Cabbage Soup Diet?

Options
I know it's not a diet, but a cleanse that should only be followed for a week, but I've decided to try it to jumpstart my new healthy lifestyle. Anyone ever tried it?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Please don't. It's not a healthy or sustainable way to lose weight. Also, the body does not need a cleanse. It will work just fine on its own. Just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sounds like yuck to me

are you lacking a liver and kindeys?
  • Lina_mas
    Lina_mas Posts: 3
    Options
    Did it when I was younger and knew less - I still cringe at the sight of cabbage now. It’s a quick fix but you will gain it back plus some when you are done. There are better alternatives that have long term results.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sounds both boring and revolting. What's wrong with real food and variety?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for a tomato and cabbage soup. HOWEVER, it's foolish and stupid to do the "diet" of only eating that for a week. You have organs that already cleanse your insides. If you urinate and defecate on at least a weekly basis, you're cleansing.

Don't be foolish please.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I like cabbage/vegetable soup.

But It's not necessary to "cleanse" "jumpstart" or any of that nonsense.

If you find you like cabbage soup/vegetable soup, by all means make a pot and enjoy it for a couple meals and/or freeze some for later.

But please don't think you need to eat it all the time every meal in order to accomplish healthy diet goals.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I like cabbage/vegetable soup.

But It's not necessary to "cleanse" "jumpstart" or any of that nonsense.

If you find you like cabbage soup/vegetable soup, by all means make a pot and enjoy it for a couple meals and/or freeze some for later.

But please don't think you need to eat it all the time every meal in order to accomplish healthy diet goals.

Also, after a while, your pee may start to smell really bad. My hubby hated the last time I made cabbage soup and I didn't even eat it for a week straight. lol
  • NettaB25
    NettaB25 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love the cabbage soup my mother makes (she uses ground turkey), but I wouldn't punish myself by eating it for a week straight.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, never
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a diet, but a cleanse that should only be followed for a week, but I've decided to try it to jumpstart my new healthy lifestyle. Anyone ever tried it?
    Yes I have.
    I don't recommend it, but I suspect that won't stop you.
    Still have nightmares about "vegetable day".

Also, very low calorie diets are frowned upon around here.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've always been a person who automatically discounted crazy diets. I've never been a yo-yo dieter. Granted, my weight has gone up and down but its been rather slowly. Whenever I diet I look strictly at nutrition. So one winter I was looking for recipes and came across the cabbage soup diet. Although the DIET part is stupid the recipe is AWESOME. It has just about every nutrient you need with practically no calories and lots of fiber. I added turkey for the protein. In winter I'd go weeks eating it every day for breakfast and lunch and having a normal dinner.

Eat the soup. Make sure you get your protein. Don't starve yourself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I used to use it as a method to make weight when I was younger and had a combat tournament coming up.

Give it a try, you'll find out whether or not it's good for you or not. I don't think the comments in this thread really are going to stop you afterall.

Just realize, it's not sustainable, and not really good for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The words healthy lifestyle refer to permanent changes like........... "I'm going to exercise regularly" or "I'm going to eat more vegetables." These are my lifestyle changes.

Cleanses & fad diets (from the 1970's) are not lifestyle changes. This diet used to be called the Dolly Parton Diet......now it's transformed into a cleanse?

Tried this in the 70's....yuck....just yuck.