a confession...

Options
I have a confession to make. As i was reading WebMD yesterday, i came across some info that really opened my eyes to what I've been struggling with the past few weeks. it may seem trivial to you but really bothers me. ive really come to the realization that when i dont get enough sleep (I've only been getting about 4 1/2-5 hours a night mon-fri) i really tend to eat more and seem to be famished!! webMD states that lack of sleep will do that to you. i know people say not to self-diagnose, but this really applies to me. Since i have switched shifts, I've been eating like a mad woman, and only half logging my food. (Thank God this shift is only temporary!! ) Im sorry for that. I feel like my thoughts are consumed with food; I feel obsessive almost. Ill be having a great day food-wise, then all of a sudden I get this overwhelming urge for something so junky and i give in, and then feel totally ashamed afterward. I hope Im not oversharing, i just had to get this off my chest and felt that my MFP friends might lend a supportive ear(eye). I vow from this day forward to be more honest with my logging. All the hard work ive been doing in the gym means nothing if my food isnt supportive of that effort. thanks for letting me vent. :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep definately has an impact on weight loss.

What I do to prevent that sort of thing when I am tired is I prelog my week...Mon to Fri and then mid week I will prelog Sat and Sun.

It makes it easier for me to plan ahead, have stuff ready and prevents just grabbing "stuff" that is easy...

Now this doesn't mean it isn't altered...ie this morning I was gonna have a protein smoothie...with frozen berries but it's chilly here and I am out of protien powder so I changed it to steak and eggs...easy peasy. No harm no foul.

The other thing that helps is when I do cook dinner I try to make enough for the next day's lunch (as long as someone doesn't grab it for their lunch first) but I always have a back up plan. That's why I could have steak and eggs for breakfast...I cooked enough last night that I could.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with this particular self-diagnosis. Being tired makes everything harder! I'm sure you'll manage to get back on track once you're back to normal shifts!
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    thanks you guys!! and thanks for the ideas on how to get back on track. every bit helps!! :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Makes sense! Didn't get enough energy from sleeping so your body seeks it from a different source. i.e. food.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I used to work 12-hour rotating shifts. It sucks. You're right, it does take a toll on your resolve to eat better and exercise. Hopefully you can get back in a groove once you're on regular shifts.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I have had this on my mind this morning!

I've really been struggling to break a plateau, and I struggle to get enough sleep at night.

Well, last night I slept an entire 8.5 hours and jumped down from 183.2 to 181.8.

I'm wondering if the sleep didn't actually help with that!

I think I'm going to pick up some Melatonin.

I keep putting it off, being a cheap skate, but if sleep is that dang important and I struggle with it, it might be a good investment.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How funny, I recently attended a seminar of sleep disorders and how lack of sleep, or lack or proper restful sleep, can affect you weight loss goals. Here is what I took away from it:

There are two hormones in your body called leptin and ghrelin. They control feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin stimulates appetite, leptin signals to the brain when you are full.

Not getting enough sleep lowers your leptin levels which means you don't feel as satisfied after you eat. Lack of sleep also causes ghrelin levels to rise which means your appetite is stimulated and you want more food.

I had always heard how important sleep was (for so many reasons of course) but never realised how it affected appetite. Makes a ton of sense though.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I used to get very little sleep at night when I worked day shifts and found my weight loss to stall. I switched to a night shift and get at least 7 hours of sleep now and it doesn't stall as much. Your body definitely needs rest!
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always want to eat a lot more when I'm tired! I think there's something to it. Maybe my body is looking for a way to get more energy.
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How funny, I recently attended a seminar of sleep disorders and how lack of sleep, or lack or proper restful sleep, can affect you weight loss goals. Here is what I took away from it:

There are two hormones in your body called leptin and ghrelin. They control feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin stimulates appetite, leptin signals to the brain when you are full.

Not getting enough sleep lowers your leptin levels which means you don't feel as satisfied after you eat. Lack of sleep also causes ghrelin levels to rise which means your appetite is stimulated and you want more food.

I had always heard how important sleep was (for so many reasons of course) but never realised how it affected appetite. Makes a ton of sense though.

OMG!! this makes SO much sense! I was wondering what in the WORLD was WRONG with me! Thanks so much for this info!! :)
    i need a nap.