That has how many calories???

Options

Replies

• ViDexSha
    ViDexSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Two days ago my hubby picked up a 6 to 8 inch Strawberry Pie....I know pie is bad for you. I had a slice, which I thought would run me around 400-500 calories.....WRONG!!! It was 780! I could have had ice cream for half the calories!! Will not make that mistake again!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My favorite has to be the time I bought a cookie from Whole Foods, not a giant cookie, just a normal cookie. Looked at the nutrition facts, saw 200 calories, thought 200 calories isn't bad. Took it home and enjoyed the hell out of that cookie. Looked at the nutrition facts again and learned that it was 200 calories per serving...for 4 FREAKING SERVINGS!!!
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good calorie discoveries -
    2 1/2 cups of Angie's Popcorn Boomchickapop White Cheddar Popcorn (really good, just had it last night)
    34 sticks of Hi I'm Skinny Sticks, Sweet Onion Multigrain is 120 calories (these taste like Funyuns sp?)
    2 tbsp of Truwhip Whipped topping is only 30 calories (the full-fat version)

Those are off the top of my head, but about the bad calories I found that out w/my Chick-fil-a Avocado Lime Ranch dressing, it has over 300 calories per packet!
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I decided to splurge and have bread pudding for dessert at Famous Dave's. It really was huge and delicious. Got home to log it and found it to be 1400 calories!! Glad I enjoyed it because I won't have it again.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My favorite has to be the time I bought a cookie from Whole Foods, not a giant cookie, just a normal cookie. Looked at the nutrition facts, saw 200 calories, thought 200 calories isn't bad. Took it home and enjoyed the hell out of that cookie. Looked at the nutrition facts again and learned that it was 200 calories per serving...for 4 FREAKING SERVINGS!!!

Don't you hate that!
    I too saw a muffin that said 2 servings. It's ONE freakin muffin! What a bunch of lying scumbags.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was at Lone Star (US Chain steakhouse) and my meal came a salad or lettuce wedge. I went with the lettuce wedge, but substituted balsamic for the blue cheese.

Turns out that even without any dressing the wedge of lettuce weighed in at about 400 calories!!

Really? What was on it besides lettuce??
    Seriously, you'd have to eat 2.8 kilos of lettuce to get to 400 cals. That's a bit much...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd share my horror at discovering how many calories were in my lunch!

Went out for lunch with my colleagues and ordered this:

Chicken Katsu Curry with rice, from Wasabi (UK).. Came in at over 1,100 calories :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a tiny box of rice and chicken?! Soup for dinner for me.. :cry:

Has anyone else had a moment like this recently? Shock calorie discoveries?
    Learnt my lesson to look up calories BEFORE I go out to eat.

I just looked at their nutritional information and is says the Chicken Katsu Curry is 171 Kcal and rice is 163 Kcal so I'm not sure how you're coming up with 1100 calories. I think you're misreading the nutritional information and confusing Kcal with KJ. (i.e. 171 Kcal = 714.5 KJ.

You didn't eat 1100 Kcal with this meal.

https://www.wasabi.uk.com/sites/default/files/wasabi_nuturition_info_2013_v4.pdf
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Don't go to Logan's Roadhouse. I emailed them for nutritional information. They responded back saying they didnt have nutritional information to give me! Horrible service.

When I go to Logan's I order a 6 oz sirloin, broccoli and veggies off the "light" menu, can't recall the exact amount but it's under 500 calories. If you order broccoli/veggies off the regular menu they cook them in butter, but if you order them off the light menu they steam them and add nothing (I also specify steam only).

Went to TX Roadhouse the other night with a friend, I had their menu printed with all the calories written on it. My friend said "well I need to lose weight I'm going to have a salad, I'm sure you are too" heck no I had 8 oz sirloin, mashed potatoes and steamed veggies for under 700 calories. Except for their house salad, all their salads are over 750 calories and some are 1000. Even if I was off some calories I was within my total for the day.

I always try to check in advance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Two days ago my hubby picked up a 6 to 8 inch Strawberry Pie....I know pie is bad for you. I had a slice, which I thought would run me around 400-500 calories.....WRONG!!! It was 780! I could have had ice cream for half the calories!! Will not make that mistake again!

sometimes it's worth it- even if you could have had "more" of something else. LOL
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Shopping in Costco, starving, thought I would get a beef hot dog from their cafeteria. Standing in line I looked up the calories before I ordered. It was around 500 calories! I was so shocked, I didn't order it.
  • katiew78
    katiew78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd share my horror at discovering how many calories were in my lunch!

Went out for lunch with my colleagues and ordered this:

Chicken Katsu Curry with rice, from Wasabi (UK).. Came in at over 1,100 calories :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a tiny box of rice and chicken?! Soup for dinner for me.. :cry:

Has anyone else had a moment like this recently? Shock calorie discoveries?
    Learnt my lesson to look up calories BEFORE I go out to eat.

I just looked at their nutritional information and is says the Chicken Katsu Curry is 171 Kcal and rice is 163 Kcal so I'm not sure how you're coming up with 1100 calories. I think you're misreading the nutritional information and confusing Kcal with KJ. (i.e. 171 Kcal = 714.5 KJ.

You didn't eat 1100 Kcal with this meal.

https://www.wasabi.uk.com/sites/default/files/wasabi_nuturition_info_2013_v4.pdf

The nutritional info is per 100g and katsu curry portion size is 350g or something. It is ridiculously high in calories, but oh so tasty!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to a restaurant that I know is a Chain restaurant, I try to do my homework first. I look up the website and see if they have nutritional information. That way I can plan my meal in advance and try to reduce as many calories as possible. Isn't always applicable but I say try if you can!

That's actually part of how I came to be on MFP. I was at a restaurant with my folks and my dad suddenly pulled out his cell phone. I started off by making a joke about how the office wouldn't give him a break even on his day off. But then he showed me that he was looking up the menu items in the MFP and let me see the app on his phone. At the time, my method was to use a pocket-sized notebook, which was fine if i was using home recipes or foods with nutrition labels on it, but left me having to guess a lot when it came to restaurant food, and I wouldn't know how many calories I'd eaten until they were already in my stomach. I don't have a smart phone, yet, but it's still nice to be able to look things up ahead of time and decide how I want to approach the situation before I place my order.
  • nicole_nikki91
    nicole_nikki91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We don't eat out often, usually about twice a month, last night we had Papa Johns pizza for dinner. I knew it would be a lot of calories but I was very surprised at the amount of calories for one piece of pizza and a serving of breadsticks (2). It came out to be 690 calories, that seemed like a lot of calories to me, especially considering the fact that within a few hours I felt like I was starving. I will definitely have to look up calories before I decide to eat out again.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Triple sec. 1.5 ounces has 188 calories. I was making margaritas, and they came out to 700 calories each! I used sweetened lime juice instead of margarita mix, thinking it wouldn't be as many calories. Well, I never checked the margarita mix for calories, so I don't know if it would have been more, but the sweetened lime juice was 10 calories per teaspoon. and I needed 300 calories worth of the lime juice to make the margaritas.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Triple sec. 1.5 ounces has 188 calories. I was making margaritas, and they came out to 700 calories each! I used sweetened lime juice instead of margarita mix, thinking it wouldn't be as many calories. Well, I never checked the margarita mix for calories, so I don't know if it would have been more, but the sweetened lime juice was 10 calories per teaspoon. and I needed 300 calories worth of the lime juice to make the margaritas.

ordered a skinny margarita from chili's once- it was so sickly sweet I sent it back- the low/no sugar crap was so sweet it was awful. The traditional margarits' there are like 400+ I had a sad.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This happened at Subway not so long ago!

We walked in about 2 weeks into our new healthy eating regime and I wanted my old favorite - Chicken and Bacon Ranch on Honey Oat with Cheese and Mayo. Can anyone say 1,280 calories?!

I was HORRIFIED! Needless to say I opted for a Turkey and Ham on Honey Oat without cheese or mayo!

Kaela x
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Shopping in Costco, starving, thought I would get a beef hot dog from their cafeteria. Standing in line I looked up the calories before I ordered. It was around 500 calories! I was so shocked, I didn't order it.

Those things are huge, with a very large bun - Really you were shocked?
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    WHO THE HELL KNEW THAT THE LITTLE COSTCO INNOCENT SLICE OF PIZZA IN THE WINDOW (CHEESE ONLY) IS 660-700 FREAKING CALORIES!!!. OMg...I haven't eaten one since. And to think that my husband would get a slice of the pepperoni pizza and the hotdog as his meal. I hate you Costco for offering such delicious food for so cheap and it's SO MANY FREAKIN' CALORIES!
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A muffin at Second Cup (or any other coffee place I'm sure) was +700 cals. :( Bummer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat astonished that so many people are astonished that large slices of greasy pizza and huge sausages and buns and what not are super calorie dense. Further surprised that people are so shocked that a typical restaurant entree would be so calorie dense considering the typical restaurant entree is 2-3 times the recommended serving size in many cases.