, I think if more people read this (any other articles/studies like it) the old.... eat lots of small meals a day to keep your metabolism humming myth..... might be dispelled eventually.
  • Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have done the 6 meals a day and 2 meals a day while cutting / putting on weight and they work the same. There was no difference in either. I eat when I'm hungry and make sure I hit macros and not go over. Don't stress over eating times, it's really not that hard.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We had a guest lecturer in a nutrition class whose study wasn't published yet that said the opposite for female Olympic figure skaters. Just yesterday I rewatched the video and was reading thru the notes and slides. I'll post some later.

energybalance.jpg
    My name is Dan Benardot.
    I'm a professor in the Department of
    Nutrition at Georgia State University

let's look at what the science says
    about strategies for decreasing body fat.
    First, let's think about some realities.
    Body weight and body fat are very tightly
    regulated.
    Recent energy regulation research reveals
    that the role of insulin, the hormone
    leptin, and the hormone ghrelin are very
    important in energy regulation.
    Insulin is a long-term regulator of
    energy balance, food intake, and fatness,
    adiposity.
    And, glucose metabolism in adipose tissue
    plays a role in leptin concentrations.
    Deficits in the production of leptin,
    have been shown to increase fatness, or
    adiposity in humans.
    And the enteric hormone ghrelin acts as
    an appetite stimulating hormone and has
    been implicated in both short and
    long-term appetite, food intake, and body
    weight regulation.

blah blah

it's been found that subject who skip
    breakfast as adults had significantly
    higher waist circumference and body mass
    indexes.

blah blah

We're going to look at how energy
    imbalances during the day can impact
    weight.
    The traditional view is that you would
    look at the total energy consumed.
    That is, the total energy caloric
    consumption over 24 hours of a person,
    than you'd look at the total energy
    expenditure over that same 24 hours for a
    person, and look at the ratio of those
    two values.
    If over the course of the day, 24 hours a
    person consume, let's say 2,000 calories
    and they burn 2,000 calories, then you
    would say they are in perfect energy
    balance.

When you look at energy balance, but in a
    more microeconomic view instead of the
    macroeconomic view of the full 24 hours
    in the day.
    In fact, when you take a microeconomic
    view, you realize that what you're
    assessing is one simple transitional
    point over the course of a day.
    You're not measuring what happens to
    energy balance at all over the course of
    the day, you're just taking one point in
    the day and saying, this point will tell
    us everything we need to know about a
    person's energy balance.

blah

we've been studying the time that a
    person spends in an energy deficit, the
    time that a person spends in an energy
    balance surplus, how big the energy
    surplus is or how big the energy balance
    deficit is.
    And what we found is that the time spent
    in an energy deficit and the magnitude of
    that deficit, the time spent in an energy
    balance surplus and how big the surplus
    is, it's a very big difference in what
    the obesity outcomes will be for that
    person.

This guy talked for 2.5 hours and was monotone. The information was amazing. He concentrated on athletes but addressed the obesity epidemic and had an interesting study on people in a retirement home. I just wish I was able to attend the office hours and ask questions.

I highly recommend taking online nutrition classes. This one was from Vanderbilt on Coursera.org

edit to fix img
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    1. " However, researchers found no fat loss advantage to eating more often." - okay so what - did they find an actual disadvantage? other than in the surplus group?
    2. I eat several small conscious meals (not necessarily snacking or grazing) - I know what I am eating and it is nutrient dense food and I count the calories so I am in a deficit.
    3. I take offense to the opinion of the writer that everyone who chooses frequent eating is just mindlessly grazing on junk and therefore will not be able to sustain weight loss. pffft
    1. As far as a person's blood sugar levels and fat burning levels I would say yes. Blood sugar was level but high. Those who ate more often never burned fat stores like those who ate less often.
    2. I think MFPers have an advantage on this one. But I think many people outside of MFP are completely unaware of calories in food, how many calories they need, etc. So I agree that most people on MFP probably aim for nutrient dense foods for the mini-meals or between meal snacks. I think the general population probably doesn't.
    3. I don't think she was saying all people who eat frequently are eating mindlessly. But I do think many are. And again, the simple fact that you're HERE would lead me to believe you know more than most about food and nutrition.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Food for thought.
    Thanks for posting this. :flowerforyou:

Currently, I'm eating an average of 4 meals per day but I'm going to try eating 3. I'll just add what I eat at my 4th meal to lunch or dinner and extend the time between my meals.

Much of my need to eat stems from food cues and not actual hunger.