410 lbs on my way to 250!

Options
I have started to go to the gym and keep track of my calorie intake. Man is it scary how much I use to eat! Any suggestions on healthy low calorie snacks would be appreciated! I haven't had chips or Ritz in 3 weeks and its hard to stop the cravings late at night!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Veggies and dip, triscuits with reduced fat cheese, fruit, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, apple and pb. If I really want potato chips (I love these things lol) I buy Lays Baked. They're about 120 cal a serving and lower fat. I love the sugar free puddings and jell-o. Hmm..that's all I can think of at the moment!

Btw, welcome to MFP!!! Congrats on your progress so far and good luck to you!!
  • mrsbogatzki
    Options
    I also love the sugar free jello. It only has 10 calories and no sugar or fat! I also have a hard time fighting the cravings of chips...those are my FAVORITE thing!
  • jppoynt
    jppoynt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Chips are huge for me too!!!! I love Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins (the pecan ones are my favorite). They are gluten free (I'm a Celiac) rice & nut crackers. Nutritionally they are a bit better than chips - and they satisfy that chip/cracker thing.
  • Smalls75
    Options
    Thanks for the info! My problem has always been the crunchy craving. I am getting away with eating apples and celery, but i am getting tired of it and need to add something else. I will try the dip and maybe that will help.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The Special K baked crackers are really good. I like the whole wheat ones dipped in 1% fat cottage cheese, or I dip them in a wedge of Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow cheese. I am not a big chip eater, that was never the problem, but the Baked Sour Cream and Onion Lays are delicious. One of my favorite snacks is half a banana sliced on top of a toasted Special K Low Fat waffle with a smear of reduced fat peanut butter. Satisfies the sweet tooth every time!
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Oh Wheatables or Wheat thins (i forget which) make those pecan and almond crackers as well. I LOVE those things!!

Also, for the dip. I make mine with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. One serving is 20 calories and 0 fat, if you get 0% yogurt. Just a thought.
  • mugglewump701
    mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a substitute for chips and dip, try pita chips and hummus - they are really good for you and they've satisfied my chip craving. You could also try low fat wheat thins or lentil chips - I found them in the natural foods section - for a 22 chip serving, they're only 100 calories, 3 grams of fat and a lot of fiber and protein so that's a snack that will keep you full (especially along with the hummus).

I also heard that Special K just made some chips that are supposed to be really good for you. Hope this helped, good luck!
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    Me too I love crunchy/spicy --

I love Wasa High Fiber Crackers (30 cals per cracker) they are ultra crunchy! They have many other varieties.

w/ a little Nutella or Peanut butter
    w/a slice of sharp cheddar and sliced granny smith apple

They are also great for lunch w/low cal Tuna salad and I use them a lot in the place of bread(s) I make stackable turkey sandwiches w/them...

Also another snack I like for crunchy cravings,...
    Wheat Thins or Baked Tortilla Chips w/ Salsa, a whole lot better than having any other dips and you get those veggie servings in

Good Luck :)
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    @Skinnyby29 I will have to look for the pecan/almond crackers. I haven't tried/seen those yet.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Oh something else I just thought of, Blue Diamond makes flavored almonds. That's a great way to get a new taste out of them. They make habanero (not THAT spicy, but a little kick), smokehouse (Love those!), garden herb, there's more but I can't think of them right now. Anyway, they're delicious!
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your stores carry much in the way of 100 calorie packs, but around here we have a variety. Ritz Toasted Chips - they have original and sour cream and chives flavors; Baked Cheetos; Cheetos Cheese Balls. They are also selling a baked type of pringles now in individual servings. I like the 100 cal packs because of the portion control. You can probably buy a larger package and divide them yourself into single servings, but when I in a hurry to head to work, it is awfully convienent. I allow myself 1 100 calorie pack per day of my favorite chips or crackers as a snack. Keeps me in control.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement. We started at close to the same weight, so I understand the struggles. :smile:
  • Smalls75
    Options
    The biggest problem is I work a rotation on 12 hour shifts. So I move from day shift to graveyard. Its hard to turn around at times so I am often up in the middle of the night. IF I have the snacks in the house, I will eat them. My will power is not that strong yet. I would eat one, then decide to eat more. I am hopeful that it will be easier after I have more progress. Then I won't want to eat and gain back all that I have lost. If I eat a bunch of apples or celery, its better for me and my calorie intake doesn't take as big of a hit. Thank you all for the great suggestions!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i actually just found a great low-calorie snack that i had never even heard of before.... potato straws! they're baked, all natural and you can eat 38 of them for around 140 calories. i tried the cheddar flavor and they are y-u-m-m-y!

other filling and yummy snacks that I love... microwave popcorn, vitatops vitamuffins, hard boiled eggs, sugar free fudgesicles
  • cjsmile
    Options
    If I hit a chip craving special k has a new thing out called cracker chips and I love their sour cream and onion one. low fat, low cals and not that high in sodium. Very delicous.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My 'treat' sometimes is an apple with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

Or a mango :)

Or carrots with horseradish (HAHA I'm weird).
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you that you're taking charge. I wish you all the luck on your new journey.

I buy 100 calorie pack cookies by Keebler, Quacker rice cakes, Jello 60 calorie pudding, Special K cereal bars....
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    I would def. recommend the crackers that evryone is recommending. For me, the chips are my weakness. I don't really get cravings for anything sweet but its the savory & salty stuff. So having that crunch would fool my tastebuds into thinking that it is actually a chip.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying I love the crunch I had to keep pounds of baby carrots in the fridge when I first started losing wieght to get the crunch, not my favorite in flavor but I could munch til my teeth hurt and feel satisfied for only about 30 calories.
  • Smalls75
    Options
    My wife is going Grocery shopping today and is taking the suggestions with her. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with the same problem with the cravings!
  • skippy37
    Options
    This is what i do. if i have exercised and had a good day with my food, I eat Weight Watchers Chocolate Eclairs. But I eat all three lol (420 calories) because I have already burned them with exercise.
    Keep up the good work and have a good day.