If you have PCOS or are on Metformin come in!!

Options

Replies

• tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was insulin resistant and had PCOS when I was heavier, but according to recent blood tests I now only have high DHEA. Taking spironolactone for a few weeks now, and I'm already seeing improvements in my hirtsutism. I really wasn't anticipating getting results until I had been taking it for six months, but while it's barely noticeable I can tell that it's helping already! Doctor is also talking about putting me on metformin to support my weight loss. Have another appointment here in a few weeks. As for the sex drive business... Mine has always been excessive! I am still pretty interested in having sex often, but I feel like I'm not losing my mind over it anymore! Good luck ladies!!!! :wink:
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am IR and on metformin on/off for 7 years... tried it, tried without it, tried dianette birth control, tried cerazette birth control, tried progesterone cream

Metformin doesn't change my horniness at all. Im horny all the time. but i got sick it has major effects on my insulin level/blood sugar and cause hypoglycemia for me, i can go shaky and sweaty so total nightmare.

also, metformin even the lowest dosage the quarter of a 850mg can mess with my period i am very sensitive to it. the other day i forgot to take it after lunch and by the morning i got period ughhh

i have hirsutism as well metformin doesn't do anything for that.
    I have noticed when i eat reduced carbs for the day (<150g) my excessive horny feeling is gone and my skin is not oily so its all good.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I have a few questions for the woman who've started taking the metformin already, how long until your periods/ovulation got back on track?

When i started taking it years back, i took 2x 850mg and i got period within days but ovulation only after about 6 months (ultrasound was done then) because first the cysts needed to disappear then got ovulation and stronger period and heavy bleeding. with lower dosage i have no ov and lighter bleeding
  • GreenDayEverton
    Options
    I was really lucky, my cycles returned straight away. I'm on 3x 500mg a day. I don't know about ovulation, I start Clomid next cycle. From what I understand from the clinic nurses, everyone responds differently.
  • WynterMoonlight
    Options
    I've been on metformin(1,000 mg 2x a day) since the beginning of this year in addition to Spironolactone(100mg 2x a day) and have lost 58 LBS according to my scale and have lost so many inches thanks to heavy lifting. I've had PCOS since I was 12 years old and am now 30 years old,I love this medication,I never had the nausea,vomiting,diarrhea but I have had a suppressed appetite since i've been on it,nor do I have any other wonky issues like others may have had,i've been rather lucky. I am a vegetarian so i'm not doing low carb as I consume mostly fruits,vegetables,whole grains,beans,100% pure peanut butter and things of that nature.I did low carb for a long time in the past and it's not something you can do for the rest of your life especially if you do intense exercise or weight lifting,your body needs carbs to function,especially your brain,in the end of doing low carb I was sluggish,exhausted,depressed and just not happy so I do not restrict my carbs and have been improving my body composition through heavy weight lifting,i'm trying to get into power lifting and I do HIIT 20-30 mins before every weight lifting session. I thought i'd include as much information as I can. All this is from my personal experience and may not work for everyone,so keep that in mind.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
  • Skwishums
    Skwishums Posts: 24
    Options
    I just started metformin today. For the first week I'm supposed to take 1/2 a pill with breakfast to see how I do with it since I have a sensitive stomach. So far I've been very dehydrated! I'm 25 and trying to get pregnant but after a few months of trying with no results I started to look around to see what the problem might be and all my symptoms pointed to PCOS. Today I got some blood work done and I think it'll confirm it. But I won't know for another 2 weeks. I really hope the metformin helps...it would be nice to have a regular cycle for once.
  • MrsLett
    MrsLett Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi..
    I started Metformin about 2 weeks ago- i started with 1 tab, then 2 and now I am up to 3 tabs and next week I starte 1 1/2 tab 3 times a day! So far its been ok- the worst has been the nausea! It comes and goes but when it comes boy it comes! I am going to start the link and balance diet next week in hopes to lose 30 pounds before October,which is when we do our first round of IVF! I was just diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistances its been tough but I am working through it! I just want to be pregnant and be healthy!
  • Ephesian432
    Ephesian432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a long time in the past and it's not something you can do for the rest of your life especially if you do intense exercise or weight lifting,your body needs carbs to function,especially your brain

I have been on Metformin since the end of March of this year. I went from 500mg 2x/day to 1,000 extended release 1x/day. I was about 140 lbs when I started taking it. When I was eating really low carb, I felt a lot better. I try to watch my carbs regardless, but I find that I am healthiest and have more energy when I am keeping my carb intake at 50 -60g. At first I chose Hemp protein and another organic, plant-based vegan protein shake for my protein source, because I'm not a big fan of meat. But I gradually added chicken and fish, and sometimes grass-fed beef, to give me more variety.

I think of it as more of a low carb lifestyle, or WOE (way of eating) rather than a diet. You have to give your body enough time to get used to it, but I guess it just may not be a feasible lifestyle for everyone! I needed at least a week to adjust though, just FYI, but I've heard of others taking several weeks or even months to adjust. During that first week I was tired, sluggish, and sad. It was tough the first few days.

But it really is possible to do intense exercise while eating low carb. I have done HIIT (including sprints outside & at up to 10.5 mph on treadmill, just to give you an idea) while on 20g of carbs a day. It's good that you're doing HIIT, it's awesome for blood sugar control and increasing insulin sensitivity.

Check out this blog entry on this website>>>>>>> http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

The whole website has awesome information about metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, low carb lifestyle, etc. The doctor who runs the website says he used to be overweight, even though he was a marathon biker and exercised like crazy, because he was insulin resistant. He developed a low carb way of eating, he lost weight, and his athletic performance has improved.

It's just so interesting how many diseases can be avoided by adapting to a low carb way of eating. I've learned so much from this doctor's blog. You can even lower your bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase your healthy cholesterol (HDL.) You should definitely check out this website!

For the past several months, I was not taking good care of myself and eating in an unhealthy way, and I also developed "runners knee" so I WAY decreased my exercise for 2 months. I've gained some weight since then. :/ But my knees are better so I can run again, thank God! I'm trying to get back down to my normal weight of 134-137 lbs (I am 5'7.) I don't want to be on this medication forever. I want to keep exercising and watching my sugar and carb intake so that I can wean myself off of it. I'd rather do that for the rest of my life than be on medication. I don't like it. :-(

As for sex drive, Metformin has not affected that for me. Or at least if it has, I haven't noticed and my hubby hasn't complained! I don't want him looking elsewhere! lol.
  • omgxtatival
    Options
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago.. had a cyst removed then.. need to get checked again.. metformin just makes me sick but im trying it again for 4th time.. im on the birth control implant which I love.. sex life is not affected at all.
  • lynsie86
    lynsie86 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was put on Metformin last week for possible PCOS. I was prescribed 500mg 3x per day. It makes me very nauseous, by the 4th day I couldn't function and was throwing up so I stopped taking it. I didn't have any stool issues, just nausea. Actually I had the opposite as most, I didn't have a bowel movement for 3 days. I plan to call my Dr. today to see if I can try the ER version.

Has anyone had symptoms similar to mine? Is it normal? I have a 3yr old son so there is no way that i will be able to continue taking it if it makes me that sick again. It was worse than morning sickness when I was pregnant.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was put on Metformin last week for possible PCOS. I was prescribed 500mg 3x per day. It makes me very nauseous, by the 4th day I couldn't function and was throwing up so I stopped taking it. I didn't have any stool issues, just nausea. Actually I had the opposite as most, I didn't have a bowel movement for 3 days. I plan to call my Dr. today to see if I can try the ER version.

Has anyone had symptoms similar to mine? Is it normal? I have a 3yr old son so there is no way that i will be able to continue taking it if it makes me that sick again. It was worse than morning sickness when I was pregnant.

Yep, those symptoms are normal, particularly if you don't ramp up the dose. The GI issues can be either way, or even both. Usually, they're transient, until your body gets used to the medication.

It's generally recommended to start with 500mg a day, usually in the evenings, for a week or two, then add 500mg in the morning for a week or two, and so on until you reach the full dosage. This supposedly helps with the side effects, and it sounds like you'd benefit from doing it this way (it varies -- ie, for me, it was just better to go up to my dose, both for compliance and to just get the side effects done and over with, because they were the same no matter if I was taking 2x500mg or 4x500mg).
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I did low carb for a long time in the past and it's not something you can do for the rest of your life especially if you do intense exercise or weight lifting,your body needs carbs to function,especially your brain,in the end of doing low carb I was sluggish,exhausted,depressed and just not happy so I do not restrict my carbs and have been improving my body composition through heavy weight lifting,i'm trying to get into power lifting and I do HIIT 20-30 mins before every weight lifting session

As a powerlifter and boxer, I have to disagree on both fronts of this, as would Vince Gironda and his old-school bodybuilder trainees, and probably a few thousand CrossFitters.

First, low carb is very much sustainable, but you have to make sure to do it right -- don't increase your protein to replace the carbs, increase your fat. The biggest mistake I see people making is replacing carbs with protein. Doing that deprives your body of fuel (protein is for building and repairing, and makes for a very expensive fuel), as well as essential nutrients from non-lean-protein food sources.

Second, you can very much do high intensity workouts on a low carb way of eating. Again, you have to make sure you get enough fats, since fat becomes your primary fuel source.

It does take time to "recalibrate" your body to use fat primarily, and during that recalibration time, your performance will very likely decrease. This is due to the fact that when you first start, your body is still used to burning carbs primarily, and is inefficient at burning fat during exercise. But just like your body will gradually be able to lift more weight, your system will gradually get more efficient with the glycogen stores it does keep and at burning fat.

Here's a really cool breakdown of the athletic performance changes experienced by a keto-er -- http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance (his site also has a ton of information about the state of ketosis in general, as well as the mechanics of it and how it affects athletic performance).

Then, there's also the fact that it's not really an either-or kind of thing. There's also cyclical low-carb diets, where you do very low carb some days, and "carb up" on others (usually workout days).

Third, it is true that the brain needs carbs to function, but gluconeogenesis can handle the bulk of the brain's needs, and in fact, the brain actually works best on a combination fuel of ketones and glucose, because ketones are a more stable source of fuel and less damaging to the nervous system (the ketogenic diet was originally created for epileptics, to control seizures, and has since been proven effective in improving a number of other neurological issues). Again, though, you need to make sure to get sufficient fat.
  • shaunam_32
    shaunam_32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I got really serious about the weight loss about a year ago. I decided to take martial arts (not sure WHY I chose that) but it did help with some weight loss. I was doing series of boxing/kick boxing boot camps about 4-5 days a week. I did lose about 25 pounds but ended up gaining about 5 pounds back, since I've stopped and found out that my body just isn't helping me lose more weight. I spoke to my doctor, and he prescribed me Metformin. I just started taking 500mg that I need to take for a week, and then double my dose (1000mg) a day after the second week, and then work my way up to 1500mg a day. I'm hoping that this will help me lose more weight, since I'm at complete stop. I've read on all types of blogs that women can lose a variety of weight on this drug. I'm curious how/or if this med works! :happy:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I got really serious about the weight loss about a year ago. I decided to take martial arts (not sure WHY I chose that) but it did help with some weight loss. I was doing series of boxing/kick boxing boot camps about 4-5 days a week. I did lose about 25 pounds but ended up gaining about 5 pounds back, since I've stopped and found out that my body just isn't helping me lose more weight. I spoke to my doctor, and he prescribed me Metformin. I just started taking 500mg that I need to take for a week, and then double my dose (1000mg) a day after the second week, and then work my way up to 1500mg a day. I'm hoping that this will help me lose more weight, since I'm at complete stop. I've read on all types of blogs that women can lose a variety of weight on this drug. I'm curious how/or if this med works! :happy:

You might be interested in the blog post I wrote on the basics of how Metformin works:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Dragonwolf/view/pcos-insulin-and-metformin-614886

In short, Metformin is not a weight-loss medication. All it does is increase the insulin sensitivity of the liver, decreasing your fasting insulin. You may lose weight, if your insulin is too high and that's what's stopping you from losing weight. If it's not, then the Metformin will do nothing for your weight.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm IR and on metformin but my sex-drive was always fine unless I was very overweight. My periods were always a little erratic and still are and we use condoms because no form of hormonal birth control works w/ my body it seems. Eating a high-protein, low sugar and low carb diet has helped my body stabilize really nicely, best of luck to you sister!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm on 500mg twice a day. I'm not diagnosed PCOS because I couldn't get a Dr to look into it seriously. One just measured my belly and hips and said PCOS is hard to diagnose and usually from higher waist to hip ratio. Which mine are balanced. But I've had irregular cycles since they started at 13 and many other symptoms but no known ovarian cysts of course I've only had them checked ONCE when I was miscarrying many years ago.

No issues/changes in sex drive that I've noticed. I do however have a lot of intestinal cramping that is very annoying. Plus diarrhea like bms but its not quite the same as actual diarrhea. More of the urge and cramping and loose greasy bms. It doesn't really cause much trouble in general. But sometimes I hate it when I'm out and about and have to go. I've been losing since she increased my dose in March though. I was only on a few months before that at just 500mg at night. Gonna give it time and hope that as I lose the A1C reduces back to normal range and then I'll go off them as long as I keep losing. If it stops then I may stay on a bit longer. I suspect another 30 lbs or so and I'd be dropping that A1C to normal. Especially with more exercise and walking added.

I've not noticed a problem with my sex drive.

I took it for a little over 3 years (for diabetes), switched to insulin because we're trying to get pregnant, now I'm taking both to get my A1C under a certain number and to help with ovulation. I've had more times of throwing up and general stomach discomfort than I did the first time.

Consider going on the pill for cycle and then coming off and track temps. I conceived my daughter first cycle off pills despite having very irregular cycles before the the pill(in which it took me 11 months of no bcps and trying to get pregnant, I miscarried at 6 weeks though only a sac was formed). We back on to lose weight.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am on metformin due to type 2 diabetes, so I can't answer to the PCOS part, but as for the side effects, yes I have suffered from diarrhea. My doctor at the time insisted on increasing the amount of metformin dramatically after only a week or so because my blood glucose was not coming down fast enough for her. What I found out later from a pharmacist was that you should start low and go slow, especially if you get the runs from it. I had the runs for literally months, and yes had to be very careful about where I went out - if I didn't know there was a bathroom nearby, I wouldn't go. The pharmacist said you should start on a half or maybe one 500 mg for several weeks before increasing each time. And turns out what my doctor thought was so high wasn't actually that bad for a diabetic, so she caused me needless trouble for a long long time. When I got a new doctor due to that one leaving practice, she told me about the timed release one, as I would still have trouble frequently (once or twice a month). They do help but are a bit more expensive. Also when I was hospitalized for an unrelated matter, the pharmacist at the hospital asked why I was taking it one pill three times a day as the whole point of timed release was that you could take them all at once...! Yay!! no more forgetting to take a stupid pill when I went out to eat - now I take them all in the morning and am done with it. I rarely have the runs now and I think it happens when I overload on carbs. Since losing over 120 lbs (I know, my ticker only says 73, that's since on mfp) my A1C is around 5.8 and I am still lobbying my doctor to reduce the metformin so here's hoping for the next lab test results!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'm on 500mg twice a day. I'm not diagnosed PCOS because I couldn't get a Dr to look into it seriously. One just measured my belly and hips and said PCOS is hard to diagnose and usually from higher waist to hip ratio. Which mine are balanced. But I've had irregular cycles since they started at 13 and many other symptoms but no known ovarian cysts of course I've only had them checked ONCE when I was miscarrying many years ago.

Please, please, fire your doctor and keep searching for one that will take you seriously. Doctors are human, and therefore shouldn't be held on pedestals. They need to be held accountable for what they do, and held to high standards. Staying with one that says crap like the ones that said that to you doesn't help anyone and may even hurt someone in the long run.

No, PCOS isn't as easy to diagnose as, say, Strep, but it's not about waist to hip ratio. And of course it's going to be hard to diagnose if they don't run the right tests for it! Yeah, it's kind of a judgement call (it is a syndrome, after all, which is simply a constellation of symptoms), but it's not that hard to run the tests necessary to confirm whether there's something going on with your hormones.

Fasting insulin (yes, insulin), DHEAS, progesterone, estrogen. These are the tests needed to help determine whether you have PCOS. If your doctor won't run them, can their *kitten* and find someone who will. If nothing else, you'll find someone who actually cares about your health and you as a person, because the ones you have clearly don't.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Can't say I ever had a problem with sex drive, with or without Met. BCP murdered my sex drive though, so I stopped taking it (and Met b/c my stomach hated it). Weight loss does so much more to "treat" my PCOS than BCP ever did, and bonus, it's improved my sex drive tons. Not sure if it has as much to do with hormones as not hating my body, but I'll take both. Good luck with getting everything squared away.