burning calories with motorcycle driving?

Options
Are there any motorcyclists?

I found this on the internet -> http://blog.leatherup.com/2010/05/11/motorcycle-riding-burns-calories/.
and also this -> http://www.weightlossblogger.org/2010/02/riding-motorcycle-can-burn-calories.html

I am aware that MotoGP guys probably burn 100x more than someone who goes for a slow 1 hour ride, but still i think it's pretty interesting.
I'm not sure how much you can count on the calories burned with motorcycle driving (or even how to calculate them) when there are so many different varieties of driving.

I do wonder about a heart rate, when some idiot almost drives you over... or when you're so excited about something. That's like aerobic exercise, keeping your pulse high all the time :P

If i drive aggressively whole day i certainly FEEL the difference the next day in my muscles. And i dont think it's just because of the position on the motorcycle.
I definitely know that my neck feels stronger (which i felt when i started driving. mostly when driving against the strong wind at a high speed for a longer period of time). Then there are the wrist flexors and hand muscles (gripping the handlebars, using the clutch..)Sometimes i feel my shoulder muscles, specially when driving more agressively. And there is also the fact that my bike's seat is too high and if i want to touch the ground with one foot, i have to slide down the seat half way. And because sometimes i just cant be bothered i simply stand on the points of my toes (still have to slide a bit off the seat) and this had a big impact on my calves.

But yes well. I know that most people dont think about motorcycle driving as a strenuous activity, but it is. You move all the time, you lean into the corner, you use your legs and arms, you're in a certain position while sitting on the bike and so on.

So what is your opinion about it?

Replies

• idahoprincess72
    idahoprincess72 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, just found your post. I log my rides as exercise if they are an hour or longer and use the pre-calculated calories on MFP. I've tried calculating calories on my HRM, but it's greatly inflated. I can definitely tell a difference in my muscles if the ride mostly consists of stop & go in town or if I'm in heavy wind, which is normal in Colorado.

Comment on the height of your bike - you can lower it by just an inch for better footing by replacing your shocks with progressive shocks (depending on your bike model/type). I had to do this and became so much more comfortable when stopping & starting. And, it's much safer for you if you have a quick stop. There are so many ways to lower your bike inexpensively, but do what makes you comfortable.

Happy riding! Rubber side down!
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    I ride also, never thought of logging it. Your right, there isnt a muscle not used while riding. My husband bought the brackets and lowered my bike for me, it cost about $40, got them off ebay. It will make a big difference.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    The first link says we burn about 36 calories more an hour when we ride than when we drive a car. If you ride for 10 hours in a week, you burn 360 calories. For a woman on a 1200 cal/day diet, that's about 4%. I'd say we should just count it as a bonus workout and not eat it back. 360 calories would account for 1/10 pound lost. If you ride 10 hours a week for 10 weeks you'll lose a pound. At 45 mph, I estimate the gas for the 10 weeks will cost you $450. That would pay for a lot of gym time..... lol. RIde to the gym! Besides, if you are riding, it's unlikely you will stop and grab a snack to eat on the way home.
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning to log it in as exercise, because i have no idea how many calories i'd burn. Specially withouth the HRM i doubt there would be even any sense in trying. But i think it's really interesting :)

Oh and the height of the bike doesn't bother me. I've had 4 years to get used to it and i feel totally comfortable and confident that i can stop safely even tho i dont reach the floor so well. The only problem i have is rearing the bike :) So heavy if you have only fingertips to hold on haha. So i just hop off the seat and push it back. No problem there :)
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So this might seem stupid or superficial, but i wonder how do you keep your nails long (if you do)? I mean i have extra small size leather gloves which are still a little too big for my hands and yet after a long ride i'll surely break a nail. And while i dont pay attention to such details i am pissed off if i have 7 long nails and 3 short ones -.- Thus my nails are all the same only in winter.

*And i will not have fake nails.. just sayin :)
  • unicorns_play
    Options
    I absolutely think it should be logged as exercise. :) I ride. I have a 91 Honda CBR...not a cruiser, and I'm fairly aggressive when I ride, but still err on the safe side. I enjoy the corners, as most riders do! I was just out riding today. I rode for about 3 hours today, not including the 30min break I took for a sugar free tea & chat with family/friends. When I got home, not only was I tired, sweaty (I wear all my gear...helmet, leather jacket, kevlar jeans, boots, gloves, backpack for extras), my muscles were a bit fatigued, and my wrists and forearms, calves, and quads were absolutely sore.

I agree...I feel nearly every muscle in the body is used riding. I found a calorie chart saying that one hour of "scooter or motorcycle" riding was 102 calories burned....I don't see how you can compare scooter riding with how I ride. So, I think you all are right, that its hard to measure the total calories burned. With that...it would be great to just call the riding a "bonus workout", as one user mentioned! I like that idea, as I don't have an opportunity to ride everyday, but the days I do ride, I don't often get a chance to work out, so I will take the cheap way out and call it a workout.

As for the nails...I gave up on keeping my nails done. I keep them fairly short and it works best with my glove,s as well as other things, like typing and treating patients.

Ride safe everyone!!!
  • lascoot
    lascoot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm just back from a three-hour "scooter" ride mostly on twisty little country roads. Very gusty today and decided to head home via the highway because I was tired and sweaty.
    I'm sure that I didn't burn as much as you did on the CBR but my body sure thinks it was more than that 102/hr quoted on calorielab.com !
  • walterP33
    walterP33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cut those nails! I like women with short nice nails! So do most men! As far as motorcycle riding eating calories....you bet it does and lots of them. Try riding all day in the hot sun with the wind buffeting you at 75 miles per hour. It's very tiring and so uses many calories. I don't know how to count them, but I know it uses lots. You're sweating out water at the same time but it gets blow dried off your body. Drink lots of water. I have a variable height windshield on my FJR1300 and still wind effects me. If you have an open bike you will burn many more calories. Oh my unicorns_play you are so sweet and cute and SMART. I jus read your reply and agree with it 100%!!!
  • darladanis
    darladanis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have added driving a motorcycle to the database at 102 calories an hour--this is my favorite exercise!
  • pettibois
    pettibois Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow Darla that is amazing for you by the way how are you?
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have added driving a motorcycle to the database at 102 calories an hour--this is my favorite exercise!

I agree - can't beat hitting the twisties for a day...on a good day's riding I do summit like 200+ miles, never really logged it on MPF tho. I tend to stop about every hour just because concentration levels go down the pan, can't wait for the warmer weather...and getting new tyres tomorrow...whhooho (sorry forgot THIS IS NOT A MOTORCYCLE FORUM...)
  • riderguydave
    riderguydave Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm gradually getting into MFP and I'm glad that some fellow riders have raised this question. While I wouldn't think of riding as a substitute for more "traditional" forms of exercise, it would definitely be nice to put it down if for no other reason than completeness. Thanks for raising the topic!
  • DaveFromTX
    DaveFromTX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does burn some calories. But, the biker lifestyle tends to be to ride to some some great (not not necessarily healthy) places to eat. I used to ride a bicycle a lot for enjoyment and to burn calories. Then I bought a motorcycle. I packed on the weight. I love motorcycle riding. Something had to give - I joined a gym and am making better food choices. The MyFitnessPal app on my iPhone has been helpful. I'd like to hear from other motorcycle riders so we can share experiences on the motorcycle riding and fitness journey.