What protien/energy bar do you recommend?

Options
Hi.

I usually have a mid day energy bar, I'm currently eating Quest bars, my favorite is mixed berries. I love them because of the fact they are low in carbs and sugar and high on protein, which I never have enough in my meals. They are also very tasty and satisfy my hunger mid day.

Anyone is trying other bars that would reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

Feras

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Personally I really like most protein bars and wouldn't say I've had an overly bad one - but I'm not very fussy!

From the reading that I've done Quest are meant to be the tastiest and it's so unfair because I can't find them in the UK :sad:
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I personally would stick with making my own. The Quest bars, and others, may be low in sugar, but they do contain sugar alcohols which aren't great for our bodies. Making your own you can control the ingredients you put in them and it's sooooo much cheaper. Make a few batches of different flavors and freeze some from each batch.
  • AllieGeorge23
    Options
    ATM I'm eating "Get Buzzing" bars. They taste delicious & are relatively cheap when bought in bulk.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I really like the cliff snack size bars mint chocolate. 10 g of protein low in carbs and sugar and 130 calories.... Keep them in my purse for those days Im out and about and hunger striks.. Also eat them after a workout
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein. Chewy Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Peanut Butter are my favorites and you can find them at Walmart, Amazon or most grocery stores. I am NOT a quest bar fan, it's a texture thing.

Pure Protein Chewy Chocolate Chip (because I have one on my desk) 20g Protein, 3g Sugar 5g Fat, 200 calories of tasty goodness :)
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Chocolate Fudge are better than any Quest bar I've had, IMO.

240 calories

20 g protein

0 g sugar

They taste amazing and have all natural ingredients. They are sweetened with sugar alcohol and that's the sketchiest thing in them.
  • Ajwilhorn
    Ajwilhorn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest bars as well and they are gluten free for those with gluten allergies. I recently have been using LifeChoice bars. 21g of protein and 7-8g of sugar. They come in a box of 5 I think and only around $6 if I remember. I found them in the cereal aisle at Walmart.
  • gmilroy60
    gmilroy60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein bar is Cliff Builder Bars. They have 30 g of protein and 270 calories but I have one in the a.m. and it keeps me filled up to about 1pm. They are like a treat in the a.m. with my iced coffee. i particularly like the peanut butter chocolate ones. They go on sale at Target periodically, otherwise they are about the same price anywhere you go.
  • gmilroy60
    gmilroy60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe you would like to share?
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    While I like the taste of most protein bars, to me, they aren't worth the bang to the buck. That is, they seem to run over 200 calories for less or about 20 g of protein. While most protein shakes are 150-170 calories and 30 or more grams of protein.

So...I skip protein bars most of the time and instead have a shake.

Just my two cents.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    not a fan of Quest Bars. tried a few and didnt like them. personally i like the MetRX 100 bars. so good!!!
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are hands down the best I've found nutritionally and for taste.
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing. I do agree the home made ones will beat anything in the market. However, I find Quest bars really satisfy my hunger, one moment I'm hungry, then BAM Quest bar and I'm full for a couple of hours. I don't feel guilty having them.

I do agree the texture can be better.

As for shakes, not my thing :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I recently have been using LifeChoice bars. 21g of protein and 7-8g of sugar. They come in a box of 5 I think and only around $6 if I remember. I found them in the cereal aisle at Walmart.

I really dislike the Chocolate Mint LifeChoice bars, but the rest seem pretty cook. If I'm low on protein for the day I have one bar with a cup of goat milk as my bedtime snack. They are a little less expensive where I am, but yes, I found them at Walmart, too.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    While I like the taste of most protein bars, to me, they aren't worth the bang to the buck. That is, they seem to run over 200 calories for less or about 20 g of protein. While most protein shakes are 150-170 calories and 30 or more grams of protein.

So...I skip protein bars most of the time and instead have a shake.

Just my two cents.

Same.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I just tried a Quest Coconut Cashew bar and now I'm in love. I zap mine for a few seconds in the microwave, although I'm fine with the texture. I like them for work because normally I only get a 15 minute break and it keeps me going through a 6 hour shift.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have a Giant near you (grocery store) but their store brand of peanut butter protein bar is fantastic.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing. I do agree the home made ones will beat anything in the market. However, I find Quest bars really satisfy my hunger, one moment I'm hungry, then BAM Quest bar and I'm full for a couple of hours. I don't feel guilty having them.

I do agree the texture can be better.

As for shakes, not my thing :)

Microwave them for 15 seconds - BAM, better texture. I can't eat them without microwaving them, but heated up they're really good.
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No ingredient side effect when heated?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No ingredient side effect when heated?

Such as? Protein is still protein, whether it's heated or not.