Metabolic diet - insulin resistance

Options
Does anyone have any useful information on the Metabolic diet? I have become insulin resistant so I am trying to help my body with diet. I find it close to impossible to lose weight but so easy to gain. I also have hypoglycaemia so I need to eat every 2-3 hours otherwise I literally shake.

I am thinking of trying a LCHF diet.
Any useful information would be amazing and I would be grateful for, thankyou

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician is the best person to offer you advice, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician is the best person to offer you advice, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

True but I live in a rural town and she is booked for the next 4 months.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any useful information on the Metabolic diet? I have become insulin resistant so I am trying to help my body with diet. I find it close to impossible to lose weight but so easy to gain. I also have hypoglycaemia so I need to eat every 2-3 hours otherwise I literally shake.

Lol low blood sugar in insulin resistant - the body is a wonderful thing!

I had heard that paleo type diets and LCHF can be good for insulin resistence. I would see a doctor asap though :) good luck
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Right. This isn't a community forum where we talk about issues with dieting. Rough morning?

OP: I have IR and am on 1,000 mg of Metformin. My endo told me to try eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day and eat carbs/proteins on a 2:1 ratio. So for every meal if I have 10 grams of carbs, I should try to balance it will 5 grams of protein. I hope that helps.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

Right. This isn't a community forum where we talk about issues with dieting. Rough morning?

OP: I have IR and am on 1,000 mg of Metformin. My endo told me to try eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day and eat carbs/proteins on a 2:1 ratio. So for every meal if I have 10 grams of carbs, I should try to balance it will 5 grams of protein. I hope that helps.

Thank you for your great advice, I really grateful. I think I will give this a try. Sadly I am allergic to metformin :-(
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

I had heard that paleo type diets and LCHF can be good for insulin resistence. I would see a doctor asap though :) good luck

I read that too, I think I will try it. Thank you for your advice!!!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My sister did the metabolic diet with initially huge success. She needed to do a blood test and then got a list of things that she could or could not eat. She followed it rigorously and lost a lot of weight. Her allergies were gone and she felt superb.

After some time though she stopped following the regimen and gained her weight back. So it does work but you will have to change you eating habits forever or you gain back.

Stef.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

If we all did this then a lot of posts of here would cease to exist.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The PCOSis group has a fair number of people who are on LCHF diets; that might be a good place to ask, too. I have been moving in that direction myself but don't really have good advice to offer yet other than for your protein, aim for at least 1 gm protein per lb of lean body mass per day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I read that too, I think I will try it. Thank you for your advice!!!

Cut carbs a lot.
    Add some fats: sour cream, butter, bacon, nuts, . . . .
    Add some vegetables.
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look for the book "The Insulin Resistance Diet". The dietitians and physicians in the book explain that people with insulin resistance can't process carbohydrates the way that people without insulin resistance do. Whatever carbs your body does not use right away will be stored as fat (this is not supposed to be what happens!) so the way to counteract this is to slow how much your blood sugar rises by linking and balancing your carbohydrates with protein. According to the book you should eat frequently, but never have more than 30 carbs in a 2 hour window AND the carbs need to be balanced with protein in the following ratios: 15g carbs must be balanced with 7 g protein for a maximum of 30g carbs to 14 g protein in a 2 hr window. For example 1 slice of 15g carb bread, links and balances with 1 scrambled egg with 7g protein. You do not need to eat a very low carbohydrate diet, just make sure your foods are linked (meaning consumed at the same time) and balanced. When my weight loss slows or I inexplicably start gaining weight even though my calorie intake is within recommended ranges, I know that I have to start following this method. It is the ONLY thing that helps get the weight under control for me. When I weigh less, the insulin resistance goes away and then I can just follow a regular low cal diet with positive results. I have recently put on some weight and am going to go back to this diet. The best thing is that I never feel hungry when I follow this plan. I hope that this helps you! I am already feeling better after two days and have lost 2lbs (probably excess bloat, but hey...I'll take it!) Today I am going to be reading labels again and getting back on this program. It really works when you commit to it.
  • megawatt259
    megawatt259 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My health insurance actually paid for me to sit down with a dietitian, which was really helpful. Here was what I learned that I needed:
    Eat 5 meals a day (3 meals, 2 snacks), eat no more than 15g net carbs per meal (not required to eat any if I don't want to, but should eat some), should always eat protein at each meal/snack with a goal of 10g if possible (not always possible with snacks). My total calorie target is 1200-1500 calories per day. So far, I've felt great and lost about 15 lbs in about 2 months (before I started tracking again with MFP again). I'm just walking regularly for now for exercise, but might need to increase carbs and calories if I crank up intensity of workouts or type of activity.

I'm a carb lover and I've been doing this 'diet' for awhile now and have finally accepted that it's a way of life. I refuse to become diabetic if it's within my power. So, a work in progress... I know I feel better when I don't cheat, because I feel terrible for days and it takes days for me to regulate again. I also don't see the scale move for weeks and then it will just jump by a few pounds sometimes, so be patient. It's worth it to have energy again and start to see some results!
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! I have insulin resistance from PCOS. Been doing keto, or LCHF, for a while now with more success than ever before. I really recommend you read the following; feel free to send me any specific questions you may have!

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/

Excellent low carb blogs/recipes:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipe-index
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/
    http://ketodietapp.com/blog
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I did LCHF for years to help deal with my metabolic issues, including type II diabetes and PCOS. It really works. It was recommended to me by a registered dietician and approved by my endocrinologist.

One of the best books I ever read on the subject is Protein Power by Dr. Mike Eades. He also has a blog that is extremely good. Here is a link to an article he wrote about starting LCHF:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/

Mark Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint" is also super helpful. He also has a blog that I like:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Good luck :smile:
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant with low blood sugar also. I do what others have said with carbs and protein, but I would add that the choice of carbs is very important. I eat nothing 'white'. No potatoes, no white flour, no white pasta, no rice at all. No sugar. My weight loss is slow, but what I have lost is staying off over an 18 month period. I have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and put on medication. Hopefully that will help the scale budge.