Good protein shake?

Options
Hello! I have been working out for about 5 weeks now, so I am new to the whole weight loss thing. I weight 130 pounds and want to get down to 120. I lowered my calorie intake to 1350 calories and have been working out with High Intensity Cardio and Strength training 4 days a week. Can anyone suggest a good protein shake recipe or store bought protein shake?

Thanks!

Replies

• mselihar
    mselihar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey daxramsey - congrats on your goal! Not too far to go.

Whey protein is the best for muscle repair. Period. Gold Standard is a great choice. The 5g of glutamine and 5g of bcaas (both aid in recovery) are an added benefit. Whey breaks down and activates fast - take within 30 minutes of completing HIIT.

Casein protein is a slowly digesting protein which is great for curbing late night hunger and keeping you satisfied until the morning. 1/3-1/2 cup of cottage cheese before bed. Better than supplements since the fats in cottage cheese will also help your joints recover.

I just mix 1 scoop with 6 oz of water - blends easily (no lumping) and tastes great. Even better with whole milk but with 1350 you have to save those calories.

Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I second Gold Standard Whey. I use their Double Rich Chocolate flavor whey protein as a supplement and I think it tastes great even just mixed with water (having some right now actually). I tried the Cookies and Cream flavor and hated it so they aren't all winners.
  • daxramsey1
    Options
    Thanks so much! This helps me so much. I have been using chocolate milk to help with muscle recovery, but I wanted something more beneficial. I appreciate all the help.
  • mselihar
    Options
    hey don't discount chocolate milk!

I am currently training for a marathon and down a 12oz glass as soon as I'm done my weekly long run. Nutritionists swear by it!
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like EAS Lean 15 protein powders. They taste really good mixed into coffee or with milk. They even taste good with water. You just have to find which one works for you. Chocolate Fudge is my favorite flavor of the EAS Lean 15's.

I also like Garden of Life Chai Spice, but it's a bit spendy and doesn't last as long as my EAS.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is what I use for recovery as well actually. The protein shake I just use as a protein supplement.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that Cellucor comes out with I love. Right now I rotate my morning shakes between the Mint Chocolate Chip, S'mores, Cinnamon Swirl, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Marshmallow. Then I love their cake batter flavor's for making protein pancakes and mixing into my oats (Cor-fetti and Red Velvet Cake Batter flavors, yum!).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Whey protein is the best for muscle repair. Period.
    Why is whey better than casein for muscle repair? I get the different digestion/absorption rates, but that seems situational. Whey would be better for pre- and post-workout use, but why is it better overall?
  • betharina25
    betharina25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Advocare shakes they are Whey protien and are balanced with protien and carbs, they are amazing love the chocolate mocha
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just be careful that the amount of calories you burn is not more than the food that you eat otherwise your bodys muscle tone will be heavier than your fat loss and you will not lose weight. If your exercise routine consists of 800 calories per day, then you need to eat 800 calories to make up for it or else your body will not do what you want it to do. Hence the term Balanced Diet.:wink:
  • madbrainDotCom
    madbrainDotCom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Check out Designer whey chocolate
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb protein powders. It's the only one with no carbs so you are getting just protein. I like to blend it with frozen fruit to add in a whole source of carbs.
  • mselihar
    Options

Why is whey better than casein for muscle repair? I get the different digestion/absorption rates, but that seems situational. Whey would be better for pre- and post-workout use, but why is it better overall?

Hey there. It's not situational. To begin the muscle repair process quickly you need a fast absorption rate. The longer you wait the slower your muscle repair will be. Don't take whey pre workout. Take it post, preferably within 30 minutes - although there is currently some debate about the need to take whey so soon after a workout. The same studies show no negative consequences of taking it within 30 but they also show you might be able to derive the same benefit by waiting a bit longer.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Hey there. It's not situational. To begin the muscle repair process quickly you need a fast absorption rate. The longer you wait the slower your muscle repair will be. Don't take whey pre workout. Take it post, preferably within 30 minutes - although there is currently some debate about the need to take whey so soon after a workout. The same studies show no negative consequences of taking it within 30 but they also show you might be able to derive the same benefit by waiting a bit longer.
    What does casein do?
  • mselihar
    Options
    Breaks down slowly and promotes a sustained anti-catabolic environment while you sleep.

Ideally you want to use both - whey immediately following workouts, casein at night to promote sustained recover and appetite control. If you were to use only one, whey is the most impactful on muscle recovery.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=787
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Breaks down slowly and promotes a sustained anti-catabolic environment while you sleep.

Ideally you want to use both - whey immediately following workouts, casein at night to promote sustained recover and appetite control. If you were to use only one, whey is the most impactful on muscle recovery.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=787
    That's why I said it seemed to me to be situational. They both have their place.

ETA: Thanks for the info. I'm mainly just trying to make sure I didn't misunderstand the uses for both and that I'm not doing something stupid.