african american hair and exercise???

Options
1235»

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am not natural but i was having the same issue when working out. I was washing my hair everyday then styling it (which i kno isnt healthy). So i decided it would be best to just cut it short, but im still having the same issue because i cant just wash my hair and go like i thought i could. I work out in the mornings right before work because its more convenient with my job being close to the gym. Are there any suggestions as to how to style my hair without heat or any products i can use to activate the wave that i do have?

I am relaxed and wash my hair with sulfate free shampoo only, then use a tiny amount of styling oil or coconut oil lightly on the ends (you could just use a good deep conditioner too). My favorite is Organix Awapuhi Ginger dry styling oil. Then I bobby pin my hair back - or tie it back if I'm too lazy- into a few "ponytails" down my head. Like one at the top, another right under it, and another under that, all connected. Sorry hard to explain. But this keeps my hair from getting too frizzy and still allows it to curl and be cute enough to style later in the day. I can also just part my hair and leave it loose and let it air dry and it drys naturally with a light wave, but my hair is really fine and more straight than curly so that might not be an option for you. But you could try it! Hope that helps!
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm natural and wear my hair straightened (blown out) quite often. If my hair is fresh wrapping it and letting it dry afterwards help. If i have had it straightened for about a week, i put dax grease on my edges and put it in a high/tight ponytail with a scarf. my blow-outs still last for 2 weeks!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good info here! :flowerforyou:
  • blissrunner13
    Options
    xxxx
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My hair is natural, I have it plaited under a scarf while I am working out. I sweat like crazy. I also see my other gals and guys in the gym with the same type of head gear - colour no issues - black, indian and white. No one wants to be worrying about their hair in the gym.
  • Feliciapooh
    Options
    I'm not relaxed but I when I wear my hair straight I usually put my hair into two pigtails on the crown of my head like Mickey mouse ears . I use lots of pins to make sure it stays all in place. Then put my scarf on my edges. I leave it alone until it's dry.
    .when my hair is curly I just put in to a puff ball then I'm done for the whole day.