i need cold lunch ideas!

Options
I'm in school everyday alll day, I have no access to a microwave so I need to pack a cold lunch..I'm gonna get sick of string cheese and fruit real quick, so I am looking for something different..I also need to add moreprotein to my diet..I don't eat lunchmeat anymore because it is sooo high in sodium, i tend to go over on sodium and sugar..any help will be appreciated:)..oh an I'm on a budget so cheap ideas please lol
M

Replies

• bethann1976
    Options
    Starkist tuna pouches
  • klewis1119
    Options
    I went to walmart and got the premade salad and then bought chicken in a can and ate a chicken salad with italian dressing. it was ironically very filling
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I just had
    200g tuna
    150g four bean mix
    75g salsa
    2 chillies

Tasty as, very high protein. Not good for your sodium though.

336 cals
    25g carbs
    4g fat
    48g protein
    1021mg sodium

My other favourite is
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 tbspn natural peanut butter
    1 tspn honey

Also, very high protein but not that great sodium.

402 cals
    23g carbs
    18g fat
    36g protein
    877mg sodium
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Glucerna protein shakes are good for meal replacements.
    Lunchables to go but the turkey ones.
    Fruit cup or fresh fruit is good for snacking.
    Tuna to go..,easy to open containers
    Mainly don't forget your vitamins

:) Add me if you want too :)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    spinach
    farkay steam fried noodles (in the "ethnic" aisle of your supermarket)
    shredded carrots
    red peppers
    oranges
    Asian salad dressing
    grilled fish (salmon is super awesome)

I'm ADDICTED to these salads. Low calorie and super high in protein thanks to the fish which tastes awesome cold!
  • AndyPatt
    Options
    Hi Can I Suggest you try and grab yourself a tray of mixed Sushi slices works out at only 360 Calories - Easy see's you through to evening dinner, & for the small amounts,! its suprising how filling its is too.
  • shannondecamp
    Options
    I really like a Thomas Bagel Thin with some hummus and cucumber slices maybe a bit of lettuce. Delicious!
  • lmcosle
    Options
    Whole grain tortilla, fat free cream cheese. spinach, sliced tomato, red onion sliced thin or any vegetable you like. Spread cream cheese on tortilla, layer with veggies, roll up and chill then slice into pinwheels.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    How about a big leaf of lettuce stuffed with your favorite lunch meat or canned chicken or tuna, then rolled up... Maybe stuffed with a little cheese or dill relish? Hold it together with a toothpick until lunchtime. Or a tortilla shell smeared with refried beans and salsa... rolled up or burrito style. Cooked baby carrots are great cold. A salad with cold grilled chicken strips on top is good too.

Watch out for the Lunchables... low-calorie, but LOADED with sodium!
  • aechristy
    aechristy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dice or shred up some leftover chicken breast from last night's dinner and put it over a salad with cucmbers.... probably one of my favorite quick lunches. Or shred it and put some dried cranberries and walnuts in with a little bit of low-fat mayo.... Yummy Chicken salad.
  • ertgreg
    ertgreg Posts: 16
    Options
    For the people that like chicken on their salads Aldi's has a precooked south western chicken in a small package "not canned". 1 serving is 110 calories. Makes a great topping to salad or a rollup.
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    take a 1 can of chick peas, black beans, red beans and kidney beans, drain/rinse them and mix in chopped veggies (peppers, onions and more)....mix in imitation crab and your favorite seasonings......add a little olive oil and a splash of vinegar........this is a high fiber/protein dish that requires no cooking or heating and it tastes even better the 2nd day....you can even eat it on whole wheat crackers!
  • JanisPauline
    Options
    Home made Chicken or Salmon Salad:

Cook 2 portions of either Chicken breast or Salmon fillet for your dinner and use the extra one to prepare a Salad. After dinner slice or cube the second chicken breast or Salmon and put in a sealable container. Add 2 tbsp. homemade oil and vinegar dressing I part vinegar and 1 part Olive oil. Add sesonings of your choice (example: Salt, Pepper, grated Parmesan cheese, basil, Rosemary). You can refrigerate this and shake well before using. It is far healthier and cheaper than commercial dressings.
    Then seal the container (keep separate from salad greens or the salad will become wilted and watery.)
    Put approximately 4.5 oz of rinsed and dried Salad greens of your choice in a Separate container and seal. (dried in a Salad Spinner or wrap in a clean tea towel and pat dry)

Put both containers in your lunch bag and refrigerate. In the morning grab and go. This meal is healthy and filling. you may want to have a cup of hot Green Tea or coffee to complete the meal. I drink my hot liquid after the meal and it satifsies me and keeps me feeling full. Sometimes I drink chicken broth or beef broth made from a bouillion cube with one cup of water, heated in microwave for about two minutes, stir. You can keep a stash of tea bags and bouillion cubes in your desk or locker at work.

I buy a large container of extra virgin olive oil at olive Sam's Club and refrigerate it. It becomes solid when refrigerated, so I set it out to become liquid again and pour only what I can use in a week in an oil cruet. I t is the healthiest oil, but should only be poured over food after it is prepared, as cooking heat destroys some of its health properties.

A little planning ahead makes healthy eating easy and fun and tasty!:
    :tongue:
  • msapplenomore
    Options
    Red roasted pepper hummus in a wrap ( be careful though to measure the portion of hummus) You can add sliced peeled apples and lettuce for crunch and it's optional for extra flavor you can bring a tiny bit of low cal balsamic or italian dressing on the side. I just add about a 1/2 a tablespoon or 1 tablespoon of dressing and sometimes skip the dressing.