What did you eat?

Options
Hi, so I'm just curious as to what you guys have been eating to help you lose weight? I've been sticking to fruit smoothies and brown rice for the past week and don't really see much of a difference....
So what has helped you guys?

Replies

• LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I'm just curious as to what you guys have been eating to help you lose weight? I've been sticking to fruit smoothies and brown rice for the past week and don't really see much of a difference....

eating actual food
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I eat all the foods! You can look at my diary. What I eat now is what I ate to lose what I have to this point.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Food. A little of everything. Salads, fruit, chicken are frequent items. But also sometimes candy, processed stuff like frozen taquitos, wraps made w/ lunch meat & cheese.

Sometimes Subway, Dominos or eating out at Long Horn, other restaurants.

What you eat is not the be-all, end-all. Its how much total. What does factor into that, as eating a bag of sugar would leave me feeling crappy - but I use the all in moderation approach.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I ate ice cream last night and this morning I was down 0.5 lbs. I can only infer based on this data that ice cream leads to weight loss, and not that whole calorie deficit thing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Food just less of it. Brown Rice and smoothies sounds grim
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, sharp cheddar, lots of veggies (roasted Brussels Sprouts, asparagus, broccoli), salads, chocolate dipped bananas with all natural peanut butter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Food. I swapped out 100%whole wheat bread for white, and brown rice for white, and sweet potatoes for russets. I started eating vegetables on a regular basis. I started eating more fish. I cut way back on refined carbohydrate junk food. I started watching added sugar. And then I ate food. Smoothies and rice can be part of your regular diet, just not the bulk of it. You're missing out on so many nutrients.

Just try to eat a balanced diet with reasonable portions. And move more.

And yes: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I ate 5 See's truffles last night, and still woke up this morning to see a new low weight! 6.5 lb lost now. I just eat less (smaller portions) and have added Shirataki noodles, alot more vegetables, and more fruit into my diet. I eat less bread now, but I still eat it.
    Oh and I've been eating homemade cheesecake too :):) You can lose weight eating whatever you want, as long as it fits your calorie and macro goals. Though I must admit I usually go over on carbs and under on protein.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods but less of it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Basically the same things I always ate, just less of them.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Eat a good and healthy diet while practicing portion control. That's all there is to it. You may ask, what does a person whose lost so little weight know about it? Well, I've been at this for years. When I practice portion control and use TDEE-20% as a rule for daily calories, I consistently lose weight. Do I give up butter? No. What I don't do is sit in front of the TV with a loaf of homemade bread and a stick of butter and eat most of it. I do do that when I am gaining weight. When I am losing, my evening snacks are calculated to fit within my daily TDEE-20%.

So, am I "on a diet" right now? No, I'm eating better -- which includes a wide variety of food and portion control.

More technically, a diet if fruit smoothies and brown rice is self-sabotage for weight loss. It is fructose and starch heavy and lacking in proteins and fats necessary for health. The sugar spikes you will experience from such a diet are likely to make you feel hungry and unwell.

Go to http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/, look at the "Healthy Eating Plate," and learn more about healthy eating so you can enjoy your food and lose weight at the same time.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If I had to eat just brown rice and smoothies I would stay fat.

Instead I ate everything I always did before... chicken, steak, fish, veggies, fruit, lots and lots of ice cream, cookies, cakes.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

eating actual food

^This
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Stuff I normally eat, just less (verified by weighing all my foods). Oh, I did opt to try the "35 calorie slice" bread for my occasional sandwiches, and fat-free Greek yogurt for some "healthier" substitutes to white bread and mayo and high cal dressings. Other than that, same types of foods and keep it at my moderate calorie deficit.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I don't go crazy on pizza, I usually eat a peanut butter sandwich, a banana, and eggs for breakfast (140 calories worth of eggs).

Lunch and dinner are pretty much the same meals:

spaghetti with ground turkey red sauce,

black bean chili over brown rice

salmon with broccoli and sweet potato

Tuna sandwich

grilled or baked chicken breast with salad and sweet potato

Snacks:

protein bars (quest and detour my fav)
    Jazz apples

It's really about figuring out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight then removing 500 calories a day (for 1 lb of weekly weight loss)

I also eat smoothies of various concoctions.
  • LosingItInDenver
    Options
    Cardboard, styrofoam packing peanuts, and sunlight. I can barely walk, and my vision is starting to fade away, but I lost 6 lbs. :-)

Your ticker says you lost 26 lbs already. What did you eat to lose that?
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I did before, just less of it. I also incorporated more fruits, veggies, and lean meat into my diet.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My diary is open.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want.

slide_324525_3096946_free.gif
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The truth is you can eat anything and as long as you burn 3500 calories, you're going to lose 1 lb. of fat. It's much healthier to eat balanced meals though. MFP does a good job of setting your macros at appropriate amounts to ensure that your calories are being filled up with healthy foods.

Many typical meals/snacks of mine often include:

Dannon - Light N Fit yogurt (strawberry cheesecake is my fav!)
    South Beach Diet - Good to Go bars (dark chocolate is my fav since it only has 6 g of sugar)
    Salads (I usually put fish, olives, and grape tomatoes on my salads. The only dressing I ever use is Delallo 100% lemon juice. Some dressings (often store bought) can really make a salad unhealthy.)