Meal Replacement Shakes instead of breakfast?

Options
Hi there! I'm new around here, and I think I've run into my first hurdle in losing weight: Breakfast! I'm not much of a breakfast person, nothing really appeals to me first thing in the morning. So, I figured I could try a weight loss drink or nutrition drink instead.

I seem to have run into a lot of names! Boost, Ensure, Special K, SlimFast, Equate (the Walmart brand comparable to Slimfast) Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems to me that if they don't have 22 grams of sugar (yikes!), they are saturated with chemicals and names I can't even pronounce (more than slightly off putting) Your advice and input is appreciated! :)Have a great day!

Replies

• sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat breakfast in order to lose weight! This is a common misconception. It is your total calorie intake over the day (and thus the resulting deficit) that matters. If you would rather save those calories for solid food later on in the day then go for it! :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein (23g protein for 110 calories). I will sip that throughout the morning and usually have a bowl of fiberone cereal with almond milk (both for like 90 cal and tons of fiber which keeps you from being hungry) or I will have Light and Fit Greek by Dannon at 80 cal and 12g of protein. Its good to eat a little something even if you don't feel like it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat breakfast in order to lose weight! This is a common misconception. It is your total calorie intake over the day (and thus the resulting deficit) that matters.

I agree - Eat when you're hungry.

Then again, if you're not hungry within a couple hours of waking up, you might not be doing enough exercise (weights + cardio).
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat breakfast in order to lose weight! This is a common misconception. It is your total calorie intake over the day (and thus the resulting deficit) that matters. If you would rather save those calories for solid food later on in the day then go for it! :)

This is true but establishing a routine is important, so whatever you do stick with it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

I agree (and so does science). Overall caloric intake is what matters, not any specific meal timing. Just manage your intake over the course of the day and make sure you're not mindlessly snacking later in the morning.

Figure out when you get hungry and eat according to what you body wants - it'll make sticking to your numbers a lot easier.
  • Morikahjo
    Morikahjo Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you guys! I guess it makes more sense to eat when I'm hungry instead of trying to choke down a bunch of chemicals- or some over sugary substitute! I will take your advice!
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options

This is true but establishing a routine is important, so whatever you do stick with it.

I'll not tell that you need to eat breakfast to lose weight. Its not a must thing but to jump start your metabolism its a great way for sure.

Breakfast means break the fast . So after 7-8 hours of fasting you should have something. It will definitely help you to lose weight more. And you can replace with a protein shake if you want. But don's miss it.

Its true that the total calorie intake is the main thing but its about some good habits and health too. Best of luck.
  • danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology most mornings in order to eat something. I truly believe a shake is not necessary. I use one out of convenience and to help me have something healthier than mcdonalds or subway on the road. I'm an auditor and I'm on the road a lot.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat what's sustainable for you- I am exceptionally hungry at night- so I eat more then...which means I skip breakfast- a lot.

Totally normal.

Hit macros- stay in a deficit and go ham.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    There's nothing out there that makes me believe you HAVE to eat breakfast. If you're not hungry, don't eat.

I consider breakfast to be the first meal I eat rather than a time-frame I have to adhere to.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of confusion on whether you should eat breakfast or not. In the grand scheme of things, burning more calories than you take in is the more important thing. However, even though there is no causal relationship between weight loss and eating breakfast, there is a high correlation between weight loss (and keeping it off) and eating breakfast. It doesn't need to be elaborate, either.

Personally, I love Herbalife. You'll need to find a local representative, though, since they don't sell their products through retailers. Also, an Herbalife coach can help quite a bit with in-person one-on-one service.
  • tristatepets
    tristatepets Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet and drink EAS Advantage Carb Control shakes. I like the French Vanilla - they also have chocolate and strawberry. At WM, they are $5 for a 4 pack, but if you google EAS coupons, their site has $2 off coupons for these. You can print as many as you want.

These have:
    100 calories
    2.5g fat
    2 carbs
    0 Sugar
    17g protein

My food program is monitored through Medithin in Janesville, WI. I had lost 7.8 lbs at my first weigh-in this week! (Started last week)

And you should have something -- you want your blood sugar stable.
  • pinkgirlzoe
    pinkgirlzoe Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i use the juice plus shakes for many health benfits.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I guess it makes more sense to eat when I'm hungry instead of trying to choke down a bunch of chemicals- or some over sugary substitute! I will take your advice!

chemicals. lol
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i use the juice plus shakes for many health benfits.

such as...??