Sugar cravings - how do you cope?

Options
I am about eight weeks into trying to lose about 50 lbs. Before deciding it was time to get healthy, I would eat sugar like it was going out of style. It didn't seem unreasonable to eat an entire bag of Oreos over a two-day period. Cookies and dark chocolate are what really gets me. Honestly, I've never learned how to eat healthy, so the last eight weeks have been a HUGE change for me. I've been slowly trying to incorporate fruits and vegetables and other whole foods into my diet, but there are many years of bad habits to undo.

For the first six weeks or so I was doing a reasonable job of staying away from the sugar. Sure, I'd slip up once or twice a week, but generally I was able to not binge too bad.

Then one day last week I just HAD to have these double-chocolate cookies from Safeway. They tasted like heaven. Now every day since then it's been something. York peppermint patties, Skittles, Starbucks pastries, and last night, the killer: an entire box of those original amazing cookies. I didn't eat all of them (I think that would have killed me), but I wanted to. I ate three (900 calories!) and felt physically sick to my stomach. This morning I was snacking on yet another one (yes, after I felt so horrible last night!) before I stepped on the scale and there it was...

I was up a pound and a half from my lowest weight, which I recorded on Monday. 20% of my progress undone because I just can't seem to put down the sugar. I don't want to log this weight. I want to get rid of it and continue making progress toward a healthier, more fit me.

Part of my problem is that my husband left last week until September for work. It's easier to eat right and exercise when you have an "audience," particularly when that audience has helpfully told you recently that you're too fat to be attractive. (Which is the truth so, while it's bugged me a bit, has been good motivation.) But honestly the bigger problem is years and years of giving in to myself whenever I had a sugar craving.

So, what do you suggest to put an end to the sugar habit? I bought myself some "healthy alternatives" in the form of Fiber One brownies and Healthy Choice fudgesicles, but at the end of the day I think those just encourage the cravings. If you've sat all the way through this novel of a post, I hope you'll be able to give me some advice!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You have issues with binge eating, not sugar.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of organic peppermints on hand. I get the sweet snack without the "crack" that tells me I need more sugar. and I do high protein and fat, so I'm usually satiated enough to pass on the side snacks. prelogging for the day helps, too. "I can have a candy bar now, or wait an hour and eat something that's going to benefit my body." ...I've been dealing with this for a while. ;)

best of luck!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I would recommend, because it worked for me, is to carry around the fun size MM.
    When you have the urge to eat something with sugar try the a bag and walk away
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving those sugary treats I've found a good and fairly healthy substitute is fruits + Greek yogurt.

But I don't often crave sugar... I tend to prefer salty/crunchy... so staying away from the salt and vinegar kettle chips that my husband and I both love so much has been the tough part for me.

Good luck... I hope you find something that works for you. :)
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    He told you WHAT?! Ohhhhhh honey no no no no no noooooo that is NOT ok. If he's you're husband, he should find you attractive for more than just your physical appearance. That is asinine and ridiculous and I'm sorry for how much that had to hurt!

If you want to lose weight, it should be because YOU want to do so, and for YOURSELF ONLY. Not because someone else says that you need to or that you would be "better" if you were lighter.

Sorry, I know that's nothing close to what you were looking for, but it just had to be said. Good luck to you sweetie????
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    would chewing gum get you over the passing craving?
    For the record judging from your profile picture you are very pretty!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I am about eight weeks into trying to lose about 50 lbs. Before deciding it was time to get healthy, I would eat sugar like it was going out of style. It didn't seem unreasonable to eat an entire bag of Oreos over a two-day period. Cookies and dark chocolate are what really gets me. Honestly, I've never learned how to eat healthy, so the last eight weeks have been a HUGE change for me. I've been slowly trying to incorporate fruits and vegetables and other whole foods into my diet, but there are many years of bad habits to undo.

For the first six weeks or so I was doing a reasonable job of staying away from the sugar. Sure, I'd slip up once or twice a week, but generally I was able to not binge too bad.

Then one day last week I just HAD to have these double-chocolate cookies from Safeway. They tasted like heaven. Now every day since then it's been something. York peppermint patties, Skittles, Starbucks pastries, and last night, the killer: an entire box of those original amazing cookies. I didn't eat all of them (I think that would have killed me), but I wanted to. I ate three (900 calories!) and felt physically sick to my stomach. This morning I was snacking on yet another one (yes, after I felt so horrible last night!) before I stepped on the scale and there it was...

I was up a pound and a half from my lowest weight, which I recorded on Monday. 20% of my progress undone because I just can't seem to put down the sugar. I don't want to log this weight. I want to get rid of it and continue making progress toward a healthier, more fit me.

Part of my problem is that my husband left last week until September for work. It's easier to eat right and exercise when you have an "audience," particularly when that audience has helpfully told you recently that you're too fat to be attractive. (Which is the truth so, while it's bugged me a bit, has been good motivation.) But honestly the bigger problem is years and years of giving in to myself whenever I had a sugar craving.

So, what do you suggest to put an end to the sugar habit? I bought myself some "healthy alternatives" in the form of Fiber One brownies and Healthy Choice fudgesicles, but at the end of the day I think those just encourage the cravings. If you've sat all the way through this novel of a post, I hope you'll be able to give me some advice!

I don't think you should stay away from sugar. I'm firmly in the moderation camp. If you deny yourself something you love, when you break down and eat it (which is inevitable, IMO), you'll binge on it.

Allow yourself a treat a day - like an oreo or two, or a mini snickers, or a small bowl of ice cream. Just make sure it fits into your calorie goals. Try to get prepackaged stuff, so you're not staring at a large bag of stuff you really want.

If you feel you cannot do the above due to lack of self control, then I don't think you've actually decided to lose the weight. I know that sounds harsh, but you if you're going to change your lifestyle, you're doing to have to have self control.

Also - make sure you're doing this weight loss stuff because YOU want to, not because your husband says you're too fat.
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I'm really craving something sweet, I like Weight Watchers snack size ice cream fudge bars. One is only 45 calories. Yum!
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Instead of going cold turkey and vowing off all sweets, buy 1 treat item for the week (if Oreo are your thing, take 3 out and throw the rest away, give to your neighbor, take to your office and let the coworkers devour!). Then it is your choice as to when to enjoy the treat - instant gratification or after you've done something to deserve a treat (an extra long walk).

My best defense for not eating the goodies is to do something (anything) to get busy and also to drink a glass of water. I read once that if you crave chocolate eat a hard boiled egg - it's supposed to help with the craving. Also, I've found if I can avoid chocolate for at least 2 days I find my cravings diminish.

Hope these ideas might help. Its hard to break old habits, and remember almost everyone on MFP had an issue with food, or else why would they be on MFP? Best of luck!!!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

^^^ You can eat the sugar you just need to eat it to where it fits into your daily calories and you are still at a deficit.
  • michirusan82
    michirusan82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said. I would get rid of the sugary stuff, you can't eat it if its not there. Keep on hand a few reasonable portioned treats. Try not to give in. Its a slippery slope as you have seen. Don't beat yourself up over it though we all have done it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Moderation takes practice. You know that sweets are something you love. Practice eating them in a sensible way. Be conscious of it and remove the emotional connection. Buy a food scale and start weighing out a portion. There's something about using a food scale and weighing a serving that puts things in perspective, takes the emotion out of eating the item, and allows you to still have something. Prelogging treats also helps you learn moderation.

It isn't bad to have a treat once in a while, but be conscious about how you consume it.

Don't expect perfection overnight. Be kind to yourself, understand that you'll occasionally overindulge, and just move on. It gets easier every day.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    >I don't think you should stay away from sugar. I'm firmly in the moderation camp. If you deny yourself something you love, when you break down and eat it (which is inevitable, IMO), you'll binge on it.

This has not been my experience. If I avoid things, then when I have them, maybe I'll have two instead of one, but I won't go all out.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I keep Hershey nuggets in the house to use in emergencies, and I just don't buy any other sweets. I have no self-control once I get them home, but I'm pretty good about not buying them. Hershey nuggets are boring enough so that I don't usually eat them just for fun, but they are hard-core enough for emergencies.

Also--I know this sounds silly--I try to go to bed before 10p. I have self-control until 10p, but 10:01p, the cravings start, and I have no self-control--not even with Hershey nuggets.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

And the two are completely unrelated? Wrong, at least for some people. Binge eating is not psychological at all in my experience; rather, one of many symptoms of malnutrition/disordered metabolism.

OP: the only way I cope is that I don't eat added sugar at all and I limit natural sugars. I have zero sugar cravings when I'm barely eating any sugar. The first week or two of cutting the sugar is not much different than coming off of drugs, unfortunately, but it can be done. Or you can just struggle for years trying to use moderation and willpower as many here will advise... which was a big fail for me. Glad I found a better way.
  • nodebtjoe
    nodebtjoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I get the urge to eat something I shouldn't, I go take a 20 minute walk or do some other sort of exercise. It tends to get my mind off the craving and suppresses the hunger feeling. It doesn't always work, but it does help more times than not.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree that it might be easier to continue eating sugars just do it in moderation and after a large glass of water or a big meal so you are less likely to keep going. Just fit 100ish calories a day for a treat, etc. Some protein powders taste pretty darn delicious
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me is to completely cut it out. It's really hard for the first few days, but give it a week. You have to stay away from anything that even resembles dessert for 1 week. Then you will find that you crave it less. Apart from that, keep the sweets out of your house. Out of sight, out of mind. Cold turkey is the only thing that has worked for me in the past.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have cut my carbs, all carbs, rice, white bread, potatoes, sweets, etc back to very low. Some people don't agree with this approach but for me it stops the sugar cravings dead in their tracks. Best of luck to you.

And I agree with a previous poster...if my husband said that to me I would seriously be wondering what is wrong? That isn't the way married couples should talk to one another.

Best of luck...friend me if you would like to.????
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Can you pick a goal, say, ina 5 or 10 pound loss, in which you will then treat yourself to the oreos or whatever? Maybe when you get to that marker, you will be so happy with yourself that you might just say forget the treat.
    I too am a sugar junkie. In fact, I deal with it now by eating protein bars, kettle corn or simply knowing that one will not be enough, so I walk away. It is hard, and I give you kudos for the lost weight! Plus, your hubby is not a nice man, I am sorry, but you are beautiful. I bet he is not!