Head hunger

Options
I'm having the hardest time dealing with head hunger. I physically don't feel hungry, however, mentally I feel as if I should be eating something . Have this happened to anyone else? and if so, what did you do to get over this?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating enough, listen to your stomach, not your head. It happens to me a lot and I stay out of the kitchen when it does. Try chewing gum or maybe eat more protein so you'll feel fuller longer.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Could be boredom hunger?

When I'm really, really bored... my head tells me I'm hungry, even if I'm not physically hungry.

Boredom hunger is hard to cope with, but I find that finding other things to do to pass the time helps. I'll write, or read a book, or play my DS, or go for a walk and realize I was never actually hungry.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The way I deal with that is to only eat at meal times (which can include scheduled snacks but I don't have any really unless there is a social occasion which involves some).

The clear division between "times for eating" and the rest of time eventually trains your mind to stop thinking it should be eating the rest of the time. I don't get hungry until about an hour before my meals now, then I get ravenous which makes my meals soooo satisfying and tasty.

Totally get what grandmother meant about spoiling my appetite now, hunger totally is the best condiment.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Thanks love! your right about the gum thing because I'm used to chewing and I think my body misses that action...:drinker:
    As long as you're eating enough, listen to your stomach, not your head. It happens to me a lot and I stay out of the kitchen when it does. Try chewing gum or maybe eat more protein so you'll feel fuller longer.
  • cutiepie2628
    Options
    YOur right.. it could be boredom hunger. I work nights and my job consist of me sitting behind a desk at a computer for 12 hours. I need more to do while at work. Thanks a million love

Could be boredom hunger?

When I'm really, really bored... my head tells me I'm hungry, even if I'm not physically hungry.

Boredom hunger is hard to cope with, but I find that finding other things to do to pass the time helps. I'll write, or read a book, or play my DS, or go for a walk and realize I was never actually hungry.
  • cutiepie2628
    Options

Wow! good stuff. I'm going to practice this more; Thanks a million...

The way I deal with that is to only eat at meal times (which can include scheduled snacks but I don't have any really unless there is a social occasion which involves some).

The clear division between "times for eating" and the rest of time eventually trains your mind to stop thinking it should be eating the rest of the time. I don't get hungry until about an hour before my meals now, then I get ravenous which makes my meals soooo satisfying and tasty.

Totally get what grandmother meant about spoiling my appetite now, hunger totally is the best condiment.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I agree with timing. It helps a lot with training your brain to eat at certain times. However, it's super important to learn to listen to your body. If your truly hungry e.g., stomach growling, etc. then chug a bunch of water and feed your body. I get "head hunger" too but it's very hard to describe for me. My stomach is full and I am not hungry but my overall body feels hungry... it's hard to explain. Just an overall feeling that I need to eat and need to give my body some nutrients.

Planning, will power and distraction. Hard at first but like anything else it will soon become habit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal timing, portion control, focus on fresh food and food groups has helped me. And mindul eating.

The Hunger Scale
    10 – Stuffed: You are so full, you feel nauseous.
    9 – Very uncomfortably full: You need to loosen your clothes.
    8 – Uncomfortably full: You feel bloated.
    7 – Full: You feel a little bit uncomfortable.
    6 – Perfectly comfortable: You feel satisfied.
    5 – Comfortable: You’re more or less satisfied, but could eat a little more.
    4 – Slightly uncomfortable: You’re just beginning to feel signs of hunger.
    3 – Uncomfortable: Your stomach is rumbling.
    2 – Very uncomfortable: You feel irritable and unable to concentrate.
    1 – Weak and light-headed: Your stomach acid is churning.

Some tips here:
    http://www.thebestlife.com/article-archive/get-to-know-the-hunger-scale/
    But disregard the "you need to eat breakfast" part.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. My tummy is full but my head craves a biscuit or a packet of crisps. Very occassionally i give in but mostly i have a strong word with myself along the lines of 'you've already eaten dinner tonight, you do not need this. You will not have it, no, no, no. Have a cup of tea instead.'
    And then i'm dead pleased with myself that i didn't give in and have another word with myself along the lines of ' yeay, you did it, i knew you could, well done you, well done me!'
    I know :screwy:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When I want a piece of chocolate and I have eaten everything I think I should that day and still have room for it, I eat the chocolate.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    To my surprise, the more care I take to get all my vitamins and minerals for the day, the less head hunger I have. I thought that would just control regular hunger, but the sugar cravings are gone, too. We'll see if they come back, but I even got through the dreaded TOM without too much issue.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have never heard it called this.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    \m/
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Whats_in_your_head__by_paras2e.jpg
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    \m/

Oh, the wisdom of the Grinch. Learning self control is hard. If you do it - it's a win all over the place. Start small, delay things a little. The stronger you get, the easier it will become (and it's a remarkably empowering feeling) .
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I have never heard it called this.

^ -- This. "Head hunger" sounds strange to me, and borderline dirty. I've only heard it called "Eating out of sheer boredom" (without the word "sheer", it's just head hunger.)

Animated-GIFS-How-to-properly-eat-a-banana.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    maybe because I've studied too much anthropology and palaeoanthropology, but "head hunger" makes me think of humans hunting other humans for food.

OP: serious answer: best thing is probably to distract yourself and find something else to do. Or chew gum if you feel like your mouth and teeth should be doing something.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I've got head cravings too.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm having the hardest time dealing with head hunger. I physically don't feel hungry, however, mentally I feel as if I should be eating something . Have this happened to anyone else? and if so, what did you do to get over this?

Head / Hedonic Hunger is an interesting area when it comes to over eating.

I think it is undoubtedly true that some people eat not because they are physically hungry but to fulfil other "needs" - the classic emotional or binge eater scenario.

I would suggest reading some literature on mindful eating - something like "Eating Less" by Gillian Riley.