Trying on Veganism - seeing if it fits.

Options

Replies

• scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying out vegetarianism - no real impact on my hunger levels, but I think my weight loss has stalled somewhat and I'm struggling to hit my protein macro.

Any quick and easy tips for getting more protein into my diary? I'm always on the go, so I live off things like pre-prepared salad, hummus, etc. I have a nut allergy which makes it difficult.

If I can't get this to work for me health-wise, it's going to have to be back to the meat...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It fits me like a pink tutu in winter. Fun for game or two but that's about it.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    scb515,

Obiously, beans. Quinoa is a grain that has a surprisingly high protein count. Sweet potatoes. Peas. Corn. Brocolli.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    scb515,

Obiously, beans. Quinoa is a grain that has a surprisingly high protein count. Sweet potatoes. Peas. Corn. Brocolli.

Edamame as well is a great source.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan now for about 2 years, and I find that I have to be a "mindful vegan". When I focus on unprocessed grains (rice instead of rice cakes., e.g.), don't fall for "vegan" cookies, etc., eat 2 lbs of veggies per day, and 3 fruits...calorie intake moderates itself.

If I eat, e.g., some processed grain vegan cereal, a vegan snack bar., vegan/gluten free bread rolls, vegan cookies, I can actually gain weight.

For me, the key is combining unprocessed vegan choices with making veggies my focus.

You may want to investigate some of the groups on MFP: Perimeter Eater and, Eat to Live.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP,

Are you doing this under doctor supervision? I would hope so since you're a diabetic and cardiac patient... :ohwell:
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd call me flexitarian. I've been vegan for a very short period (it's way too hard when you do it for ethical reasons). I was vegetarian for a number of years. Became a carnivore when I started working with small, independent family farmers who were trying to organize against the big factory farms. I figured if I knew the person who raised it, I knew it was humanely treated, etc. etc. etc., I could eat it to support their cause. Now, I'm back to a more vegetarian lifestyle. If I do eat meat, it's only at my evening meal, and it's usually lean protein like fish or chicken. I forgot how good I felt eliminating meat from my diet. Works for some. Not for others, but I'm really liking the 'flex' approach as I don't beat myself up if I enjoy some sushi. I'd say I'm vegetarian 95% of the time. And I gotta say, my weight problems didn't start until I started eating meat. I know, calories in, calories out. But I can eat 'more' in terms of volume being a vegetarian and feel satiated. Eating a steak was such a blow to my daily caloric intake. It was mighty tasty, but high in cals. I'd rather have roasted curried cauliflower with grains and nuts - a HUGE bowl is only 500 calories. In fact, I can rarely finish a full serving. I just like this lifestyle. I'd probably be completely vegetarian if it weren't for my husband who is 100% carnivore. He's more paleo/low carb. Makes meal time in our house interesting.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a longtime vegetarian, vegan for six months or so. (Ethical reasons)
    For me, the transition was easy.
    The hardest part is staying away from vegan "junk" like oreos, etc when I'm too lazy to cook a real meal.

The effects have been incredible! My skin is clearer, my hair and nails are very strong.
    I usually get sick often, but I haven't had even a cold since I changed my diet.
    Also, because of the increased (fruit and vegetable) carb intake, my energy levels are through the roof!

I try to eat mostly low fat, low sodium, unprocessed, foods.
    Fruits, veggies, oatmeal, quinoa, beans, brown rice, sweet and white potatoes.
    Occasionally I will indulge in dark chocolate, nuts, or seeds, but the high fat makes me feel lethargic.

Make sure to eat an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables, monitor your b12.
    Good luck ^__^
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying out vegetarianism - no real impact on my hunger levels, but I think my weight loss has stalled somewhat and I'm struggling to hit my protein macro.

Any quick and easy tips for getting more protein into my diary? I'm always on the go, so I live off things like pre-prepared salad, hummus, etc. I have a nut allergy which makes it difficult.

If I can't get this to work for me health-wise, it's going to have to be back to the meat...

Seitan is my favorite for getting in extra protein, I like to think of it as the lean meat of the veggie world. I feel so much better if I can eat a couple of ounces of it throughout the day for a protein boost. It's made of gluten. I make my own but there's ready-made as well, Upton's is one brand and they do both packaged seitan like lunchmeat at lots of grocery stores and they have ready made sandwiches at Whole Foods too. I also like soy curls - similar to TVP but better texture IMO - but those require some prep.

Also everyone who eats vegan/plant based or even mostly that way needs to research vegan nutrition. It's not hard, but it requires planning, especially when you're restricting calories, and some things like B12 & D do not occur naturally in the vegan diet (actually D doesn't occur naturally in most people's diets because there aren't many naturally occuring dietary sources, but I digress).

http://www.veganhealth.org/ <--- run by a vegan RD, very good basic information. I am not vegan or vegetarian, but when I cook it's almost always a vegan recipe. The processed foods I eat generally aren't, plus I take fish oil pills, but I do what's sustainable for me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What are the specific protein sources you folks are going to?

I'm not going to try a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle any time soon, particularly since I tend to kill most of my own meat. However, I don't always want meat for a protein source, so I've been looking.

From what I can tell, tempeh and seitan are big ones, but those are heavily wheat based, right?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    What are the specific protein sources you folks are going to?

I'm not going to try a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle any time soon, particularly since I tend to kill most of my own meat. However, I don't always want meat for a protein source, so I've been looking.

From what I can tell, tempeh and seitan are big ones, but those are heavily wheat based, right?

Black beans have a decent amount of protein.

Here is a list of other sources:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

#1 Sun-Dried Tomatoes 258 calories Protein: 14% Carb: 56% Fat: 2% Other (water): 28%
    #2 Soybean Sprouts 125 calories Protein: 13% Carb: 9% Fat: 7% Other (water): 71%
    #3 Winged Beans 148 calories Protein: 12% Carb: 28% Fat: 1% Other (water): 59%
    #4 Lentil Sprouts 106 calories Protein: 9% Carb: 22% Fat: 0% Other (water): 69%
    #5 Baby Lima Beans 132 calories Protein: 8% Carb: 25% Fat: 0% Other (water): 67%
    #6 Garlic 149 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 33% Fat: 0% Other (water): 61%
    #7 Dried Seaweed(Sushi Nori) 306 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 81% Fat: 0% Other (water): 13%
    #8 Grape Leaves 93 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 17% Fat: 1% Other (water): 76%
    #9 Green Peas 77 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 81%
    #10 Succotash(Corn And Limas) 115 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 1% Other (water): 70%
    #11 Wasabi Root 109 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 0% Other (water): 71%
    #12 Portabella Mushrooms 35 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #13 Spinach 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 1% Other (water): 90%
    #14 Alfalfa Sprouts 23 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 2% Fat: 1% Other (water): 93%
    #15 Peas And Onions 70 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 82%
    #16 White Mushrooms 44 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%
    #17 Broccoli Raab 33 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 3% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #18 Straw Mushrooms 32 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #19 Brussels Sprouts 41 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 88%
    #20 Balsam-Pear (Bitter Gourd) 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #21 Podded Peas 52 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 9% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #22 Shiitake Mushrooms 48 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #23 Peas And Carrots 53 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #24 Turnip Greens 29 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #25 Sweet Corn 108 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 25% Fat: 1% Other (water): 71%
    #26 Oyster Mushrooms 43 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #27 Kale 50 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 10% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #28 Artichokes (Globe Or French) 47 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #29 Chives 30 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 1% Other (water): 92%
    #30 Asparagus 24 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #31 Broccoli 28 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #32 Cauliflower 32 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #33 Collards 36 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%
    #34 Parsley 36 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 1% Other (water): 90%

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php#HcSWgRRHz1LX8ZWU.99
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    RE: Protein I have an a.m. smoothie of 2 scoops Alive Pea Protein, 16 oz of almond milk and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. A great way to get a hit of protein in the a.. and tasty, too!

Also, for long time mindful vegans..I've noticed I just feel better. Fewer illnesses, more energy, better sleep.
  • baldmitch
    Options
    Hollydubs - my cardiologist said he had no problem with it, and he even suggested a couple of fad diets his patients have had success with. My endocrinologist - I usually see his PA, who doesn't see a problem with it. With the positive effects it has had on my blood sugar in just a week, I'm sure my endocrinologist would be a cheerleader.

My GP's have been trying to get me towards more plants and grains and less meat since my diagnosis. Same with my nutritionist.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hollydubs - my cardiologist said he had no problem with it, and he even suggested a couple of fad diets his patients have had success with. My endocrinologist - I usually see his PA, who doesn't see a problem with it. With the positive effects it has had on my blood sugar in just a week, I'm sure my endocrinologist would be a cheerleader.

My GP's have been trying to get me towards more plants and grains and less meat since my diagnosis. Same with my nutritionist.

That's interesting to me.

Of course, more fruits/vegetables are good, but I wondered what a doctor would say about eating more grains since you are diabetic. The diabetics I know in real life avoid it because of the effect it has on their blood sugar.
  • baldmitch
    Options
    There's a misconception among uninformed diabetics that foods with sugar or carbohydrates are bad. I know I avoided carrots and sweet potatoes in my first years, and sweet potatoes are one of the absolute best foods for diabetics.

Unless you go totally Atkins, sugars and carbs are unavoidable. The trick is to get the other nutrients as well as the sugar. Refined bleached flour white bread spikes blood sugar levels, whole grain wheat bread does not have near white bread spikes, and your body needs the fiber. Orange juice is not as nutritious as an orange, because with the juice you are getting all the sugar and practically none of the fiber.

Getting to know the glycemic index - while it can get complicated - is better than stereotyping foods into black-and-white lists. There are no bad foods, just have to know when, how, and why to eat them.

The proof is in the results. My blood sugar is now controllable eating fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains, and just two weeks ago it was regularly out of control eating more meat, dairy, processed foods and oil, and very little fresh plant based foods and whole grains, even though I wasn't eating a lot of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. And these results are not uncommon among those adopting a vegan diet.
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the group addys...just what I was looking for!!!!:smile:
  • baldmitch
    Options
    So 8 weeks a vegan: the day after Father's Day to today. Whole-food, plant-based diet.

Highlights: 26 lbs lost. Doctor took me off insulin. Exercise regularly with measurable progress and more energy.

No major problems: one day, had honey-wheat bread when nothing else was available, and I had to relinquish my Vegan ID card for a week. Found out another "healthy" bread I bought had milk in it.

Have no problem cooking meat for the family, picking up son's pizza. I don't ever feel deprived.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Please don't call it veganism if you are still using leather and other animal products.
    You are on a plant-based diet.
    Congrats on your progress.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have done the Plant Strong thing and LOVED it! It was amazing how quickly health issues resolved when doing it.

It was easier then I thought, until winter came, then I went back to my meat eating ways. I am a seasonal Plant Strong eater. I realized that I got so spoiled eating fresh in season local produce (belonged to a CSA) that the crap at the grocery store had no flavors. I was planning on doing picking and freezing so I could eat like that all year. But atlas, due to many issues this spring and summer- I never got around to planting my garden or going to u-pick farms to stock up. Maybe I can get my act together for next year.

Good for you for trying it! I recommend joining a good CSA that can introduce you to a wide variety of foods that you may never otherwise try. It really pushed my cooking skills, and was one of the best things I have ever done to learn healthy cooking.
  • baldmitch
    Options
    Also - questions on protein came up.

My new favorite sources are tempeh and seitan. Since I do strength training, I also use a vegan protein powder from Plantfusion on strength training days.