Midnight Snacks

Options
Hey! I'm looking for advice on snacking at night… I go to the gym every evening and come back to the dorm and eat my dinner around 7pm. I typically do not fall asleep until about 1:30 am because I toss and turn a lot because I'm away from home for the summer.

Even though, around 11pm/midnight I get so hungry! I don't know about you but I can't go to sleep when I have hungry pains. So I usually get a serving of almonds or one of my 100 calorie smart popcorn snacks. (always something low in calories)

I hear it is not good in general to eat late at night because you food is fuel and you won't use that energy if you are just going to sleep in the near future.

So my questions are:

1. Is it unhealthy for me to eat a snack around midnight even though I won't be using that energy I'm consuming?

2. Since the log resets at midnight, Do I log my midnight snack on my log for the previous day (since basically I'm still up and haven't eaten all my exercise calories) or on the new day?

Let me know! Xo

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter, your body will use that fuel(calories) the following day. I have late snacks all the time! You should include it in that previous days' log.
  • Chilepepper34
    Chilepepper34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I don't believe it's unhealthy to have a nice healthy midnight snack (I always go for apples and peanut butter). I eat when I'm hungry, but I'm also a night owl and tend to stay up an hour or two after I eat. I always log it for the following day.

Just make sure it's light and healthy - I've never gained weight/had a problem from midnight snacks.

Feel free to add me (: Always looking for new buddies to support and talk to.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I always have 100calorie bags of popcorn for night snacking. No, it's not bad to eat at any time of night, you're body is always in need of energy (ya know, breathing and digesting, and pumping blood, right?). As a rule, for example, if I have a late snack (before I go to bed for the night) tonight, it will be logged on today's diary. I arbitrarily chose "I'm awake still, so it is still 'today'". Others go by the clock--i.e. after midnight, it's tomorrow. Whichever you choose, always stick with it, and it will be accurate and true.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter, your body will use that fuel(calories) the following day. I have late snacks all the time! You should include it in that previous days' log.

^this is me too.

Hell, last night my snack was...1400 calories at 10pm. Lol.
  • saistarxo
    saistarxo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU all for the advice/comments! :-)