Starting Keto!

Options
Hey all, so I'm just starting the keto diet and would love any advice or input. I am vegetarian but eat seafood occasionally, so my diet is a little different. However, as you can tell from my food diary the last 3 days I am staying within macros and eating between 20 and 30 net carbs a day. So far I have not lost any weight, but I am wondering if there is anything I am doing wrong or if I just need to wait it out. I only have about 20 lbs I want to lose, and even down 10 lbs would put me at an average weight for my height. I am 21 just for reference. Things I'm concerned about: eating too much cheese (I love it and it really gets those fats since I'm vegetarian), if keto will take more time since I'm only looking to lose 20 lbs, and any advice/help from those in a similar weight/height doing keto.

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, I had wine last night but am not planning on drinking at all the next few months.

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

Make sure you are weighing everything, even the cheese.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Is there any specific reasons you're doing Keto instead of just a calorie deficit? Have you actually done the research on this diet and what happens to your body when it goes in to ketosis?
  • caitlingettingfit14
    caitlingettingfit14 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just opened my food journal!

Also, I'm looking to do keto, because I want to lose fat and work on building more strength (weight lifting/strength training). I also have been reading a lot about increased energy/mood. I am already sensitive to carbs and recently plateaued while eating about 40 to 70 carbs a day, so I wanted to give low carb another try. I lost 10 lbs throughout this year and had the best results when I was consciously eating low carb (though not as low as a keto diet).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water.

Also, if you aren't already, weigh EVERYTHING you put into your mouth. You'd be surprised just how much we underestimate, just by not weighing our food.

Good luck to you!
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options
    I have read all of the science behind keto, and from what I've read it is possible to do it with a vegetarian diet. I am looking for advice particular to people in my height/weight range and vegetarian diet, because I find most people are looking to lose significant weight or eat a meat-based diet.
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! Water may be the culprit as I don't track it very thoroughly.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well it hasn't been much time. I see that sometimes you are over 30. Staying closer to 20 will certainly get ketosis started faster if that is what you want.

Some tricks: full fat instead of non fat, heavy cream instead of half n half (just be careful of calories), cut tomatoes unless you know you are staying under your goal, use meat substitutes as little as possible since they seem to contain carbs instead of meat (obviously just make sure you are under your goal), and don't forget to eat avocados if you can get them.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Also, I'm looking to do keto, because I want to lose fat and work on building more strength (weight lifting/strength training). I also have been reading a lot about increased energy/mood. I am already sensitive to carbs and recently plateaued while eating about 40 to 70 carbs a day, so I wanted to give low carb another try. I lost 10 lbs throughout this year and had the best results when I was consciously eating low carb (though not as low as a keto diet).

Keto diets don't produce any faster results than regular calorie deificits. I would advise against doing anything you can't do for life. You'll likely gain the weight again after you start eating carbs.

Do what works for you. Just try not to make this more complicated than it has to be.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Keto is something I chose, due to alot of different foods making me feel drained and wanting to crash. Probably because I was borderline diabetic. But, from my experience so far, Keto has eliminated that feeling. That's personally the reason I do it. I also find it very sustainable for me. That is, as long as I'm getting close or just past my calorie allotment for the day.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options

Keto diets don't produce any faster results than regular calorie deificits. I would advise against doing anything you can't do for life. You'll likely gain the weight again after you start eating carbs.

Do what works for you. Just try not to make this more complicated than it has to be.
    LOL.Ok
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    OP, Read my profile, I try to keep it up to date. But I have come long way on Keto in last 6 months. Thats what lot of pros i know use to cut fat quickly and compete. Legendary body builders like Arnold Scharzeneggar and Reg Park in their books talk about what you need to do to cut fat quickly. Read their books, its pretty similar to Keto.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat keto-style, but I eat meats too. I also eat LOTS of veggies. I would suggest looking up recipes for casseroles that involve mainly veggies, as well as soups. I make TONS of veggie soups and veggie casseroles that are cheesy, creamy and awesome.

The reason you may not be losing is because you may not have much to lose to begin with. When it comes to women, or women that are close to or at a healthy weight, the loss will be slower. So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing, maybe up the water intake and be patient.

Oh and expect questions and critiquing of your eating lifestyle. It comes with the territory of doing low carb around here.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think you're on-track for ketogenesis except for the wine. Alcohol is metabolized even before sugar, so it will get between you and your goal. Aside: TJ smoked gouda has 0 carbs - unbelievable! Does it taste any good?

You might want to get some keto-strips to have an indication when it happens, and to relate it to how you feel.
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options
    I eat keto-style, but I eat meats too. I also eat LOTS of veggies. I would suggest looking up recipes for casseroles that involve mainly veggies, as well as soups. I make TONS of veggie soups and veggie casseroles that are cheesy, creamy and awesome.

The reason you may not be losing is because you may not have much to lose to begin with. When it comes to women, or women that are close to or at a healthy weight, the loss will be slower. So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing, maybe up the water intake and be patient.

Oh and expect questions and critiquing of your eating lifestyle. It comes with the territory of doing low carb around here.

Definitely looking to make veggie soups with the vegetable broth from trader joe's! Definitely going to keep going
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options
    I think you're on-track for ketogenesis except for the wine. Alcohol is metabolized even before sugar, so it will get between you and your goal. Aside: TJ smoked gouda has 0 carbs - unbelievable! Does it taste any good?

You might want to get some keto-strips to have an indication when it happens, and to relate it to how you feel.

The smoked gouda from Tj's is AMAZING. They have an amazing cheese selection, almost all hormone/rBST free. The prices are also great - 2nd in my opinion to buying some of the high quality bulk cheese they sell at Costco (feta, parmesan, goat cheese, etc). I've been looking into purchasing the Phinex diagnostic strips to see when I reach ketosis - any thoughts or other recommendations?
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options
    Well it hasn't been much time. I see that sometimes you are over 30. Staying closer to 20 will certainly get ketosis started faster if that is what you want.

Some tricks: full fat instead of non fat, heavy cream instead of half n half (just be careful of calories), cut tomatoes unless you know you are staying under your goal, use meat substitutes as little as possible since they seem to contain carbs instead of meat (obviously just make sure you are under your goal), and don't forget to eat avocados if you can get them.

As I've been reading all day, I came to these same conclusions! Heavy whipping cream instead of half & half seems like a great option.
  • caitlingettingfit14
    Options

Yes, I read Upwright's post before I started! Great info. How do you feel about the meat substitutes? I've only been eating the lowest carb ones, but I'm still unsure since they're processed - thoughts?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets offer no metabolic advantage over a protein matched isocaloric diet.

Ketogenic diets are definitely not beneficial for building strength.

Lack of carbs and animals seems like you could be setting yourself up for possible micronutrient deficiencies to me.

I have done CKD before and they do work but unless you are insulin resistant or closing in on VERY low BF's keto isn't really required IMO. I prefer to diet the easiest way possible. For most people, that will be a varied diet that has adequate protein and a calorie deficit.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Yes, I read Upwright's post before I started! Great info. How do you feel about the meat substitutes? I've only been eating the lowest carb ones, but I'm still unsure since they're processed - thoughts?

I try to stay away from processed foods, but if I didn't eat meat I'd probably eat meat substitutes and try to find the "least processed" ones I could while still fitting keto macros. Plenty of people on MFP eat processed foods and are able to lose weight; as long as they fit your macro goals, I don't think they will hinder your weight loss. :)