Best way to hard boil eggs?

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm going to be the master of hard boiled eggs now. Thank you everyone!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I always bring water to a boil first. Then I use a slotted spoon to lower the eggs into the water. Boil 10 minutes, put the pan in the sink and run cold water over it until you can handle them.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I do mine pretty much the same way as the OP BUT: once the water starts to boil hard, leave them on the heat for about a minute. Remove, cover and let sit 15 minutes. I've never had under or overcooked yolks this way. And I've always hated cooking eggs, because I'm not great at it, but this way is fail proof.

I also don't peel mine right away. I store them shells on in the fridge- they seem to last longer and they're easier to peel when cooled. But hard boiled eggs are like meatloaf or chili- everyone has their own special recipe, and theirs is always the best :)
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump. To read later.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Bake them at 325 for 30 minutes. The whites come out less rubbery...a trick I learned from Ina Garten.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Boil water, lower eggs in, boil 12 minutes, remove. No greenish yolk rims and easy to peel.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in a pot with just enough water to have an extra inch of water covering them.

Bring them to a boil. Then remove the eggs from heat and cover them, and let them sit for 12 minutes. (I use a timer)

Then drain the hot water and place the eggs in cold water.

They always turn out perfectly.

this is about what I have heard- I am really inconsistent with how long I tend to leave them so I get very inconsistent results- but I read over and over that this is the way.
    few other tricks
    start with cool/tepid water- don't throw eggs into boiling water- you run the risk of them cracking.
    don't let the water boil out- they WILL explode... ask me how I know.
    Older eggs are better than fresh eggs.

you can also bake them- 15-20 minutes I think at 325- look it up for sure though- but you can definitely bake them- I've done it 2x - great results once- the other time they were a bit rubbery- but I know it works.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    They come out the best when you place them in a muffin tin... I would do four eggs at a time... at 350 for 25 or 30 minutes ... they come out fully done with a soft white and creamy but solid yolk. NO GREEN either from being overcooked.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    They come out the best when you place them in a muffin tin... I would do four eggs at a time... at 350 for 25 or 30 minutes ... they come out fully done with a soft white and creamy but solid yolk. NO GREEN either from being overcooked.

and bake them in the oven with the shell on... lol forgot to add that.
    http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/11/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven.html

please see this link for specific instructions. I NEVER BOIL EGGS IN WATER anymore after trying this
  • nitadances
    nitadances Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Put salt in he water, too. That way if one egg cracks a bit, all the whites will stay inside the shell instead of flowing out and ruining the egg.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I put in pan with cold water. Cover, bring to boil and let sit for only 5 minutes. Shock in ice water. I make 18 at a time and they always come out perfect this way. Slightly less than very hard with a tender white.
  • justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    An extra tip - I always add a little baking soda to my water, about a teaspoon or so. The shells always peel easily this way!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Put salt in he water, too. That way if one egg cracks a bit, all the whites will stay inside the shell instead of flowing out and ruining the egg.
    That's a new one to me.

I just searched because my egg wouldn't peel this morning. My HB eggs have been turning out perfectly on the inside but I've been having the most inconsistent time with peeling them lately. I think I may be getting too fresh of organic eggs and there doesn't seem to be a film between the white and the shell. I've been experimenting with different methods. I'll try the baking soda and see if that works. I'll do the salt another time just for the science project.

Has anyone ever made HB egg shapes? I've made boxes and triangles. Recently at a wedding they had heart shaped HB eggs. You can mold them while they are still hot.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've tried baking them, and can never get them right.

Usually I put them in cool water, bring them to a boil, boil for about 5 minutes, turn off the heat, cover them, and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Drain the water, and submerge the eggs in ice water.

Perfectly cooked, easy to peel.

I've baked twice- once was great- second time was meh.

Your method is the one I use.
    Bring to boil- let it boil for a few minutes- then sit for at least ten- no more than 20- then run in cool water.

works pretty well.

Edit- eggs that are 2 weeks old are better than fresh- I rotate my egg "stock" I get 2 dozen- eat about 1 dozen- and then buy new- the last dozen of the first batch becomes my new hard boiled eggs... when I get half way through the second 2 dozen- I make THAT last dozen my new batch of boiled eggs.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    At Publix the hard boiled eggs are really good. They are already boiled and peeled and the same cost as cage free.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The food lab tackled the peeling question recently. Basically... put the eggs directly from the fridge into already-boiling water (or already-steaming steamer) for best peel-ability.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
  • iampam4399
    iampam4399 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can you let us know which method you try that turns out to be the best one for you?
  • iampam4399
    iampam4399 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In which part of the Publix store are they?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs every single week, and this has never failed me....

Put the eggs in a pan and cover with cold water. Place on high heat (uncovered) until it comes to a boil, let boil for 1 full minute, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 20 minutes. Cool them with cold water and either peel and eat or store in a Tupperware container for up to a week.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    In which part of the Publix store are they?

In the deli