How do you make new friends?

Options
Scumbag_Gil
Scumbag_Gil Posts: 397 Member
Okay so all my friends just wanna puff the magic dragon and party with this girl Molly. I'm not about that life to be honest. I would rather stay in and watch a few documentaries, hit up the zoo or aquarium, or go to the gym. I end up doing those things alone most of the time. How can I make new friends? I was thinking of hitting up Barnes & Noble or signing up for volunteer work at PAWS to meet new people. I thought about Craigslist but I really don't feel like getting violated in some dark alley. I'm 18 so I can't go to bars yet.

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Molly sounds like a *kitten*!!
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I always make friends with wild party people easily, but no prudish squares like myself.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well scumbag, I would say change your user to *kitten* and continue to take pics of your body parts and use them for your profile pic.. but thats just my advice! :) good luck!

Okay....? Rude.... Maybe you should stick around & take notes because I have a feeling you don't have any friends either.
    it was a joke, geesh why so serious!? :)
  • theflamingpopsicle
    theflamingpopsicle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Craigslist is a baaaaad idea. If you're at all religious, church groups are a good way to meet people who aren't into that stuff and would consider documentaries and trips to the zoo/aquarium to be waaaaay more fun than partying until you can't remember your own name. High school or university clubs that suit your interests are a good way once school starts in the fall.
  • chaseroks
    chaseroks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would do what you were thinking. Go to Barnes and Noble, or even go to the aquarium alone. When you're there, introduce yourself and put yourself out there. You'll make friends, you just need to make an effort :)
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well scumbag, I would say change your user to *kitten* and continue to take pics of your body parts and use them for your profile pic.. but thats just my advice! :) good luck!

Okay....? Rude.... Maybe you should stick around & take notes because I have a feeling you don't have any friends either.
    it was a joke, geesh why so serious!? :)
    Sorry, who's John Mayer? ;)
    Because I'm home alone on a beautiful night listening to bright eyes and john Mayer :,(
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    in for answers since I don't have any friends I haven't banged
  • bolesbe
    bolesbe Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't really try it just happens
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I want to be friends with your friends that like to party with Molly. They sound like fun!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Craigslist is a baaaaad idea. If you're at all religious, church groups are a good way to meet people who aren't into that stuff and would consider documentaries and trips to the zoo/aquarium to be waaaaay more fun than partying until you can't remember your own name. High school or university clubs that suit your interests are a good way once school starts in the fall.

Craigslist is actually not a bad idea. Just be safe about it, and don't share your address or workplace until you know they're not crazy. :wink: I met a girl through CL about 4 years ago, and she was great. We're still good friends. She came to my wedding. Even though she moved out of state for school we always meet up for lunch when she's in town!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Go take any university class. I find they are mainly made up of mature individuals.

I am honestly in the same boat as you. All of my friends in highschool were stoners, and I grew out of that phase, while they did not. Now as an adult...all my friends are alcoholics...they will likely never grow out of that. Basically, I am friendless. Have you ever seen the movie, "I love you, man" ?

Anyway, I really dont care for friends. I believe a lot of people are out for themselves and just leach off of me (yes, I do recognize this attitude is due to my past experiences with "friends".) I basically stick to socializing at work...otherwise, I dont care to put effort into any other relationships besides my boyfriend, dogs, family and myself.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've made a lot of my 'non partying' friends through work, or friends of friends.
    Look for groups to join in the community? I don't know where you live, or what is on offer, but where I live, we have community centres for different things, yoga, blokes group, mum's with prams etc. A little bit of something for everyone.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    cb55_full_view.jpg
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Go take any university class. I find they are mainly made up of mature individuals.

I am honestly in the same boat as you. All of my friends in highschool were stoners, and I grew out of that phase, while they did not. Now as an adult...all my friends are alcoholics...they will likely never grow out of that. Basically, I am friendless. Have you ever seen the movie, "I love you, man" ?

Anyway, I really dont care for friends. I believe a lot of people are out for themselves and just leach off of me (yes, I do recognize this attitude is due to my past experiences with "friends".) I basically stick to socializing at work...otherwise, I dont care to put effort into any other relationships besides my boyfriend, dogs, family and myself.
  • bolesbe
    bolesbe Posts: 212
    Options
    cb55_full_view.jpg
    AWESOME
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    cb55_full_view.jpg
    AWESOME

Not trying to be a smartass...was just the first thing that came to mind!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do something new that attracts the kind of people you want to hang with. the rest will take clare of itself.