I have loads of problems...

Options
Hello,

I am a 19 year old female, height is 5'1". Last year; I went down from 170 lbs to 127. Still had 27 lbs to lose (I want to be a 100 lbs or 110). From January till now (June) I stopped dieting and gained 10 lbs back - currently I am 137 lbs. I want to go back to dieting, but I stopped in the first place because I hit a plateau (which I am worried I still have).

My problems:

1- I am sick of most kinds of foods:
Proteins: I only eat chicken breasts and honestly getting bored of them. As for eggs, I have them for breakfast daily, but I am starting to lose my appetite for them. Especially when I think of the smell or the fact that its a baby chick inside... =(
Fruits: I only eat watermelon, peach, oranges, and bananas (stopped liking strawberries a couple of weeks ago).
Vegetables: I only eat cucumber, lettuce, and tomatoes (won't go near cooked veggies).
Grains: I have no more appetite for breads - only eat them to consume enough calories.
Dairy: I only eat cheese (haven't drank milk in 17 or more years, but the cheese makes up for it I guess).
Drinks: I only drink water - minimum 8 cups a day. sometimes I drink 10 to 12 cups.

2- Calorie intake:
most days I only consume two meals: brunch and dinner. Each maximum 300 calories - sometimes less. It is mostly a routine > Brunch: 2 eggs omelet, small salad (no dressing - basically just lettuce, cucumber and lemon), and a fruit. Dinner: a grilled chicken breast or chicken burger and a cheese slice, or some light tuna with a salad.
For a while I had periods of binging and purging. I wouldn't eat all day, then suddenly consume a lot of food (I wouldn't say exceeding 700 calories). After consuming that much food, I would exercise: either jog in place for an hour, walk for 3 hours on average, or swim for 2 hours (I cannot vomit because I suffocate - It is a scary experience and I have enough sense not to do it on purpose no matter how intriguing).

3- Exercise:
I can only swim, walk, and jog in place. If i try running I lose my breath after a minute or two, and if I push myself harder I faint... Strength training, well lets say I need to start right from the beginning (currently I can only carry 3 lbs dumbbells).

Health problems: I have low iron and low vitamin D. My doctor said I might have low thyroid so I am going for a blood test soon. That's all I have knowledge of (and hopefully all there is).

What are some suggestions to improve my appetite, health, stamina, strength, and weight loss? (I want to lose 2 lbs per week, however I am not rushing since I am ok with my body now, but still want to be thinner)

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

2- Calorie intake:
    most days I only consume two meals: brunch and dinner. Each maximum 300 calories - sometimes less. It is mostly a routine > Brunch: 2 eggs omelet, small salad (no dressing - basically just lettuce, cucumber and lemon), and a fruit. Dinner: a grilled chicken breast or chicken burger and a cheese slice, or some light tuna with a salad.
    For a while I had periods of binging and purging. I wouldn't eat all day, then suddenly consume a lot of food (I wouldn't say exceeding 700 calories). After consuming that much food, I would exercise: either jog in place for an hour, walk for 3 hours on average, or swim for 2 hours (I cannot vomit because I suffocate - It is a scary experience and I have enough sense not to do it on purpose no matter how intriguing).
    Health problems: I have low iron and low vitamin D. My doctor said I might have low thyroid so I am going for a blood test soon. That's all I have knowledge of (and hopefully all there is).

These two things are related. You don't need a thyroid condition to explain health issues and vitamin deficiencies if you are eating like that.

Is your doctor aware of your diet?
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Eggs arent baby chickens. An egg is an egg. It's just a yolk sac and some proteins and some DNA. It needs to be fertilized to be a baby chicken.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a therapist and discussing your diet with a doctor.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Yeah
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Therapy. This is an eating disorder.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If your test come back for underactive thyroid (HypoThyroid), it will be hard (not impossible) to lose anything until you get it under control.... That was my experience - once controlled it is the same as anyone else. My vitamin deficiencies are a direct issue associated with my Hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism. I take loads of vitamins daily just to maintain...

I think the trick with food is mix it up... I cook lots of chicken but I make it very different each time so it is like exploring new recipes (which I love to do) .. I just had a burger tonight so you can still mix up your food and aren't caught in "I can only have this... "

Good luck!
  • thyella
    thyella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yikes
    Do you have a good doctor and do you like him or her? I'd start with getting healthy then worry about weight. Are you getting enough calories? You won't lose if you are too low. Please make sue everything is ok first.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eggs arent baby chickens. An egg is an egg. It's just a yolk sac and some proteins and some DNA. It needs to be fertilized to be a baby chicken.

THIS. Also, I eat only egg whites just because I want to bring my cholesterol down and its a lot lower in calories.

Alrighty so, I have lots to say. I'm not answering any questions for now, I just want to understand better. Just to be clear, are you saying eating only 600 calories a day with those 2 meals? Every day? If so, that is very very dangerous, I'm surprised you don't have more health problems than what you say. The minimum you should be eating is 1200, and sometimes people even disagree with that. (I've seen 1600 as another minimum) According to the gov and all health labels, adult women should be eating around 2000 calories a day, so you are basically starving yourself. Your metabolism is probably very slow because low-calorie diets force your body to take energy from other sources. So your body is burning more muscle than fat because it needs protein. If your metabolic rate is low, losing weight is much tougher. Its also easy to gain lbs that way as well. Another side effect of low calorie diets is death, even though its rare. You really need to take care of yourself girl! I'm not saying this from a "*****y" place, just out of concern.

If I misunderstood you, and you eat more than that per day, then that is good and I apologize for my bluntness, but your post worried me. Anyway, I'm curious what you mean by, "I only eat this and that..." Do you have allergies? Or is it a taste thing?

This is rather personal but since you brought it up....you talked about purging, and vomiting, I guess that means what I think it means. It sounds like this is in the past, and I just wanted to say that I think its great that you have moved beyond that and taken control now.
  • RRAJ18
    RRAJ18 Posts: 4
    Options
    In reply to some of the questions:

1- My doctor is not aware of my diet for two reasons: one being he is a bad doctor that I am hoping to change soon; two I never thought of bringing it up. I never even considered having an eating disorder or going to a therapist

2- I guess my calorie intake is all over the place. I would say half of the week I force myself to eat the 1200 limit. Some days like today I do not have an appetite and only eat 600.

3- What I meant by "I can only have this" is that I just do not like other foods (I am a very picky eater) and I get bored of food quickly. For example, I would eat a certain food normally, after a while I would stop craving it or liking it and stay away from it for months. Some foods I start craving again, other times I don't.

As for the suggestion of mixing foods and trying new recipes, well ... I cannot cook. All my experiences in the kitchen ended with minor burns or bad tasting food.

I guess I have to visit a therapist just to be safe. I had a normal diet until I started losing weight so I probably went the wrong way.

Thanks for all the replies and advice!! :)
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that your absolute minimum BMI is 110 lbs. If you go below that then you have failed to achieve anything
    I think you are forgetting the main issue. Weight loss is just a focus point. True health and fitness is about what you can achieve for yourself, how strong you've become , and the of immunity you have for many illnesses.
    However. I would like to know your secret for finding Plateau whilst dieting. That sounds AMAZING.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • RRAJ18
    Options
    However. I would like to know your secret for finding Plateau whilst dieting. That sounds AMAZING.

If you are asking how I realized that I have hit a plateau it was after a month to a month and a half of dieting without results - even though I was following the same diet all along that had me lose quite a few lbs. After some research I found out that I should change my exercise and eating routine. So i increased my exercising to 7 times a week, one hour jog each day (before I only did 30 to 45 minutes). But I did not get any results and stayed at the same weight. So I figured I should stop dieting for a while and get back to it later - that was in January. And now I started again and will see if I will get results this time. =)
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think you need to have that addressed before even trying to lose weight, because you need to do it the right way. Most people here would agree that "diets" don't work. It has to be a lifestyle change. Diets work for a while, but people always gain the lbs they've lost back. This place isn't just about losing weight, but keeping it off and staying healthy. Eating 600 calories a day is not healthy and is considering starving yourself.

Its interesting to me that you have never considered that might have an eating disorder. Anorexia is defined as someone who has irregular eating habits (like eating 600 cals a day) and is terrified at gaining weight. And Bulimia is defined by someone who binge eats/exercises and then purges it, also from a concern for their weight. I'm not saying you have either because I don't know you, but based on what you said, its possible that this might be the case. I definitely think you should get some help with this. I'm not trying to judge, or be accusatory, just trying to help. I used to have a problem with emotional eating, I'd eat to feel better, or to feel anything while I was depressed. I sometimes ate a whole sandwich just for the taste, even when I was full. When I was full, I'd still eat. Now that I have a better handle on the depression, I don't do this anymore, and its such a relief!!

In regards to everything else you said: I truly believe that anyone can cook if they are taught properly. If you try things yourself, its a lot harder and can result in small kitchen fires. But it takes experience, I don't know how long you've been doing it, but it took me a few years to get it right. Starting with simple things like boiling water, or making a grill cheese. Eggs took longer to figure out. I still have trouble with them sometimes, but that is mainly because my frying pan is old and the non-stick part is gone. Obviously, try to bake last, that is really tough. I still can't get the icing for my cakes correct. The good thing about eating 1200 calories a day is I don't have to cook too much. The most I cook is omletes in the morning and chicken at night. To keep things interesting I buy plenty of different foods for the week and I never eat the same thing the next day. Having some money for this is essential, fresh vegs and fruits are expensive.
  • RRAJ18
    Options
    I think you need to have that addressed before even trying to lose weight, because you need to do it the right way. Most people here would agree that "diets" don't work. It has to be a lifestyle change. Diets work for a while, but people always gain the lbs they've lost back. This place isn't just about losing weight, but keeping it off and staying healthy. Eating 600 calories a day is not healthy and is considering starving yourself.

Its interesting to me that you have never considered that might have an eating disorder. Anorexia is defined as someone who has irregular eating habits (like eating 600 cals a day) and is terrified at gaining weight. And Bulimia is defined by someone who binge eats/exercises and then purges it, also from a concern for their weight. I'm not saying you have either because I don't know you, but based on what you said, its possible that this might be the case. I definitely think you should get some help with this. I'm not trying to judge, or be accusatory, just trying to help. I used to have a problem with emotional eating, I'd eat to feel better, or to feel anything while I was depressed. I sometimes ate a whole sandwich just for the taste, even when I was full. When I was full, I'd still eat. Now that I have a better handle on the depression, I don't do this anymore, and its such a relief!!

In regards to everything else you said: I truly believe that anyone can cook if they are taught properly. If you try things yourself, its a lot harder and can result in small kitchen fires. But it takes experience, I don't know how long you've been doing it, but it took me a few years to get it right. Starting with simple things like boiling water, or making a grill cheese. Eggs took longer to figure out. I still have trouble with them sometimes, but that is mainly because my frying pan is old and the non-stick part is gone. Obviously, try to bake last, that is really tough. I still can't get the icing for my cakes correct. The good thing about eating 1200 calories a day is I don't have to cook too much. The most I cook is omletes in the morning and chicken at night. To keep things interesting I buy plenty of different foods for the week and I never eat the same thing the next day. Having some money for this is essential, fresh vegs and fruits are expensive.

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions and concerns! =) I'll take it step by step from now on!
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This^^^definitely this!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should definitely address all of this with a reliable doctor. Sooner rather than later.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "What are some suggestions to improve my appetite, health, stamina, strength, and weight loss?"

How about NOT doing all the stuff you are doing now? That would be a great place to start. Your diet is a train wreck. Fix your brain, and the rest will fix itself.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As for the suggestion of mixing foods and trying new recipes, well ... I cannot cook. All my experiences in the kitchen ended with minor burns or bad tasting food.

Take a cooking class. Seriously. Almost anyone can learn to cook with a good instructor and some practice. Some people can learn from books. If you're one, try Mark Bittman's book How to Cook Everything: The Basics. (This is not the same as "How to Cook Everything".) The Basics book includes instructions on techniques, and the building blocks of a meal.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options

THIS. Also, I eat only egg whites just because I want to bring my cholesterol down and its a lot lower in calories.

Former is wrong. An egg can be fertilized and still not contain a baby chicken. That requires heat either from a hen or an incubator. More biology for you, a rooster is not required for hens to lay eggs. Eggs do not need refrigeration either.

Latter: current research suggests that there is not an association between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Eat the whole egg it is better for you. The yolk has the proper balance of good and bad cholesterol and is proven to improve both numbers if eaten. The yolk also has fat which makes it taste great.

OP seek competent professional help. Your diet needs to stop being about anything other than nutrition. Improve your self esteem, fix the mental diet issues, start a physical fitness program and then you can start working on reaching your healthy lifetime weight.