would a heart rate monitor work?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
HI all,

I'm looking into buying a heart rate monitor and wonder if it would work in my case or if it would only be annoying: My Hmax is at around 205 and my normal workout rate at around 175-185 without feeling dizzy. Normal cardio machines constantly complain about my heart rate, and the beeping simply annoys me.

Yes, I'm also curious about how many kcal I burn during my workout, thus it should be able to calculate that but take my normal-just-existing calorie usage out of the equation if possible.

Water or sweatproof might be good.

Lastly: it should be compatible with a windows pc.

Any suggestions? I'll have to order via the internet and ship abroad thus I want to be sure I buy the right product.

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    All decent HR monitors allow you stage your own working HR range and most also let you set up your own HR zones too.

I am a fan of the reviews by DCRainmaker (just google that). Very detailed and includes best-choice sections for different budgets.

My own personal experience was that after having a polar HR montor for a year, I really wished I'd bought one with a GPS so I went out and spent more money to get a garmin. Both great devices
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I personally love my Polar FT7. Have had it now for 2 years and still works like a champ. The FT4 is the cheaper but just as good version. With both models you can set your own HR zone and turn off the sound notifications (I do).

I've also heard lots of folks say good things about Garmin.

I would make a list of what you are looking for (GPS, Logging capability, etc) and then see what fits your criteria.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    + 1 for the dc rainmaker reference, he does great in depth reviews, i have use polar,never had any issues with them so i always recommend those.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    HI all,

I'm looking into buying a heart rate monitor and wonder if it would work in my case or if it would only be annoying: My Hmax is at around 205 and my normal workout rate at around 175-185 without feeling dizzy. Normal cardio machines constantly complain about my heart rate, and the beeping simply annoys me.

Yes, I'm also curious about how many kcal I burn during my workout, thus it should be able to calculate that but take my normal-just-existing calorie usage out of the equation if possible.

Any suggestions? I'll have to order via the internet and ship abroad thus I want to be sure I buy the right product.

Polar RS300X is going to have better estimate for calorie aspect, because it includes required stat, and self-test to get it.
    The cheaper Polars are missing that ability.

The cheaper Polar's also only have 1 HR range setting, the upper one, and you buy the not so cheap one to get audible on it.
    The better one has upper and lower zones, and audio alarm is optional, in case your training has gotten serious and you want to be in specific zones.

Ditto's to DCRainmaker to find what you really want.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    HI all,

I've got a Polar H7. It links with Bluetooth to my iPhone 4s. I'm using the Polar Beat app, which syncs with an online account, if you sign up. This is convenient, because it doesn't need an extra pricey gadget to hook it up to a PC, Windows or otherwise... It'll already be there, when you log on....
    The H7 will link with gym equipment only if you want it to, which saves batteries (those are standard, and easy to replace, BTW...). GPS works well with my phone, accurate almost to the yard (tested in the pool or on the track).
    It is definitely sweat-proof, I took it swimming. I left the phone on the bench, and the signal carried nicely from one end of the pool to the other. HOWEVER, many have complained that the signal will occasionally get lost in the water... I have the advantage, I can tuck the chest strap under the sports bra top, and it will stay in place.
    Check out the features on the Polar website.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like a lot about the Polar RS400, but it needs an infrared port to upload the data to the PC.

Saying that, I really like it for hilly walking, rowing machine, exercise bike, and on-water activities.

As others have said check out the in-depth reviews, and I think you need to know what you wish to use it for.