Just getting started...have questions!

Options
ehlamback
ehlamback Posts: 2 Member
Hi! I'm just getting started with MFP and my Fitbit. Here's my question... How do you suggesting entering a weight training class at the gym? I just got back from 45 min. at my Fitness Together studio. We go through so many exercises and some of them are timed so I don't keep up with reps/sets.

Similarly, how do you suggest entering food when you don't have all of the nutritional info? For example, a casserole that someone baked.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and often use the excuse of "If I can't do it perfectly, I'm just going to quit!" So I don't want entering all of the numbers exactly right to consume me then make me give up. Is this familiar to anyone else?!

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• mrshilderley
    Options
    Good job on getting started!!

For the strength training: there is a spot under cardiovascular that you can input strengthtraining when typing it in and it will give you calories.

When there is something that I am not 100 percent on I type it in to see if its already there and if it is I generally go on the highest calorie option.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting can be entered under the cardio tab. As a rule, people only count 50-80% of calories estimated as burned since estimates can be inaccurate. For food, if you don't know you have to get as close as possible. If you know the ingredients, enter those and take the fraction. If it's similar to a restaurant dish, use that as a go by. As long as you don't have to guess too often, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also, logging the reps, sets, and weights for strength exercises does not impact MFP's calorie count. It's really just there to help you track your progress for those exercises. If you don't put them in, it's no big deal.

For things that other people make, you could possibly ask them for the recipe on the pretense that you may want to make it yourself (or maybe it so delicious that you do actually want to make it yourself).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a perfectionist and often use the excuse of "If I can't do it perfectly, I'm just going to quit!"

Dealing with that attitude will be more important for your long term success than anything MFP will offer.