It's not working :( I'm not loosing weight or inches

Options
2»

Replies

• mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Simply put not losing weight is usually a matter of over stating exercise calories and understating food calories. Even though you are using a HRM how confident are you that your burn numbers are spot on? If you are sure both are as accurate as you can get then change one or the other for a week and see if it helps. IE only eat back part of your burn, like less than half. Eat more, like 500-1000 calories more each day and don't eat any exercise calories back. The number is based on your projected weightloss, 2 pounds a week is = 1000 calories a day.

You might try a change in your diet less carbs, more protein.

Absolutely drink more water, like at least 4 times what you are logging today.
  • hothayley2000
    Options
    Thanks again for everyone's replies. Yes I do weigh all of my food but my scales don't give 0.5 of a grams and for ease of adding things I normally weigh things to a certain value I.e 70 instead of 72g. I weigh all of my meat raw too. I'm looking to loose about 5kg so I know it's going to take a long while to achieve that. The workout DVD I do involves some weights but do you think it would be more beneficial to add a few weights sessions into my weight? Thanks again for all you input
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I agree if Fitzman84. You are going to go into starvation mode pretty soon and your body will fight to maintain weight. Bump up the calorie count and try some weights. All your workouts are very Aerobic. You won't gain that much muscle with that, and remember that a lb of lean musclue burns more calories when you are sitting down doing nothing. Incorporate some weights into your routine. Make sure you get a good burn withing 10 reps.

She's not in danger of going into starvation mode until she hits around 100 lbs. starvation mode happens when the body hits a very low body fat percentage, not due to eating a certain number of calories while still at a normal weight. Check out the Minesota Starvation Experiment to read up on exactly what starvation mode is. She won't gain any appreciable amount of muscle while eating at a deficit. You can't build something from nothing. That requires a surplus. She, however, can try to maintain the muscle she has if she eats .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass while engaging in regular heavy lifting sessions.
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily starvation mode, but you want to start with your calories as high as possible. That way when you hit a sticking point you have options... like taking away calories. You can't take much away from 1200. Also, newbies to weight training can build muscle in a calorie deficit. It wont be as much as if she were in a surplus of course, but she will build some.

Why You Can Lose Fat and Gain Muscle at the Same Time
    http://muscleevo.net/lose-fat-gain-muscle/#.U6RMjJRdUww
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with fitzman84. I grow a ton of muscle in deficit. It's not ideal, but it happens. In fact almost all my muscle growth was done in deficit and I'm pretty muscular at the moment. You just have to work out the muscles and eat protein, protein, and protein.
    As far as burning more calories from muscles, it's true, but it's so negligible (20-50 calories a day) it's hardly noticeable.