Diagnosed with binge eating disorder

Options
Okay, so I recently discovered that I binge eat. Now when it comes to dieting, I have a lot of motivation to begin with, then I crave bad foods and eat until I become ill. I know that restrictive diets can have this effect but I never noticed the pattern before I discussed it with my therapist.

Binging happens when I am left alone with my own thoughts - so for e.g. if I've had a bad day then I come home and eat as much as I can possibly consume until I am full. Sometimes I am so full up that I am sick.

I have been recommended to start a low GI diet, this is used for type 2 diabetics.

I would really like to know if anyone else has similar stories, experiences or any advice linked to binging. There is loads of stuff on the internet obviously! However, it would mean a lot to me to create new friends on here and support each other through healthy living.

Replies

• susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just friend requested you. I also suffer from Bulimia, Binge Eating with the restrictive nature and then go all out and eat but I purge. I have been suffering from this for 15 years. Since I was a teenager and it had a name. They simply put me on depression meds and told me to stop being obsessed with the way I look. I go up to 300 lbs and then drop it down to 120. I am almost at my healthy goal weight from the havoc that I have done to my body. I like using this site because when I did binge, I hated seeing the numbers of calories go up. Eventually, it stopped with the help of therapist, OA meetings, Fitness pal and just letting myself relax with a basic meal plan so that I can know what I can eat without having the cravings to binge. It has worked !!!
  • AmyLouKomrska
    Options
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that you have binge eating disorder, but at least you now have a name to put with the beast. Sometimes just knowing what the problem is can be the first step to resolution.

You can beat this! I know you can. I can tell by your message that you have the desire, now you just need the tools and the will-power (which is the hardest).

I do not have any experience or advice on the subject but I believe in you. If you like, friend request me and we can share healthy meal diaries and I can cheer you on. I am an almost 40 year old with two young kids and 40 pounds overweight. I just started about 2 weeks ago and I have already lost a few pounds. I love this app because you are rewarded for exercise with more food! It really makes me get my butt out of bed and out for an early morning walk with the dog.

Stay strong!!
  • kimmidoll90
    Options
    Thanks for your kind messages, girls <3

Yeah it does really suck but you're right - it's nice to finally put a name to it and realise what I need to do to get over it.

Susan - I can totally relate to what you are saying! You look very beautiful and happy in your profile picture, but sometimes it's hard to accept that and changing seems the easiest way. I am glad to hear that this is working for you :) How long have you been battling for?

x
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find going on a diet didn't work for me but changing my overall lifestyle did. I used to eat a lot of cheap fast food ice cream when feeling stress. I think lots of late night eating had more impact on my sleeping pattern. I started to slowly cut certain foods out my life slowly until my body adjusted. Also started to do Sudoku when felt a little stress to take my mind of things. I lost about 50lbs since changing to a more healthy eating and now I experiment with different foods to see how my body reacts.
    Feel free to add me.
  • kimmidoll90
    Options
    wow that's amazing! changing simple things over time really does help by the sounds of it!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I can tell you the best way to conquer is to:

1) Have someone you can talk to when you are feeling the stress start. You may have a best friend, your mom, a co-worker or fellow student. Just someone who will take the time to hear you. Maybe someone on here. My husband has learned to listen to me. Just that. He doesn't try to 'fix it' by giving advice, he just lets me express myself. Bingeing usually starts because you have emotions that you have not dealt with. Learning to recognize that those emotions are building up and need to be addressed before they boil over will help.

2) Plan your meals in advance and include foods you consider treats. Too restrictive a diet will lead to feelings of denial and once again those feelings will get repressed and overwhelm you. When you see that 'Today, I have a cup of ice cream planned for tonight', you will be able to look forward to that treat and know that it was included in your plans and therefore not a coping mechanism but simply a part of your daily way of eating. Food no longer is something that 'takes care of' your emotions but is once again something you can simply look forward to.

I know you can get ahead of this. You may have set-backs, but practice makes perfect and soon it will be habit.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend that you take a look at Raw till 4 program.

With Eating raw you eat unlimited plus your cravings disappear almost completely.
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    PrincessPoquilaPie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am going to send you a request as well if that is okay.
    I have a diagnosed addiction to food due to being raised in a food-restricted poverty level home, and a binge disorder stemming from my bipolar.
    Basically, I would hoard food for a week or so, and when I "go manic" I eat and eat and eat until I cannot move for hours at a time (I no longer throw up when I am full due to effing up my body from purging in my teens).

The thing that has helped me the most is keeping my mind and hands busy. Same as for when someone is trying to quit smoking.
    I took up crocheting and do that whenever I feel the urge to binge (or smoke). The counting of the stitches, and concentration on patterns/my project helps to distract me. If you don't like crocheting you could always try knitting, cross stitch, tatting, lacework, jewelry making, etc. And on the plus side, if you do it a lot you could always sell what you make for a little extra cash! Kind of like a reward for yourself.
  • robinbee99
    robinbee99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself for figuring this out and working on it now. I am 46 years old and struggle with the same issue. I am at the heaviest I've been in awhile. When I restrict too much it triggers a binge and then I get so upset with myself I can go into a down ward spiral for days.I am finally trying to stop the crazy diets and just be healthy and eat because I'm hungry. It's great your getting help. Keep up the good work, It's good to know I'm not alone in my struggles with maintaining a healthy balanced lifestyle. Any tibits you learn and want to pass along would be appreciated.:smile:
  • kimmidoll90
    Options
    Fantastic advice. I am really happy that you are doing so well! I will definitely look into more hobbies as I never looked into it like that before.
    Thanks for the request, I look forward to seeing your updates :) X
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well Written!!!