Starving...

Options
NinaSharp
NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
I wasn't quite sure what forum this goes under so I picked this one. I have noticed that in the middle of the night, I wake up starving. I don't understand it at all. I eat about 1500-1800 calories a day. I'm never starved during the day. My foods tend to keep me full until meal time. I work out about 5 days a week; strength training and walking. It's strange, because after my last meal of the day, I'm full. Not over full, but happy. I am not in the kitchen looking for things to eat, but satiated. Then I go to bed around 9 and usually about 1 in the morning, I'll roll over and and bam! Extreme hunger pangs. What gives? My diary is open so feel free to take a look. Wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I would experiement with calorie intake during dinner.
    How bad are the hunger pains?
    Does water cure these pains?
    Do you eat overnight or laid in pain for the rest of the night?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It may be thirst. I usually drink a big cup of herbal tea before I go to sleep. If I miss it I sometimes wake up feeling hungry. I can usually just have a glass of water and go back to sleep.
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    im starving right now... ):
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would experiement with calorie intake during dinner.
    How bad are the hunger pains?
    Does water cure these pains?
    Do you eat overnight or laid in pain for the rest of the night?

I usually don't get up and get something but they are pretty bad. ( I don't get up because I have issues sleeping sometimes and I really don't want to be awake at 1 in the morning). Like if it were day time, I would be in the kitchen cooking all the food I could lay my hands on. I eat usually around 6 or 7 and then hit bed about 9.
  • danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to eat something with protein before bed. My trainer recommended cottage cheese (gross) but I try to eat something about 9pm. I'm also a night exerciser, so that may be why he recommended eating later.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This has actually happened to me the past couple of nights and also in the mornings when I wake up. I haven't been drinking as much water lately so I'm thinking that may be my issue (only b/c I got a decent amount yesterday and woke up w/o any problems this morning). I would try what another person said and drink some tea or a glass of water before bed. Maybe experimenting with more fibrous and protein rich foods for dinner may help, or even some fattier foods to make you feel fuller, if you're calories allow it for the day.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ^slow digesting protein source.

Casein protein shakes can be quickly downed, pre-bed and will keep you satiated whilst you sleep (if you don't fancy eating actual food)
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Drink more water throughout the day and especially before bed. You're probably just thirsty but your body can't tell the difference
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    what about a big glass of water and a snack before bed like a boiled egg on toast or something?
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cottage cheese. It is hard for your body to break down. I also have what I call "chocolate milk" sometimes before I go to sleep. It's Walden Farms chocolate sauce (no calories or carbs) and unsweetened almond milk. I also sleep with my water bottle on my nightstand. So there are times when I roll over in the middle of the night and take a big drink due to hunger pains. Hope this helps!!!! Good luck!
  • cynthia_h
    cynthia_h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Water and protein, a serving of almonds (1 oz)... But water is the first thing to try. as said before you may actually be thirsty.