Rate My Plan + What Do I Do On Non-Workout Days?

Options
Hey everyone! After a big discussion with you a while back, I now have a new plan that, so far, feels like it's going fine. Let me fill you in on it, and if you have anything to say then let me know!

Breakfast:

3 scrambled egg whites
1/4 cup of mix berries
1 protein bar

Snack:

2 scoops of protein shake
2 tbsp of peanut butter
1/4 cup of cashews

Lunch:

1 fillet of grilled fish

Dinner:

8 oz of grilled chicken
2 medium sized bake potatos
2/3 cup of green peas

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I mean, every day?
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    (Continued)

I work out for 1 hour + per day (except Sundays). My workout plan is as follows:

Week 1:

Mon: arms, Wed: legs, Fri: arms

Week 2:

Mon: legs, Wed: arms, Fri: legs

Every other day including Saturday I workout my midsection (chest, back, abs, shoulders, triceps)

Also, each day I do thirty minutes of cardio. Walking for four minutes, jogging for one, but every two weeks I'll increase jogging and decrease walking times.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My thought is that this is a calorie-counting website, so quite a few people will be wondering about calories, exercise, statistics, goals etc
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So for your snack, what do you do with the protein? Mix it with the peanut butter?

And for lunch, do you genuinely just eat some fish? Nothing else with it?

Dinner - 2 medium sized potatoes? why not one? I apologize I wasn't part of the original discussion, is there a reason you'd need to have 2?
  • Triplesget
    Options
    (Continued)

I'm currently getting 1,981 calories (not counting what I lose working out), and am getting 184 grams of carbs, 57 grams of fat, and 196 grams of protein, putting me at a percentage split of 36/25/39.

I'm open to all opinions, criticisms, and critiques, so please let me know what you think!

I started last week at 315 pounds, and now I'm sitting at 302, although I probably just lost water weight.

Also, what should I do on Sundays, when I'm not working out? Should I lower my calorie intake?
  • Triplesget
    Options
    My thought is that this is a calorie-counting website, so quite a few people will be wondering about calories, exercise, statistics, goals etc

I didn't have them in yet, sorry about that. :)
  • Triplesget
    Options
    So for your snack, what do you do with the protein? Mix it with the peanut butter?

Dinner - 2 medium sized potatoes? why not one? I apologize I wasn't part of the original discussion, is there a reason you'd need to have 2?

I have the shake plain with water, but could mix the peanut butter in--I just don't. Also, yes, that is all I have for lunch, though I could have my cashews with the fish instead of with my shake. Yes, I do have two potatos--it puts my in closer and better to my calorie goal and my carbohydrate goal and helps everything fill out well.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I mean, every day?

EVERY day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I mean, every day?

EVERY day.

Boring and unsustainable...that's my 100% honest opinion, no snark intended.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Also, I plan on cutting my calories down if / when I start to plateau, or when I've lost a good amount of weight (20-25 lbs).
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I mean, every day?

EVERY day.

Boring and unsustainable...that's my 100% honest opinion, no snark intended.

Yeah, I understand that, and thanks. :) I know it sounds like something easy to just fall off of, but if I feel myself falling off I've got a support system of people built up around me now to help me get through it, and I'll just restructure my plan and probably throw in more variety while still maintaining around or exactly the same numbers.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Your workout plan isn't efficient. Working out arms is great for bodybuilders, and fairly pointless for everyone else. Try to stick with compound exercises -- you'll get plenty of arm work.

For example, rows are great for your biceps. Bench press (or push-ups) are great for your triceps.

And if you're working legs, try to do things that include glutes, like squats or lunges.

The more muscles you can include at once, the better.

(edit: I eat the same thing every day. It's totally sustainable if it's things you like. Just make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.)
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Your workout plan isn't efficient. Working out arms is great for bodybuilders, and fairly pointless for everyone else. Try to stick with compound exercises -- you'll get plenty of arm work.

For example, rows are great for your biceps. Bench press (or push-ups) are great for your triceps.

And if you're working legs, try to do things that include glutes, like squats or lunges.

(edit: I eat the same thing every day. It's totally sustainable if it's things you like. Just make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.)

Already working squats and lunges on my leg days and have bench press and push ups on my arm days. I left my workout stuff pretty vague, but that's mostly because I just wanted to try to keep it as simple and informing as I could.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Amen to this!
  • Triplesget
    Options

Also, thanks for the confidence boost on eating the same thing every day. Everything in my meal plan is something I absolutely love to eat, and I'm hitting my nutrients just fine.
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Can you explain the logic of skipping squats and lunges? Not trying to be a snark but my understanding is coming up short
  • Triplesget
    Options

Can you explain the logic of skipping squats and lunges? Not trying to be a snark but my understanding is coming up short

I think he's saying to include them, not to exclude them.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

I have the shake plain with water, but could mix the peanut butter in--I just don't. Also, yes, that is all I have for lunch, though I could have my cashews with the fish instead of with my shake. Yes, I do have two potatos--it puts my in closer and better to my calorie goal and my carbohydrate goal and helps everything fill out well.

So here's my take - and it's up to you how you feel about it - but why carb load at night?

Carbs are energy basically . . . they WILL NOT store as fat as many people say, but really carb loading at night is a little pointless.

When do you work out? If you work out in the morning, I'd have some carbs in the morning

I work out in the morning before work, here is my breakfast

2 egg whites
    half - ish of a red and green pepper
    1/4 of a red onion
    1/4 cup of shredded cheese
    2 slices of bacon (or turkey bacon)
    salsa
    small, whole grain tortilla

It's like a breakfast burrito and it comes it at around 350 calories. You can skip the bacon if you don't want to add those calories.

Carbs in the morning can help fuel you for the day - carbs at night really won't be needed. Just a thought.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Uh, well the person you quoted didn't say to skip squats and lunges...
  • Triplesget
    Options

So here's my take - and it's up to you how you feel about it - but why carb load at night?

Carbs are energy basically . . . they WILL NOT store as fat as many people say, but really carb loading at night is a little pointless.

When do you work out? If you work out in the morning, I'd have some carbs in the morning

I work out in the morning before work, here is my breakfast

2 egg whites
    half - ish of a red and green pepper
    1/4 of a red onion
    1/4 cup of shredded cheese
    2 slices of bacon (or turkey bacon)
    salsa
    small, whole grain tortilla

It's like a breakfast burrito and it comes it at around 350 calories. You can skip the bacon if you don't want to add those calories.

Carbs in the morning can help fuel you for the day - carbs at night really won't be needed. Just a thought.

I'm done eating before 6:00 PM, so I don't really often think about it at night, but I guess so far I carb up later because it's what I'm more accustomed to, but I don't have any problem with considering loading up earlier rather than later.