Best way to hard boil eggs?

Options

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I always seem to fail at these. I'll put them in cool water, let it the pan come to a covered boil, and then let them sit for 10-15 minutes off the heat, still covered. I let them sit for 10 minutes the other day, and all of my yolks were still partially uncooked.

Anyone have a secret trick for making good eggs? Thanks!

10 minutes off the heat isn't long enough to cook them all the way through, especially if your eggs' starting point was refrigerator cold. 13 minutes is sufficient for the off-the-heat method. That method is very forgiving of going longer, too. If you were cooking your eggs on the heat, it would be important to not let them go too long, but off the heat you really can't go wrong by going longer.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello my anle is dances with Wow..

and..I would like to officially say.. OMG

Eggs are the gospel of food energy
    They can be prepared in all the ways I have reda here..

but what i saw mssing is something over looked..
    To successfully boil and an egg and not have it come out retarded.. shell sticking to the white,, gooey inside and unfinidhed or have the egs boiled to mush..
    YOU must USE SALT IN THE THE BOILING WATERif Iunderstand the question you are making boiled egs..

1)place sea salet kosher or table slat in water
    2) bring water to a rolling boil
    3) 7 minutes in remove and peel

some people run cold water on them while peeling.. I dont.. i allow it to slow heat cook until the shell is removed.. and done..

Its the Salt which changes the water properties that make hard boiled eggs fool proof and deliciously excellent every time..

Wait til you get a the back story on the best pilot meal shake recipe ever.. Has beaten over 100 shake recipes on the market to day in taste and flavor and versatility to almost every taste and palate

My name is Dances with Wow

and I can help you find Life force unleashed

This acts as a force field to the heat hetaing to fats and
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I bring a pan full of water to a boil, put in my eggs, cook for 11 minutes and immediately put into cold water with ice. Perfect every time and peel so easily!
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs into my electric kettle, fill with cold water to just over the top of the eggs. Turn the kettle on and after it shuts off let the eggs sit for about 10-15 minutes and drain. Fill with cool water and let sit until cool enough to handle.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello my anle is dances with Wow..

and..I would like to officially say.. OMG

They can be prepared in all the ways I have reda here..

but what i saw mssing is something over looked..
    To successfully boil and an egg and not have it come out retarded.. shell sticking to the white,, gooey inside and unfinidhed or have the egs boiled to mush..
    YOU must USE SALT IN THE THE BOILING WATERif Iunderstand the question you are making boiled egs..

1)place sea salet kosher or table slat in water
    2) bring water to a rolling boil
    3) 7 minutes in remove and peel

some people run cold water on them while peeling.. I dont.. i allow it to slow heat cook until the shell is removed.. and done..

Its the Salt which changes the water properties that make hard boiled eggs fool proof and deliciously excellent every time..

Wait til you get a the back story on the best pilot meal shake recipe ever.. Has beaten over 100 shake recipes on the market to day in taste and flavor and versatility to almost every taste and palate

My name is Dances with Wow

and I can help you find Life force unleashed

This acts as a force field to the heat hetaing to fats and

:huh:
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My daughter told me to steam them (15. Min) & they are good & so easy to peel!! I hate when they aren't easy to peel.

definitely going to have to try this. I get in major fights with the eggs and have to stop myself from just completely crushing them in hopes of proving my dominance. :wink:

Many people throw the yoke away. I had so much of the white stick to the shell I had to record yoke only. My most recent one looks like a sculpture of mother earth. I'm thinking about coloring it blue and land color.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked this, the one time I attempted this they came out soft boiled and were yuck. Been meaning to figure this out as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

no. they aren't.

while they are important.

coffee, bacon, pizza, beer and ice cream are the gospels of food energy. (there are five gospels- you would know that if you knew anything about the gospels of food)
    steak is interchangable with bacon- because we know they couldn't make up their mind on the gospels so some got left out- others claim nutella is the one true way- but it's not a gospel- it's a lesser known old testament food.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I place them in a pot of cool water with about an inch of water above the top of the eggs. I bring it to a rolling boil, uncovered. Cover it, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I run cool water over them to stop the cooking process. They've always turned out perfect.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have an egg cooker! LOVE IT! Perfect eggs, every time
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I boil them for 5 mins and then let them sit for 5 mins and that's it!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My egg thread is back!
    I'm moving this weekend and will be doing a HUGE cooking spree once I'm settled, so I'll definitely be testing out some of these methods!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Call me strange, but I do mine in the kettle. I boil it once, wait 5 minutes, then boil it again, leave them for another 10 minutes, then fill the kettle with cold water. Leave for a bit then I stick them in the fridge in their shells for later eating.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get one of these: put it in the pot with the eggs and cool water, bring to a boil, let boil until the timer is shadowed about half way, turn off the heat, let eggs sit in water until timer is completely shadowed. Perfect hard boiled eggs!

http://i.c-b.co/is/image/Crate/EggTimer/$web_zoom$&/1308302307/egg-timer.jpg

word! - low heat/high heat/doesn't matter, this gadget just works. Baking seems ruully over the top
  • Thor_Girl
    Thor_Girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm more shocked that this made 3 pages or that I read it all !! Have fun with your egg boiling :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I pierce the eggs, the put in pan, cover at at leat an inch with water, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, cook for 12 minutes, put eggs in ice bath for at least 10 minutes. Perfect every time. I do find the age of the eggs makes a difference. I have best results with eggs that are about a week old.
  • Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Got to try the baking method, sounds easy!
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How you do it depends in part on your altitude. Water boils at lower temperature as the air pressure decreases with altitude, so you need to boil things longer in high altitude than at sea level, for example.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    This is like the trick question I had when I was in 1st year at uni - if it takes 10 minutes to for 1 hard boiled egg how long would it take for10 eggs?

:laugh:
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump because I fail at making them and there has to be an idea here I won't mess up