Is yogurt good or bad

Options
I keep seeing different things.... it ranges from "Eating yogurt makes you gain fat" to "eat yogurt everyday to lose weight"

So which is the truth?

I'm on a smoothie diet, and I use strawberry yogurt for some of it (meijer low fat to be precise).... so I'd really like to know whether I need to cut it out or not...

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is bad, as in, it tastes disgusting and I would never eat it.

But, it doesn't make you fat unless it causes you to go over your calorie allotment for the day.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For one thing make sure you check the sugar content it can be quite high also check fat content. Go for something low in fat calories and sugar and add some fruit if you need to sweeten it up. Yogart is good for you because it has live cultures and will help your digestion also the calcium. Hope that helped.:happy:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not all yogurts are created equal. Some are very high sugar. Some use real ingredients, some use fake ingredients. Most yogurt contains live cultures.....but not all.

Greek yogurt - high in protein. Greek yogurt (often) has less sugar because it's strained (or itshould be).....watch for fakes here.

Dietary fat does not make you fat, it's necessary to help your body absorb vitamins. Great for healthy skin, hair, and nails.

All yogurt ......you can't really make a blanket statement.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    No foods are "good" or "bad" unless you are intolerant. No individual food makes you gain weight apart from your total calorie intake and expenditure.

Yogurt is fine and can be a part of a healthy diet. I like Greek yogurt because it is high in protein and I like the texture and flavor.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt cuz I can get 10g of protein for cheap (usually 10 for $10, on sale) and I finally found a brand that tastes good and has less sugar than most. Yoplait Greek 100 - 8g sugar, 12g carbs, 100 cals, 10g protein.
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yogurt isn't quite good or bad
    Me being vegan of course I would say it's bad because I know how they make it
    But it depends what kind of yogurt you get. If you get a yogurt with unnatural ingredients and high fat then it's not very healthy but Greek yogurts with less fat and added sugars are more healthy for you
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt for the protein. I found a low calorie natural (sweetened with stevia) that tastes delcious. Chobani 100 calorie. It has less variety of flavors than the other chobani's but the originals have a lot of sugar. 19+grams in some....

Just pay attention to sugars with yogurt- but if you like it and it fits in your day....I say go for it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What's a "smoothie diet"?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some yogurt tastes very good.

Some yogurt tastes very bad.

I do not eat the yogurt that tastes bad. I like Chobani raspberry and dark chocolate yogurt, though.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    What's a "smoothie diet"?

^^This

I was like wut?? Do you mean you drink ALL of your calories??? You don't chew any food? Are you blending up donuts and pizza?? I am confused?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt is evil and will steal your loose change whilst you aren't looking.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not all yogurts are created equal.

^ This
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Calories in > calories out = fat gain.

It doesn't matter if you eat yogurt, kale and bean sprouts.
    It doesn't matter if you eat sugar, butter and donuts.
    If you eat more than you burn, you will gain fat.

So, yogurt is neutral.
    If you eat it while at a deficit, you will lose weight. If you eat it in excess, you will gain weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Food only makes you fat if you eat more of it than you burn off. ANY food. And no food's going to make you fat if you eat less than you burn off.

Yoghurt is a good source of protein, calcium and fat soluble vitamins (although the low fat variety doesn't have so many of those).
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Where do people even come up with thus stuff, dang.

Why in the world would eating some yogurt make you gain fat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing different things.... it ranges from "Eating yogurt makes you gain fat" to "eat yogurt everyday to lose weight"

So which is the truth?

I'm on a smoothie diet, and I use strawberry yogurt for some of it (meijer low fat to be precise).... so I'd really like to know whether I need to cut it out or not...

It can only make you gain fat if eating it puts you at a caloric surplus. It will only make you lose weight you eat it and maintain a caloric deficit. Low fat foods will not cause weight loss. Full fat foods will not cause weight gain.

Caloric balances determine weight loss or weight gain. Eat the yogurt if it's something you like, OP. Just pay attention to your intakes and you'll be fine.

To answer the title question: Yogurt is neither good nor bad. It is just food with a set number of calories per gram. Find out what those calories are for the yogurt you chose to eat, make it fit into your allowances and enjoy it.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I look at the expiry date to tell

oh, who am I kidding, if I open it and it has little grean puffs of mold, it's bad

otherwise, I eating it

:love:
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I totally love Greek Yogurt Light and Fit.. Sugar is 7, reasonable for 5.3 oz. Sodium 65 mg, calories 80-100.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's amazing.