I've Plateaued

Options
I changed my diet months ago to a healthier and more regular diet. It was tough to begin with but so worth it, and it's now my new normal. I've been working out as well, and so I had lost 33lbs. Unfortunately I went away for a music festival and ate nothing but crap and gained 5lbs in a weekend. This was at the end of May. I haven't been able to get those 5lbs off, I've been working out and my diet is back to normal. I don't eat junk food/processed food, and I've been going to the gym a few times a week as well.

Has anyone got any suggestions that may help? I can see my motivation slipping away very quickly.

Replies

• JenniferDukes1991
    JenniferDukes1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've plateaued as well!!! Just keep going with the diet, maybe do a bit more cardio at the gym? I've never found a quick fix that wasn't in the form of diet pills :/ Just keep going, maybe try and weigh yourself a bit less to try and keep the motivation up? are you drinking enough? I always retain water if I'm dehydrated and that can make me stay the same weight or even put on! Its so rubbish when this happens... hope you don't loose motivation, sorry i wasn't more helpful! x
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you both posted. Cause I have hit that wall as well. I did just go back and add real pictures of myself as I have progressed and that made me feel better.
    I don't have any real advice because I woke up feeling the same way . All I know is today is better than it used to be and realistically if I keep going and don't give up then it will start going down again but if I give up now there is nothing to stop it from going up again(my weight)
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Remember why you started this journey. Dig out old pics of you 30 lbs ago and remeber how it felt and what made you start dieting. Switch up your workout routine to overcome a plateau but do not give up!!! If you like, send me a friend request and I will be happy to ride your *kitten* till you get back on track.

B
  • matthehat
    matthehat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was on a three week plateau and it was killer! Then one week I weighed myself and was down four pounds. Have no clue how or why, I was doing the same thing. The human body is very strange sometimes, stick without you'll get past this! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your logging make sure it's accurate. If you aren't losing you aren't in a deficit. You mention not eating crap which is a good thing as eating crap is just gross and unsanitary. But you never mentioned how many calories you are consuming.

Here's some information & links that you should read that will help:

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone. Honestly I think I'm just having a really bad go of it recently.

JenniferDukes thank you for the tips about the water. I'm always being told that I don't drink enough water. I'm never thirsty so drinking liquid of any kind has always been somewhat of a challenge for me unless it's with a meal.

jodhosken and mrhonesty thank you for the advice about the pics. I have looked back at there is a massive difference. I've even been seeing people this week who I haven't seen in a while who have commented on my weight loss. It's just difficult when I don't see it myself.

If you don't mind mrhonesty I will add you as a friend. I'm going to try mixing up my workouts, try something new.

Thanks matthehat and jwhited71 for the links and advice. Calorie-wise i'm within 1500 every day. I eat a lot of fresh foods and veg, and i'm very honest with my food diary, there's no point in lying to myself. maybe I just need to be patient.

Again thanks everyone.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • shiichanchick
    shiichanchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was on a 2-month plateau starting around February. Last month, I lost 6 lbs. I'm back to a plateau. Again.

Everyone knows that it's frustrating. You get so addicted to seeing those numbers fly by, and you start hearing the compliments from coworkers and friends. You start fantasizing about being down 15 lbs in just a few months, and it's impossible not to latch onto that. When you hit that plateau, it's like you're going through withdrawal. And it's so. Dang. Frustrating.

But what gets me through is knowing this isn't my first and last plateau. I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm doing the exact same stuff I did to get me past those 6 lbs last month. Though the number's not budging, that doesn't mean my body's not changing. Focus on NSV (non-scale victories). For instance, though I haven't lost anything in two weeks, the jeans I bought three weeks ago are loose now. Though the scale acts like I haven't worked any harder, I just recently increased the resistance on the elliptical and can run faster than I could a month ago. Focus on what IS happening, not what's NOT happening. Get addicted to those victories. The rest will catch up in its own time.
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?

I'm in :) Thank you so much
    But what gets me through is knowing this isn't my first and last plateau. I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm doing the exact same stuff I did to get me past those 6 lbs last month. Though the number's not budging, that doesn't mean my body's not changing. Focus on NSV (non-scale victories). For instance, though I haven't lost anything in two weeks, the jeans I bought three weeks ago are loose now. Though the scale acts like I haven't worked any harder, I just recently increased the resistance on the elliptical and can run faster than I could a month ago. Focus on what IS happening, not what's NOT happening. Get addicted to those victories. The rest will catch up in its own time.

Thanks shiichanchick. My measurements have been up and down by half inches everywhere. I know my endurance is up. I suppose you're right and I just need to start looking at it from different angles.
  • Thor_Girl
    Thor_Girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just because sometimes we hit the "wall" doesn't mean we are only restricted to the distance behind us. You have to be patient and push through the struggles to experience the accomplishments ahead. When your life seems repetitive or boring you need to view from a different perspective. Stick at it. Your hard work will pay off :)
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Thank you for those kind words Thor_Girl.

In fact thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. You've really helped me grab the rope and start to pull myself back out of this. You've all been so supportive and kind, I'm somewhat overwhelmed.

Thank you thank you thank you!
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Did you steal my body? Seriously, I could have written this nearly word for word (of course, my "music festival" was three months of eating at maintenance :grumble: ) Since getting serious again, I've been kicking butt all month long, and I haven't lost a pound. My measurements don't seem to be changing either, but maybe, a pair of jeans feel a little more roomy than they did last month. Who knows? I feel your frustration. I am, however, determined not to let this kill my motivation. My scale is going into the garage for a few weeks. I'm upping my weights during my workouts, and I'm going to see what happens. Continuing to do the right thing will eventually cause the changes we so desperately want. I am convinced of that. I mean it has to, right?
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Get out and live. Find your thing and get out there and do it. What I mean is you've lost some weight, you feel better and maybe it's time ot do stuff that you could not do before that you always wanted to.

I've done everything from distance swimming, to Ironman, to adventure races.

Right now I play softball 2 nights a week - gives me social reason to stay on track, gives great exercise, and IT's FUN!

I run on my own, but am also trainign my fiance for her first Marathon, we are registered for Disney in Jan. Give running and diet purpose.

I ride my bike to commute. It contributes to a century ride I have planned for in the fall to raise funds..... It's FUN!

Maybe look up local charity events and train for something you believe in.

FIND YOUR FUN and go live.

I have never found the scale and the mirror to be much motivation.

Sweat Daily
    Todd
  • lisabach72
    lisabach72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've plateaued as well, lost almost 16 lbs since end of Feb, just started with mfp 40 days ago and lost 3 more but supposed to be losing a lb per week so should've lost 6. Always under my calorie goal... don't get it!
  • Thor_Girl
    Options
    You are more than welcome hun. I wish you all the bed and believe you will get there x
  • Thor_Girl
    Options
    You are more than welcome hun. I wish you all the best and believe you will get there x
    *best not bed! ????????