Weigh-In tips anyone? Morning or Night

Options
So my food diary and I seem to be getting along pretty good. The scale and I- not so much! Just curious if people found a "best time" to do their weigh-ins. I'm finding that I seem to "weigh more" in the afternoons after I have been up, mobile and EATEN LOL I would think that the mornings would be the best time since my body is rested and "normal" Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• troutrouter
    Options
    Try to weigh in at the same time each time you weigh in. I weigh in in the morning after I use the restroom and before breakfast every Thursday. Also try to wear the same amount of clothing.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Pick a time that works for you and weigh on the same day at the same time each time (morning, before lunch, before bed, etc.). Try not to weigh yourself more than once a week because your weight can go up/down by a few pounds during the same week.

I prefer to weigh Saturday morning right after I wake up and use the restroom, and before eating.
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning, after a bathroom stop. I figure that's the lightest I'll be all day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Always after you wake up, go to the bathroom, and before you eat or drink anything. Otherwise the scale will be measuring you plus the fluids and foods sitting in your body. Not that you won't have any left over by morning, but it's likely to be the most consistent.
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All I can do is second what others have said - the best time to weigh yourself is in the mornings, at the same or very similar time every morning and wearing the same amount of clothing. Remember that some clothes are heavier than others, so do compensate for this.

I weigh every day about five minutes after I wake up, wearing only boxers. This way I don't have to worry about added weight from clothes, food or drink consumption, etc.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    +1 for the morning!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :smile: Naked on any morning where I've dona ma bizniz before I have to get ready for work. It fluctuates but the trend is always down
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after using the toilet before I shower. It's the most consistent for me since I drink a ton of water, sometimes even right before bed. By the morning, it's had time to go where it needs to go.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Naked.
    Am after small 20 workout and after bathroom but before breakfast

Everyday except weekends
    roughly same time also +/- 40 MINUTES
  • KellyMoger
    KellyMoger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every Thursday and NOT in between.
    Naked.
    Post bathroom.
    Pre-shower (Wet hair's too heavy)!

Happy weighing :)
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I try and weigh myself every hour on the hour. :tongue:
    Actually, I try and keep it to one to two weigh ins a week, first thing in the AM before I have any intake, in my birthday suit and after my water works too.

Note; as an ex-wrestler it is very difficult for me not to focus on the numbers and constantly doing weigh-ins, which is why I try not to weigh myself more than twice a week. Otherwise, I would focus on the numbers and start to go down a rabbit hole and start eating poorly.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Weekend mornings, after the gym, before shower. Naked.

(and YES, wet hair DOES make the scale a lb heavier)
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, pick one time and stick with it.

As others have said, I weigh myself first thing in the morning, naked. I usually weigh the least at that point because I haven't eaten or drunk anything in 8+ hours.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Weekend mornings, after the gym, before shower. Naked.

(and YES, wet hair DOES make the scale a lb heavier)

Speaking from experience: that last part is only if you have relatively long hair and you haven't squeezed/toweled it dry a bit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning , after using the bathroom, before I eat or drink anything
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Friday mornings. If I mess up on my diet it will always be on a Friday night or Saturday so it gives me all week to fix it!! :-)
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone here, weigh early as possible am, after bathroom before breakfast.
    Plus always in the same place, on the same carpet in the same room etc, flattest place (House must be wonky) I tested a few areas and picked the most consistent, sounds obsessive..but it needs to be accurate right ? :)
    I also usually take the average of three measurements in the same few mins, if there is a slight difference between the first and second, I do a third.
    Best of luck :)
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try to weigh in at the same time each time you weigh in. I weigh in in the morning after I use the restroom and before breakfast every Thursday. Also try to wear the same amount of clothing.
    This, except I do it naked. :D
  • rkimmins
    rkimmins Posts: 3
    Options
    Try not to become addicted to the scale. Your weight will fluctuate day-by-day and hour-by-hour. If you drink 8 oz of water and weight yourself you will be up half a pound. My recommendation is to weight yourself once a week on the same day and at the same time. I think weighting first thing in the morning before you start eating and drinking is best for me.

My concern is that you may be looking for the support and gratification of your efforts as measured in weight loss. But its not that simple. If you are increasing your exercise then you may actually be building muscle. Muscle development is wonderful and increases your metabolism which leads to weight loss. Fat does not increase your metabolism. The net effect might be that you have gained a pound in muscle and lost a pound in fat. This being the case then the "scale" shows that you haven't accomplished anything when the opposite is true.

A couple of suggestions are first, get a scale that also shows body fat index. This type of scale provides you a better snapshot of how your are progressing. Second, track your weight and body fat index weekly over an extended time to show your trends. Trends are better than a quick snapshot once a day. Third, look into getting a activity monitor such as FitBit or other similar device. Start measuring your success as measured by your activities and use MFP to make sure you are eating the proper amount of calories everyday and track your nutrients. Your goal is safe weight loss and improved health. And my last suggestion is to begin using a tape measure to track your body in key areas such as waist, hips and thighs. Using a variety of metrics will provide you with a more complete gage of your success.

When we over rely on the scale it demonstrates that we are impatient and tired of being overweight. We want weight loss NOW because we are frustrated with being fat. And when we get up one morning and see that we have gained a pound after we worked so hard then we become depressed. It is better to develop a longterm strategy for weight loss and health then stay the course.

Good luck with your endeavors.:love:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    First thing every Saturday morning after the bathroom, before breakfast. No more often that that.