HRM and mowing the lawn

Options
Putting this out here, for the potential of more feedback.

On my second HRM. I elected to go with a Timex Ironman w/chest strap. I only really care to monitor my HR and calories burned. So for ****s and giggles, I put on the chest strap and went out to mow the lawn, as we are suppose to have severe Tstorms the rest of the week. I have a good bit of property. It takes me three hours to mow and weed eat the lawn. About an hour with the push mower, another hour to 1.5 hours with the Kubota, and finally 30 minutes of weed eating with the gas trimmer. I started and stopped the HRM for just the push mowing part. It took just a bit over and hour and six minutes. It says I burned 998 calories, really? Does anyone else think thats a bit much for mowing the yard? Im starting to doubt this thing. Yes, its setup and configured for my weight.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    steady state cardio=HRM; mowing, probably use a step counter to estimate a walk; so for every mile maybe a 100 calories burned. IE mowing for 66 minutes at 3 mph(slow) about 300 calories.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    steady state cardio=HRM; mowing, probably use a step counter to estimate a walk; so for every mile maybe a 100 calories burned. IE mowing for 66 minutes at 3 mph(slow) about 300 calories.
    you have to remember though they have to push that mower around though, depending on the model, the terrain, how fast they were mowing, i think 988 might not be too far off for 1.5 hours of push mowing plus the time spend finishing it off
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use a reel mower on my lawn and wear my HRM. It takes me anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours, and I burn anywhere from 500 to 700 calories. Of course it's going to depend on your age and weight, but it definitely sounds reasonable to me!

Edited to add: I'm old and short, so most people would probably burn more than me!
  • VaFJMan
    VaFJMan Posts: 93
    Options
    Im 6'4" and currently weighing in at 231lbs. Yard has hills.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah then. That sounds about right. Using a gas powered push mower on hills is brutal! I have an easier time with the reel mower, as it only weighs 35 pounds.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM when mowing the lawn. 1) we only have an old push mower that's a b to move. 2) our yard is a slight hill - Last time between mowing and de-weeding for a little over half an hour I burned 500-600 calories. The hotter it is also the more I burn. The faster I move the more I burn. I can completely believe it.
  • NicolesMinion
    Options
    Also depends on if you have self propelled mower....I am older (mid-50s) and overweight but in excellent cardio shape and I have to keep my heart rate up in the Maximum (85-95% of max) for about 50% of the time to get 400-500 cals in 1 hour. So the question is did you feel very winded most of the time??
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Very simply ... the formulae used by HRMs are not accurate for mowing the lawn, dancing, cleaning, playing hopscotch, etc.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Very simply ... the formulae used by HRMs are not accurate for mowing the lawn, dancing, cleaning, playing hopscotch, etc.

What are they accurate for then?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

What are they accurate for then?

Steady state cardio ... running at a near constant or smoothly transitioning effort, swimming, speed walking, steady cycling, etc. There are only certain activities where people have been hooked up to testing equipment and a linkage established to heart rate, VO2 max, and caloric burn. If it were just a case of high heart rate equaling higher burn than scary movies and roller coasters would be effective weight loss tools.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I check my HRM every couple of minutes when I mow. My lawnmower is not self propelled and the lawn is on a hill. My heart rate stays up around 140 the entire time I'm mowing. It seems reasonable to me.