HRM suggestions

Options
Looking to buy a HRM, mostly a trail runner, do some at home videos also. Don't want to spend too much, but also not looking for something cheap. Does anyone have one they love?

Replies

• Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 - It's very straight forward and I love it!! The chest strap is very comfortable.

They sell it at Best Buy, and they price match online!
  • jplack112
    jplack112 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Before buying, you'll probably want to decide if you want an HRM that uses Bluetooth, ANT+, or both. If you intend to use it with a smartphone app, you'll want Bluetooth. If you have a device already to synch with the HRM, you'll want to make sure the HRM is compatible.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar (FT80 to be exact). I paid a lot but never use the extra functions that are built into it. The lower models be Pilor (like the FT4 mentioned earlier) have all the functions that I use. While auto syncing would be nice, it only takes 30 seconds to create a cardio exercise, enter a time and add the calorie burn. I do this for every workout using the date in the title for record keeping (example: 2014-06-22 back and 5.5 mike walk run).

Just my $0.02. Best of luck to you on your search.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I just started using a Polar HT7. I had a Polar HT4 and had a lot of trouble with it and it was supposed to be really simple to use. The HT7 gives you more information than I need, but it was super easy to set up and I just have to click on one button to get it to start counting my hr and calorie count, so it was worth the extra money imo.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Looking to buy a HRM, mostly a trail runner, do some at home videos also. Don't want to spend too much, but also not looking for something cheap. Does anyone have one they love?

If you just want calories burned, get a Polar with a cheststrap. If you want mileage, pace,etc look at the Garmin watches.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

What's the purpose for it?

If really just monitoring the HR - then any cheap HRM with chest strap like Polar or Timex will do that with EKG accuracy, non-Polar's with better features at better price usually.

If you actually are going for the unstated calorie burn, then the cheaper Polar FT4/FT7 are about worthless for that, as are other cheaper units.

Polar RS300X about the cheapest that has required VO2max stat and self-test to get it to improve accuracy of calorie burn estimate (yep - still estimate).

Even the nicer ones with self-test can be off a lot, with lab tested stats, better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

edit - if it's to improve cardio training - the cheaper Polars are missing features to do that well then like zone alarms and such.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

Polar FT7. I love it. If you buy the Polar Wearlink sensor (it's Bluetooth) you can use it with trail run apps.
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Polar FT7. I love it. If you buy the Polar Wearlink sensor (it's Bluetooth) you can use it with trail run apps.

Hi there,

If its without Bluetooth can you still sync it? does it sync with mfp?
    Thanks
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar H7 (Bluetooth and 5kHz) with various apps in my iPhone. If it synchs with MFP depends on the app used. The H& was a good choice for me because it will also link with the older watches, gym equipment, and the new Polar rodents like the loop.
  • jplack112
    jplack112 Posts: 3
    Options
    Mostly for HR monitoring, the medications I take. for my asthma make my heart rate very high...being on the trail solo I try to keep it in check. Would be great to find one with bluetooth, not that concerned with calorie burn.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm using Polar RS300X, but when my friend asked me for advice I told her to get the cheapest Polar available. RS300X is: 1) too big; 2) has many functions/info that I don't really need/use. All I'm using it for is to see my pulse and amount of calories. I'm not gonna get any lab accuracy here, so I wish I spent less money.
  • iWorkout4Vino
    iWorkout4Vino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 - It's very straight forward and I love it!! The chest strap is very comfortable.

They sell it at Best Buy, and they price match online!

I've just ordered one today. There are a lot of them on the market and some are very expensive but I've seen a few people on here mention the Polar FT4 so decided to give it a go.