Unconventional Exercise

2»

Replies

• SarErb
    SarErb Posts: 6 Member
    Sometimes my shopping trips (grocery, big box, LOTS of trips to home improvement stores) take an hour to an hour and a half, or MUCH LONGER if my husband is along. I do add those, but only add as a slow walk, since my normal activity is sitting in an office chair and puttering around the house after work. But if I am just running in and hitting the perimeter isles I don't log it. Before I really started working out, sometimes it was enough to tire me. So yeah, I do count it.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Unless you're doing squats with cases of water and lunges with milk jugs, no. If you are, we need proof!

I do that with water, milk, soda cases, and beer. Then again, I work in a grocery store and squatting is how we're supposed to lift those things (according to the safety videos). I don't count it as exercise, though, since it's my job.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I'm sorry, you're fooling yourself. Cleaning/shopping/etc are things we all did when we were overweight as much as we will do when we are fit.

I get about 5 miles of steps in a day (not all at once) so I don't log that. Unless, it is 2 hours straight...like I purposely went out for a walk/run.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    I have my calories set to "sedentary", so if i end up shopping for more than an hour, i count it. I log it as "walking, slow pace, 2 miles per hour".

That just seems crazy to me, no offense. Do you eat those calories back then?

i generally eat back half of to most of my calories. my calories are set to "sedentary", but i don't always remain so. I'd be under eating if i didn't log shopping trips or walks with the dog.

i only log these minor things if they last an hour or more. a 10 minute stroll doesn't count.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    You're fooling yourself!

It's just normal human activity, I'm afraid.

This. Anything that one does normally (shopping, cleaning, etc) is normal activity and not counted.
    If you were to do a heavy spring-clean (moving furniture, lifting rugs, etc)....something over and beyond the usual cleaning.....that may count a little bit (but I still don't count it).
  • Ldonahue921
    Ldonahue921 Posts: 75 Member
    Consensus seems to be don't count it. But...

Here's what I do. . I have desk/phone job so I don't get much movement during the day. I wear a pedometer (with ht & wt) all day and it tracks my errands, etc. At the end of the day I log my calorie burn as walking. slow or leisure pace. I don't eat back these calories. If I walked for 10-15 minutes on the track at lunch, I log that at the right pace. Don't eat them back.

Now, before or after work, if I hit the treadmill or go for a hike? THAT counts as exercise but I eat back only enough to keep my net calories at goal preferrably in the form of fruit or lean protein.

When you're trying to keep yourself motivated to keep moving, every little bit helps. Just don't use ordinary activity as a reason to eat more. Maybe pushing the cart up and down every isle once it is full (no stopping) for an hour? That might count as exercise, especially if its a big store. : ) Its good to be creative, but be realistic too.
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    I might not have explained my actual activity well enough. yes it was grocery shopping. However, I do bulk grocery shopping only every two weeks or so, so it is not a daily activity for me. I also have my activity level set at sedentary because I have a desk job, so I'm not sure what MFP calculates as normal daily activities for a sedentary person. Nevertheless, I had no intention of logging it or eating those calories back anyway. I was just wondering if things of this nature help in losing weight (when not eating calories back) in any significant way. Deep cleaning is done sporadically and not all at once (I mean who has that kind of time?) so cleaning and cooking is part of my daily routine. Does MFP already account for that for a sedentary activity level?
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    If you're walking, you're burning, so it's exercise in my opinion. I've lost all my weight so far by walking, and not at high speeds either. I would log it as walking at a slow pace, or leisurely pace to make up for pushing the heavy weight. You probably won't have burned very much, but it's still a burn. I was walking around today - mainly at a leisurely pace - for over 4 hours. I only burned 500 cals in that time because I wasn't going at a fast rate, but it counts as exercise as far as I'm concerned; I always register walking even if it's fairly slow, and I'm losing weight at the projected speed, even with eating back some of the cals.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    I might not have explained my actual activity well enough. yes it was grocery shopping. However, I do bulk grocery shopping only every two weeks or so, so it is not a daily activity for me. I also have my activity level set at sedentary because I have a desk job, so I'm not sure what MFP calculates as normal daily activities for a sedentary person. Nevertheless, I had no intention of logging it or eating those calories back anyway. I was just wondering if things of this nature help in losing weight (when not eating calories back) in any significant way. Deep cleaning is done sporadically and not all at once (I mean who has that kind of time?) so cleaning and cooking is part of my daily routine. Does MFP already account for that for a sedentary activity level?
    I think that the answer to your question is yes and no. MFP gives you an average. Even two people living very similar lives (working a sit down job, taking care of one child, living and taking care of the same size house) can have vastly different calorie burns. Both would considered themselves sedentary. One might figit at their desk all day, take the stairs as much as they can, constantly be cleaning things and making beds, and chase their child around the house. All normal for her. The other might sit still, use the elevator, keep the house clean but doesn't constantly work on it, and have a child that likes to read. This is also normal, but uses less calories. No one else can determine exactly what calories you need daily, just give you an idea. Also people metabolism really are different even if they do exactly the same things.

The idea with MFP is that you go with the initial suggestion, add on additional, not daily exercise, and just see what happens over a month or so. If you're not losing weight, or not as fast as predicted, then you probably need less calories than the MFP guess. If you're losing weight quicker than predicted then you probably need more. So adjust as you feel and then re-evaluate again.

As you lose weight, especially a lot, things are likely to change. You might feel more energetic and add more movement just normally to your life, and might not even notice it. That means you might need more calories. But, you will need less calories just because you weigh less and MFP will want you to adjust for that. Just keep adjusting. But don't worry about it daily. Watch what's happening. Keep track of how hungry you are. Relax and adjust every month, every few months, every 6 months, whatever. It all depends on how much your life and weight is changing.