protein challenge!

Options
mr_mitch
mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
Its difficult to meet protein goals!

So far today I've had natural yogurt, cottage cheese, ham, babybel, cheese string and milk (in my cups of tea)

And that's only 33g of protien. I still need to eat over 100g more!

I like chicken / turkey / fish... One of those things will be dinner tonight... But its still gonna be hard to get that much protein!

Replies

• kmbrtn
    kmbrtn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    If you're not allergic to shellfish, shrimp has a ton of protein with few calories/fat per 3 oz.
    I have yet to reach my protein goal.
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    eat more meat and invest in some protein shakes
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I agree with ryan. Otherwise you have to start spacing your meals throughout the day and break down the protein goal evenly through them, or bump it up slightly after a workout. I try and have about 4-5 ounces of chicken around 12 and 2. Then I have my post workout protein shake which is 25g per scoop, have another 4-5 ounces of protein for dinner and when I have 2 eggs in the morning my intake is around 185g per day.

Hope this helps.
  • belle_rn
    belle_rn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't eat enough food containing protein throughout my day. But, I found a FANTASTIC protein shake I use that has a mild vanilla taste and allows me to add a tablespoon of a variety of dry mix sugar free puddings (my fav is cheesecake!!) for different tastes based on what i feel like. Or I will add a Crystal Light Wild Strawberry packet. Sometimes, instead of using water, I will use 1% milk and add a carbmaster yogurt (both the milk and the yogurt give even more protein) for a yummy filling breakfast shake. The shake mix itself is 23g of protein which is a nice hit on my 75g/day!
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've found the only way for me to get to over 100g of protein (I should be eating around 120-130g a day) is to include protein shakes in my diet. There are a number of great brands out there. I live right next to Optimum Nutrition, which I also think is the best tasting. My go-to is two scoops of vanilla protein powder and unsweetened almond milk blended with ice, which is 310 calories and 61g of protein. Good luck!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is 170g per day. I cannot meet it without using protein powder supplements. I mix 1 scoop in non-fat plain greek yogurt for breakfast to make a low calorie high protein start to my day. I usually have 2 scoops in water for my afternoon snack. That plus the proteins in my meals gets me close to my goal each day.
  • nicpatterson65
    Options
    agree agree! Fan of protein shakes! This app has really helped me see what I have been doing wrong for so long...too many carbs!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, Quest bars...

I get at least 130 g of protein per day - check out my diary if you'd like.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs, beef jerky, protein bars
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I never meet my protein goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So far today I've had natural yogurt, cottage cheese, ham, babybel, cheese string and milk (in my cups of tea)

I like chicken / turkey / fish... One of those things will be dinner tonight... But its still gonna be hard to get that much protein!

so a spoonful of each of those things to only get 33g of protein!? you need to eat bigger portions...

i have a 250g pot of cottage cheese with my salad, thats 25g protein.... or 2-3 slices of ham and a boiled egg, thats at least 15g.... a 170g pot of fat free greek yoghurt is 18g of protein....

how many calories are you eating?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Feel free to look at my diary.
    I can hit ~200 gr without protein powders....but protein powders are an option as well.

I do
    Greek yogurt,
    eggs
    milk
    quest bars
    chicken
    beef
    fish
    cottage cheese
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I just started adding hemp hearts (10 g - 61 cal, 3 g protein) to my Greek yogurt for extra protein. Hemp hearts can be sprinkled on just about anything to boost the protein. They have a light nutty flavour that I find pleasant. Greek yogurt has double the protein than regular yogurt. Pistachios and almonds are high in protein too for tasty snacks. Keep in mind that your body can only use 30 g of protein at a time so a meal with higher protein is wasted protein. It's better to divide your protein into smaller portions of 30 g or less throughout the day so your body gets the full benefit.
  • mr_mitch
    Options

so a spoonful of each of those things to only get 33g of protein!? you need to eat bigger portions...

i have a 250g pot of cottage cheese with my salad, thats 25g protein.... or 2-3 slices of ham and a boiled egg, thats at least 15g.... a 170g pot of fat free greek yoghurt is 18g of protein....

Well that was just my breakfast and lunch. 521 cals so far.

Breakfast

Cereal bar 1 of, 2.1g protein, 138 cal

Lunch

All bran cereal 26g, 2.3g protein, 70 cal
    Natural yogurt 35g, 1.5g protein, 21 cal
    Babybel 1 of, 4g protein, 75cal
    Apple 103g, 0.4g protein, 55cal
    Ham 34g, 7.7g protein, 39 cal
    Cheese string 25g, 7.1g protein, 71cal
    Cottage cheese 86g, 7.9g protein, 52cal

And a cup of tea, with skim milk.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Well that was just my breakfast and lunch. 521 cals so far.

Breakfast

Cereal bar 1 of, 2.1g protein, 138 cal

Lunch

All bran cereal 26g, 2.3g protein, 70 cal
    Natural yogurt 35g, 1.5g protein, 21 cal
    Babybel 1 of, 4g protein, 75cal
    Apple 103g, 0.4g protein, 55cal
    Ham 34g, 7.7g protein, 39 cal
    Cheese string 25g, 7.1g protein, 71cal
    Cottage cheese 86g, 7.9g protein, 52cal

And a cup of tea, with skim milk.

So how many calories are you eating per day? Thats not much food, so no surprise you're not getting much protein!
  • mr_mitch
    Options

So how many calories are you eating per day? Thats not much food, so no surprise you're not getting much protein!

At the minute I've got it set to 1798.

Apart from my 521 for lunch I've no idea what my total for today because I went out for a meal (grilled sea bass) but I usually end up with like 300 calories at the end of the day that I never manage to use up! Lol
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i drink so many protein shakes.
    I also like these

https://www.p28foods.com/products
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I eat net 1700 cals and get around 120g of protein per day. You need to plan your days better to hit your macros and calorie target. Start with protein at each meal and it's pretty easy to get over 100g.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i find it extremely hard to hit my protein goals...especially since i despise eggs and find chicken extremely boring if its not covered in cheese or sauce or other not so healthy stuff lol..Find myself relying too heavily on whey and casien protein shakes
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I get in 200+g a day. Anyone is welcome to creep my diary for ideas. BORE WARNING: I am competition prepping, so my food is quite repetitive and boring at the moment, if that's going to be an issue for anyone. I also do rely a little heavily on protein shakes, but I'm trying to go a little more natural, which is a better quality of protein, anyway.