Question about going over carbs and fat and not having enoug

Options
Sorry the title is weird: I am going over carbs and fat but not getting enough protein!

Ok so almost every day I go over my carbs (50%) and fat (15%, just to make sure stay low b/c health issues), but usually I don't eat all my protein (35%). The thing is I am not eating AT ALL stuff with white flour, my carbs come form beans, oats, oat bran, fruits and other veggies and they are what keep me satisfied and with energy. I wont give up oat in the morning b/c they help to lower my cholesterol. My fats all come from good monounsutured fat, all the good fats such as olive oil, avocado, fish, flax that helps to lower my triglicerides and cholesterol. Now my proteins, I am not eating enough, I cant fit them in my daily intake, I need help with it. Do you think going over carbs and fat is a very bad thing even when eating very good stuff?? And what can I do to take the needed amount of protein and not go over my fat percentage even more? Ideas please...
If you want you can take a look in my diary.
Thanks!!

Replies

• jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I hope you get some good advice! I am having the same problem, well not so much with the carbs, but protein, just lean protein. I'm going to start having eggs and bacon in the morning and I think cereal for lunch, nor maybe as a snack. If I don't eat the Total, I don't get enough calcium and iron and I am allergic to whey and anemic. This is quite a juggling act isn't it? Just letting you know I feel your pain, sorry I am not more helpful!
  • MrsNeuman
    Options
    Do you like eggs? I would hard boil eggs and have a few egg whites throughout the day, excellent source of protein! :)
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    Turkey burgers are an excellent source of protein. Costco has turkey burgers with 200 calories, 2 carbs, 6 fat, and 35 protein. Also, chicken breast are a great lean protein. Some days I go over on protein, sometimes carbs...I try to balance it out.

BTW...your diary looks good!
  • TiffanyAml
    Options
    Seafood! I thrive off of clams and salmon and CRAB! So much great protein. I have an egg in the morning. Try Larabars for a healthy natural snack. Best tasting bars EVER. I have just started on MFP, I previously was 190 lbs Jan 2010 and now I am 154. Try almonds yum!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your body can only process a certain amount of carbs and fats at one time. If you consume more than you can process the excess will be stored as fat. Definitely try not to go over on either one, even if you're getting them from healthy sources. Do try to get at least your goal for protein, if not more. Being over on protein isn't a big deal, protein helps keep you full and helps you repair your muscles.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I looked at my journal, i am getting a lot of my protein from cheese, so that is not going to help your fat intake. but then, i don't eat the 2% cheese... hmm something to think about. I also eat Arnold Sandwich thins. not a lot of protein in there, but I suspect if you had that with your protein instead of crackers, you might up it a bit there, too.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I get a lot of my protein from peanut butter (I usually have peanut butter toast for breakfast), cottage cheese, and tuna or chicken! I'm not sure if you like any of those, and I don't know the answers to any of your other questions! Sorry. Good luck though!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I need more carbs and fat! I can never eat all of what is recommended for me...I can usually eat about half. I eat very clean (except on cheat days) I have oatmeal with blueberries and half a cup of milk for breakfast, 1/2 pita with 2 ounces of turkey and some veggies for lunch and for dinner I usually eat chicken breast veggiesand whole grain brown rice. My snacks include a smoothie, some raw almonds and 1% cottage cheese. I can't figure out a way to get more carbs in...for me I'd rather eat the filling things like protein and fruit and veggies with some carbs because thats what seems to keep me fuller for longer.
  • mjb123
    mjb123 Posts: 19
    Options
    I study nutrition and the things you are eating are awesome! I wouldn't worry about it!
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, very high in protein; and another new favorite I've discovered is quinoa, also very high in protein.
  • ctblondewitch
    Options
    I would wonder first. since you are eating so many beans are you counting the protiens there? a good protien boost is atkins shakes they are low carb very filling and HIGH 15 gm of protein. beware of egg Yolks. high fat high calories.. I have had gastric bypass and really have to watch the protien issue. I have a 1/4 to 1/2 cup egg substitute, the MEAT only from piece of bacon,( cut fat off) doesnt leave much but tis the flavor, or 1/2 slice deli ham.. a small amount of low fat cheese, veggies if I feel like it and a real light calorie almost no carb , grt protien breakfast. another big protien boost I do is lettuce wraps! 2 oz deli meat 1 slice cheese or a wedge of laughing cow, spread out over 2 nice sized leaves. roll up and chill chrispy and yummy. . do you like canned fish? tuna in water. sardines etc. great low cal high protien items try lemon or balsamic vinagar splash instead of mayo. aslice on wasa bread gives the crunch.. hope this helps good luck.. and no harm intaking iron suppliments! or calcium!:smile:
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I suggest eating vegetarian meats, I know it doesn't sound appetizing but they are actually really good and can be found in most grocery stores. Look into morningstar farms, they have a wide variety of food and everything is low in fat and VERY high in protein.
  • punky2178
    Options
    I have added 100% egg whites for breakfast and since I'm typically
    on the go for my lunch, I do a great whey protein shake for lunch.
    Even if your fats are "good" fats I would try to cut back a little if
    your going over too much. You can still have too much of a good thing.
    Protein is the only thing I allow myself to go over on. I was doing oats
    in the morning too and I still do but have noticed a good egg white omlate
    has been giving me so much fuel to start my day. Hope this helps!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Change your ratios to 55-20-25
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Your beans are a great source of protein! Beans can be both a protein and a carb, they are slow acting carbs so very healthy for our bodies and they can also be used as protein. So perhaps you're not actually going over on carbs if you're counting the beans in that category?
  • aechristy
    aechristy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes, usually in the middle of the day to boost my energy. My boyfriend does full on 40g of protein post workout, I do the little bottled protein shakes from Special K. I don't know how they compare to others, but the french vanilla flavor is yummy!! Also chicken breast is my best friend. I put it on top of salad or eat it in place of potato chips and other junk when I want something savory.
  • Shayla888
    Options
    I boil a couple eggs at the begining of the week and just eat one in the morning with your breakfest they are quick and great protein...As for eating healthy stuff and going over Its not a problem I eat mostly meats and veggies along fruit i try to stay under but i dont worry bout going over some which i do but burn since i do have a lil one to chase after cause you have to relieze you move through out the day so you do burn calories even if you dont consider it exercise. When its healthy stuff your body asorbs and processes better and quicker instead of things like chips and even breading on like fried chicken for example stay in you stomach longer and takes longer to process out so its stays and lingers building fat thats why when you eat healthy you tend to be hungry more because your body actually uses it . So dont stress If its healthy as long as its not fried or drenched in oils
  • veanderson
    Options
    Another good protein meal or snack is cottage cheese with Del Monte diced pears (pour the juice off) and mix the two. Buy a Protein powder at the health food store and make a shake and add 2 Tblsps of Greek Yogurt.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Another good protein meal or snack is cottage cheese with Del Monte diced pears (pour the juice off) and mix the two. Buy a Protein powder at the health food store and make a shake and add 2 Tblsps of Greek Yogurt.
    mm gonna try this one soon, thanks! I love cottage cheese and canned pineapple (in its own juice) so I bet I'd love the one you mentioned and with the protein powder for a good punch!

What type of protein powder do most of you use? Any with whey? I guess I'm simply asking if a lower cost brand is as good as the name brands if all the nutrients are the same in the protein powder worlds. I just know I don't wanna anything with soy.

Also gonna try my hand at making my own Greek yogurt and cheeses, which is gonna be fun, save money and be something new to try. I do love Chobani but it does add up, especially now that I realize just how easy it would be to make my own.:tongue:

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • t0h0t4u
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, very high in protein; and another new favorite I've discovered is quinoa, also very high in protein.

this is very true try adding yogurt with your oats in the morning