Recipes to eat with the family?

Options
Hi there, I am the only one in the house right now that is dieting. My step-daughter comes to stay with us on the weekend and so I'm looking for some heathly meals that are more "normal" for the whole family to eat so that I'm not eating every meal alone. Thanks!

Replies

• lisamaria63
    Options
    Interested in seeing the replies. Great question!
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Depending on whether they are picky eaters, try making a lasagna with ground turkey and/or ground chicken and use a fiber infused pasta. This way you will have meal that is lower in fat and higher in fiber. You add a garden salad as a side dish this way everybody is also getting the veggies. As for a recipe, follow your usual lasagna recipe but replace the meat with ground chicken/turkey and use low fat cheese. Hope this helps.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I cook most of the meals so everyone has to eat what make or starve! For busy weeknights, chicken is the norm. Sometimes I marinate it in low cal italian dressing & grill it on the foreman grill. I have a rice cooker so I make brown rice and save the extra for the next night. Then I make some frozen veggies or side salad. Chicken tortilla soup is quick and easy and yummy. Chicken stir-fry is also quick and I use the frozen veggie stir-fry mix for that. I made a baked chicken parm from a recipe I found on here that the family loved! Also, whatever you are making for dinner should be what everyone eats. At least that's my feeling. I don't think it would be fair if you were having a chicken salad while everyone else had pizza. not cool... Also, check out HungrGirl.com she has tons of recipes for low cal foods like buffalo chicken, onion rings, etc.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    A lot of it depends on what is "normal" for your family.
    Stir fry can be a very low cal meal as well as grilled chicken breast with vegetables or a nice salad with shrimp or tuna mixed in for protien and the dressing on the side. See if there is a way to turn your "normal" meals healthy.
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are great, fresh veggies and a meat of your choice. Just make sure you stick to the serving size.

This hit home for me because I literally just ate this meal!
    I had a delicious baked potato-110 cal
    1tsp of smart balance-26cal
    1/2 tbsp of sour cream-15 cal
    1 cup of fresh green beans-27 cal
    5oz of pot roat w/gravy-199 cal
    The food was delicious & I'm full :-)
    The entire meal was only 377 calories!
  • jam1489
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your help! I'm excited to check out hungrgirl.com! It's nice to know that a good homemade meal doesn't have to be high in calories!!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love this website: http://www.skinnytaste.com/. She has tons of healthy ways of making some great dishes, and they all taste GREAT! If you read some of her comments included with the recipes you'll see that she is making these recipes for her husband and kids. I'm cooking for a non-dieting boyfriend who doesn't care what's going into a dish as long as it tastes good, so I understand how it can be hard to please everyone.

Check it out!
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My whole family is on a "diet" but doesn't know it :blushing:

This week, I made turkey meatloaf, baked mac and cheese (with spinach, and pretty low cal), cauliflower crust pizza, breakfast for dinner (turkey sausage, hungry girl cheesy breakfast tartlets), chicago style hot dogs (with fat free all beef franks)

Next week, I am planning turkey chili.

If you season things right, and don't overcook ground turkey, it tastes a lot like beef (think, turkey meatloaf, turkey burgers)
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They eat what I make and buy lol. Otherwise they go hungry!