C25K - should I work through the pain?

Options
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere but I can't see a search feature (there must be one, but I can't see for looking).

I started walking the day I joined My Fitness Pal and have been regularly walking between 4 and 6 miles three or four times a week since, alternating with 'free step' on the Wii Fit if I haven't been able to walk for any reason.

Yesterday I downloaded the Couch to 5K App and did my first session. I walked to the park where I did the walking/running (about 1.8 miles away from where I live) and managed to do the 30 minutes and felt fine.

Today I have a sore backside! I think the muscle is called something like Gluteal Maximus? It's very painful when I walk (I'm walking like an old lady!). I felt really positive yesterday too!

My question is... tomorrow I'm meant to do Week 1, Session 2 - should I attempt it and try to work through the pain? Is the adage 'no pain, no gain' true, or should I listen to my body and give it time to recover? If I do that, will it happen again, I wonder?

I would appreciate some advice. :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would continue on schedule but slow down.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This is just delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and nothing to worry about. Stretch better after your workout to help with the soreness but after a few workouts, you won't experience this again unless you quit for a couple weeks and come back. This is completely normal.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you just have sore muscles and if it lessens after some light exercise and walking I would keep going. If it is a more sharp intense pain (like a pulled muscle) I would not.

I always find it best to stretch thoroughly after a run. It helps with my muscle soreness and tightness.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think I read something on the boards about working through discomfort, which is different than pain. The first challenges us, and in my opinion the second can damage us.

I've done the C25K program twice. In the beginning, I had pretty bad shin splints. I gave it a few days rest, and pretty quickly my body adapted (I also paid close attention to my form). I say give it a day or two. It won't set you back any and you don't run the risk of pulling something so badly you're down for a week or more.

Make sure to stretch after you run--it really helps minimize some injuries.

Good luck!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Try it and see, but I don't believe you should put yourself through a lot of pain and prefer not to feel any if I can get away with it
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch good after your workout and a foam roller would really help. It hurts when you use it but it really, really, really helps!!!
  • Bagpuss_Janet
    Bagpuss_Janet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It's pretty painful tonight but hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. I will jog slowly and drive to the park.

I didn't do any stretches but I will make sure I do in future. :)

Thanks again.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any stretches but I will make sure I do in future. :)

rookie mistake

Take your time on the run, stretch out afterwards.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I was really sore in my calves and shins at first, but it got better. If you don't have a foam roller, you should look into getting one. I think it was (IS) my saving grace after workouts. Stretching enough after is also really important.

I was never a runner and hated running but I made it through and even though I am doing a different program now, I still throw some C25K a couple times a week in for my cardio.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Considering it set in well after the exercise, you're probably just experiencing the wonderful discomfort brought on by lactic acid. Keep moving and doing the program and you will see it diminish over the next few days. By the time you are through week 2 it should be mostly if not entirely a thing of the past until you have an extended period of inactivity.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If it's a "I worked some muscles harder than they're used to, and now they hurt" kind of pain, then run. If it's a "I tore/pulled/dislocated or other otherwise injured something" then don't run.

When I first started c25k I was all kinds of sore, and hobbling around like an old lady, but I knew it wasn't injury so I kept at it. When I overdid it and tweaked my knee, I knew that was a different kind of pain that could lead to a much worse injury and I took it easy. I re-did a couple of earlier weeks and built back up to where I was. Since you're on the first week, if it feels like an injury maybe walk for a couple of days and re-evaluate.

It sounds like you didn't stretch and are paying for it now though. Stretching makes a big difference.
  • Bagpuss_Janet
    Bagpuss_Janet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the replies and useful advice. :)

I have Googled 'stretches for runners' and will make sure to do some of those before I try again and will also look at foam rollers.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been in PT twice for various back/leg issues over a few years, I would recommend:

--Dynamic warmup before running. Walking knees to chest, monster walk, quick 2-5 second gentle stretches (glutes, hamstring, calves, quads, hip flexors).

--Static stretching (20-45 secs) after the run, for hamstrings, calves, quads, glutes, hip flexors, IT band. If it's your glutes that are bothering you, the seated 4-pose should help.
    --Make sure you have good running shoes that fit your foot profile. A good running store will examine your gait and recommend a pair based on whether you pronate or supinate.
    --Overlooked--the core. Strength exercises such as the bird dog, lower ab work, bridges, and clams 2-3 times a week. This will prevent injury, stabilize your core, and make sure your abs, back, hips have the necessary strength.
    --Leg strength such as squats (performed properly) and lunges 1x-2x a week.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I got quite far through the C25k last year.....gave it up, can't now think why, miss it! ....Any how(!) ...I developed hip pain and some in my foot! I got lots of advice about the pros and cons of dynamic stretches before, and static stretches post, session.
    The long and short of it was that doing stretches before and after really worked for me! Just googled some to found out what to do!