Rate My Plan + What Do I Do On Non-Workout Days?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    try to do things that include glutes, like squats or lunges

Does not mean exclude.
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    try to do things that include glutes, like squats or lunges

Does not mean exclude.

I second this. Include =/= exclude.
  • vindidj
    vindidj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're new to tracking your food/calories I would not radically change your diet initially. Eat pretty much like you normally would and see where you're at. Using a tool like MFP increases your consciousness around what and how much you're eating. As you strive to meet your calorie goal you will naturally gravitate towards less calorie dense and more satisfying foods. The point is cultivating a new lifestyle.

As others posting here have alluded, goal setting is KEY! Once you have identified your long term and intermediate goals to get you there you will find your thinking about eating and physical activity changing. No longer will you be exercising, you will be training towards your goal(s). No longer will you be dieting, you will be fueling your body to support your training toward your goal(s). Body transformation is a BIG job (hardest thing I've ever done!). Break it up into pieces and conquer them all!

It sounds like you might be a little new to strength training. Splitting up the body into separate workouts is very popular right now, especially in bodybuilding. This allows higher intensity workouts with sufficient time between sessions for recovery. That's fine if you're a seasoned trainer in good condition. Starting out, I have found that going old school (think Steve Reeves and Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the day) and doing full body workouts every other day at a lower intensity reduces the risk of injury and allows plenty of opportunity to gain skill at training. Sounds like you're spot on with your cardio doing the walk/run split. Check out C25K as a nice template for getting your running dialed in. The best advice for both strength and cardio training is start at VERY LOW intensity and build SLOWLY. Progression is the name of the game, but don't get greedy. Being overly sore is no fun and an injury will set you back days, weeks, or even months. Consistency will get you to your goals.

Oh, yeah...no workout days. I gave up on them. I workout everyday, but I give one day a week to do whatever fun thing I want to do. I often try out new exercises that are complex (I'm pretty awkward and clumsy). Sometimes I swing a hammer around like a gada mace. Do something that's training, but that's fun for you. It's kinda like an exercise "cheat day."

Oh...and one more thing. You're going to fall off the wagon. That is to say, you're going to go over your calorie goal for the day and/or not exercise (it WILL happen). Don't beat yourself up over it. It's just one day. Kick *kitten* tomorrow! Good luck!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'd spread the potatoes out so you have some carbs with each meal, and consider replacing one potato with half a bagel or oats, which are very healthy. add some red bell peppers and broccoli - they're very low in calories but full of vitamins C and A. some days you can replace your meats with non-fat or low-fat greek yogurt.

and be careful that you don't cut your calories too low. if that's the case, you'll lose muscle, not just fat, and that will mean you burn less calories.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    If you're new to tracking your food/calories I would not radically change your diet initially. Eat pretty much like you normally would and see where you're at. Using a tool like MFP increases your consciousness around what and how much you're eating. As you strive to meet your calorie goal you will naturally gravitate towards less calorie dense and more satisfying foods. The point is cultivating a new lifestyle.

As others posting here have alluded, goal setting is KEY! Once you have identified your long term and intermediate goals to get you there you will find your thinking about eating and physical activity changing. No longer will you be exercising, you will be training towards your goal(s). No longer will you be dieting, you will be fueling your body to support your training toward your goal(s). Body transformation is a BIG job (hardest thing I've ever done!). Break it up into pieces and conquer them all!

It sounds like you might be a little new to strength training. Splitting up the body into separate workouts is very popular right now, especially in bodybuilding. This allows higher intensity workouts with sufficient time between sessions for recovery. That's fine if you're a seasoned trainer in good condition. Starting out, I have found that going old school (think Steve Reeves and Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the day) and doing full body workouts every other day at a lower intensity reduces the risk of injury and allows plenty of opportunity to gain skill at training. Sounds like you're spot on with your cardio doing the walk/run split. Check out C25K as a nice template for getting your running dialed in. The best advice for both strength and cardio training is start at VERY LOW intensity and build SLOWLY. Progression is the name of the game, but don't get greedy. Being overly sore is no fun and an injury will set you back days, weeks, or even months. Consistency will get you to your goals.

Oh, yeah...no workout days. I gave up on them. I workout everyday, but I give one day a week to do whatever fun thing I want to do. I often try out new exercises that are complex (I'm pretty awkward and clumsy). Sometimes I swing a hammer around like a gada mace. Do something that's training, but that's fun for you. It's kinda like an exercise "cheat day."

Oh...and one more thing. You're going to fall off the wagon. That is to say, you're going to go over your calorie goal for the day and/or not exercise (it WILL happen). Don't beat yourself up over it. It's just one day. Kick *kitten* tomorrow! Good luck!

Thank you! I greatly appreciate all of this! :)
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hard for me to judge this type of diet, because I'd personally be starving. I need a lot more veg to round out meals and feel fuller. I tend to sneak lots of dark leafy greens into everything for a healthful low-cal filler. I know you say you enjoy all those foods, but it just seems so sparse...
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Hard for me to judge this type of diet, because I'd personally be starving. I need a lot more veg to round out meals and feel fuller. I tend to sneak lots of dark leafy greens into everything for a healthful low-cal filler. I know you say you enjoy all those foods, but it just seems so sparse...

I legitimately end up full at the end of the day, and it feels great. :)
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I just wanted to throw this question out there quickly: is there anything I should do differently if I'm looking mostly to lose weight rather gain muscle? If I gain muscle then I take that simply as a plus from it all.