Best way to hard boil eggs?

Options

Replies

• epf82061
    epf82061 Posts: 8
    Options
    I put my eggs in about an inch and a half of cool water and boil them uncovered. I then completely forget about them until all of the water has evaporated and I start smelling the hot pan and/or burnt egg. Fully cooked eggs every time!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The food lab tackled the peeling question recently. Basically... put the eggs directly from the fridge into already-boiling water (or already-steaming steamer) for best peel-ability.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I heard that was a complete no no and would cause cracked eggs.
  • tatanisky
    tatanisky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Place in a pot and cover with water. Salt the water and bring to boil; let boil 1 minute. Remove the pot from the heat, cover and let sit for 12 minutes.

Run egg under cold water to more easily remove shell.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    now i absolutely want a hard boiled egg.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I always seem to fail at these. I'll put them in cool water, let it the pan come to a covered boil, and then let them sit for 10-15 minutes off the heat, still covered. I let them sit for 10 minutes the other day, and all of my yolks were still partially uncooked.

Anyone have a secret trick for making good eggs? Thanks!

I do it somewhat like you. I do cover them in cool water and then let it come to a boil but UNCONVERED. I then let them boil at a full boil for about 5 minutes; turn the heat off; cover and don't move them off the heat, and let them sit for 20 minutes. Works for me.
  • upmommyof5
    upmommyof5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in water with baking soda, a few tablespoons. Heat till boiling, then take off heat and let them finish cooking, about 20 minutes. If I have ice in the house I put them in ice, otherwise just throw them in the fridge. The baking soda helps them peel so much easier.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I steam mine!!

Put (cold) eggs in steamer basket. Put steamer basket over 2-3 inches of water in pan. Cover steamer basket & bring water to a boil. I do 10 minutes for hard boiled eggs but have accidentally let it go 15 minutes and they were still perfect - not over cooked. Drain carefully, then cool in an ice bath until you can handle them.

BONUS: they peel SO easily. A quick tap on each end, then - whoosh - the peel slides right off - EVEN if you forgot about them and didn't peel them for several hours!!

ETA: Keep the water boiling the entire time.

This is BY FAR the best way in my book too. I generally do them 20 - 30 minutes to make sure they're good and hard. It's always easy to peel them that way.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you, but always forget about them. Mine usually sit there, covered, 15-20 minutes and are always fine.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I always bring water to a boil first. Then I use a slotted spoon to lower the eggs into the water. Boil 10 minutes, put the pan in the sink and run cold water over it until you can handle them.

My momma taught me this way years ago and this is how I have boiled my eggs. Always done just right and easy to peel. I don on occasion get a cracked egg ... my husband however puts the eggs in the water waits for it boil - then sets the timer for 5 mins. shuts it off and then lets it stand for about 5 more - then rinses, peels and eats... easy to peel and done perfect every time. go figure Oh and he occasionally has cracked eggs too!!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The food lab tackled the peeling question recently. Basically... put the eggs directly from the fridge into already-boiling water (or already-steaming steamer) for best peel-ability.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I heard that was a complete no no and would cause cracked eggs.

Read the article and check out his methodology.
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mine come out well nearly-almost always. I am also concerned that they be easy to peel, and I cook them once a week and fridge the rest. Start the eggs in cold water and salt, and bring to a full boil. Then, remove the heat, and put the lid on, and let rest for 18 minutes. Lastly, rinse them in cold water, and fridge the unused ones asap.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in cold water. Put them on the stove to boil uncovered, and then usually forget about them for about 20mins while I go about my business on Facebook or MFP, until something jogs my memory and I run in to take them off. Never under cooked. lol
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    fill pan with enough water to cover eggs, cook 12 minutes once the water is boiling. Cool and peel in cold water, works every time!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Get one of these: put it in the pot with the eggs and cool water, bring to a boil, let boil until the timer is shadowed about half way, turn off the heat, let eggs sit in water until timer is completely shadowed. Perfect hard boiled eggs!

egg-timer.jpg
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always seem to fail at these. I'll put them in cool water, let it the pan come to a covered boil, and then let them sit for 10-15 minutes off the heat, still covered. I let them sit for 10 minutes the other day, and all of my yolks were still partially uncooked.

Anyone have a secret trick for making good eggs? Thanks!

Eggs in pot, add enough water to cover eggs by about 1 inch, bring water just to a boil, remove from heat, let sit, covered for 12 minutes, place eggs in a cool water bath - they came out PERFECTLY! :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Put in pot with cold water.

Turn heat on high wait till it boils. ( I usually put a lid so when it jiggles I'll know it's boiling.)

As soon as it begins to boil turn off the heat, put on the lid, and set the timer for 10 minutes.

When the timer goes off rinse the eggs in cold water.

Perfect cooked eggs with bright yellow yolks with no grey ring.
  • Flippolo
    Flippolo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do mine pretty much the same way as the OP BUT: once the water starts to boil hard, leave them on the heat for about a minute. Remove, cover and let sit 15 minutes. I've never had under or overcooked yolks this way. And I've always hated cooking eggs, because I'm not great at it, but this way is fail proof.
    This is the way I do mine, and they never have a green edge. Perfect, every time!

Edit: I also add just a little bit of white vinegar and a healthy pinch of salt--it keeps any cracked eggs from oozing all over the place, and helps it to peel a little easier.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My daughter told me to steam them (15. Min) & they are good & so easy to peel!! I hate when they aren't easy to peel.

definitely going to have to try this. I get in major fights with the eggs and have to stop myself from just completely crushing them in hopes of proving my dominance. :wink:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,910 Member
    Options
    Best ever! And my hubby is super picky about his eggs. I use an old vegetable steamer that fits in a pan.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/01/hard-steamed-eggs.html
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    fill pan with enough water to cover eggs, cook 12 minutes once the water is boiling. Cool and peel in cold water, works every time!

Yes the peel in cold water works too,.

What I usually do is after draining the hot water I swirl them hard in the pot so they break all over then fill the pot with cold water in the sink and peel them under cold running water while the others wait in the pan filled with cold water. It works because the water gets under that little membrane making them WAY easier to peel. If I do this fast enough they can still be warm when I plate them for kiddo as he likes his warm. The cold water makes them easier to handle while still hot. Otherwise for potato salad I can wait until they are completely cooled and they are even easier to peel that way.