Frustration starting to grow

Options
I'm just about to go into my fifth week of exercise and eating better. Been exercising pretty much daily , 1/2 hour to over an hour, with the odd day off. Not just light exercise but aerobic and weights using a variety of well established video's. Feeling great, lost a few inches here and there, bits starting to look a bit tighter here and there. fantastic right? Yes of course! But I've gained two pounds!! what gives? Last time I attempted to get fit I dropped about 5 pounds in the first two weeks! I am NOT hard-core dieting but I AM watching what I eat and have killed just about all the "bad" stuff (still use two raw sugar cubes in my tea daily but that's about it) I'm not looking to lose huge amounts right away, I know it doesn't happen that. I understand it takes time, yadda yadda, but I would have expected by the end of a full month to have lost a pound, at least, not gained two!

any insight?

Replies

• PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say that if you lost some inches, then you must be doing something correctly. Not sure why you gained a pound. Do you feel any differently in a months time?
  • kamazza
    kamazza Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Gained two pounds, not one *lol* I do yes, more energy, a bit more pep in the step so to speak. I do feel stronger during the work-outs as well and my husband has told me my butt is like "Steel" now *lol*
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale if you are seeing inches drop. There are dozens of things that can affect the scale weight: salt, lack of sleep, dehydration, large dinner, exercise, Aunt Flow, water retention...and the list goes on. The scale rarely stays still mine goes up and down from day to day. I only track the lows.

**Edited because apparently I cannot spell salt!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Well, if you aren't really eating at a deficit and may be closer to maintenance then you may have actually gained some muscle but lost the fat hence the loss of inches.

Or, it could be just bloating. How's your sodium intake?

However, overall if you are losing inches and your body is changing you are on the right track and I wouldn't be concerned about the scale #.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The biggest thing you should focus on is losing the inches and looking better.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is well-within the range of water weight from a new exercise program or hormones, stress, sodium, etc. It could be nothing to worry about.

It might be helpful to open your diary if you want specific advice. Weight loss is a lot more about how much you're eating than how much you're exercising. Cutting foods out is fine, but if you're still eating at or above maintenance you won't see a drop on the scale.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • shadyj26
    shadyj26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Your are lifting weights so you are going to gain some muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat. With that being said muscle weighs more. You are headed in the right direction so don't worry about the scale.
  • kamazza
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The biggest thing you should focus on is losing the inches and looking better.

No, a pound is a pound. A ton of bricks does not weigh more then a ton of feathers. a ton of bricks just takes up a lot less space :) Kinda like muscles take up less space then fats :)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    a 2lb variation is not a big deal, depending on when you weigh yourself, what you were doing/eating, cycle time, there are so many variances that can affect your body when you step on a scale.

Most people say to be as consistent as possible, weight your self at the same time of day, same conditions, etc

Generally the morning is when you are lightest

I have tracked my weight through the day and it just goes up as much as 4-5lbs as the day goes on - retaining water etc does happen due to sodium, food, etc. And during the TOM, bloating had me up by about 8lbs that week

I would take the lost inches as a positive sign and don't sweat the 2lbs scale reading
  • diannethegeek
    Options

No, a pound is a pound. A ton of bricks does not weigh more then a ton of feathers. a ton of bricks just takes up a lot less space :) Kinda like muscles take up less space then fats :)

And an inch is an inch so muscle can't take up less space than fat. Unless we're keeping all other variables equal. In which case one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. Kind of like how one cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat.

The important thing, though, is that you didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle in a month while eating at a deficit.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to go into my fifth week of exercise and eating better. Been exercising pretty much daily , 1/2 hour to over an hour, with the odd day off. Not just light exercise but aerobic and weights using a variety of well established video's. Feeling great, lost a few inches here and there, bits starting to look a bit tighter here and there. fantastic right? Yes of course! But I've gained two pounds!! what gives? Last time I attempted to get fit I dropped about 5 pounds in the first two weeks! I am NOT hard-core dieting but I AM watching what I eat and have killed just about all the "bad" stuff (still use two raw sugar cubes in my tea daily but that's about it) I'm not looking to lose huge amounts right away, I know it doesn't happen that. I understand it takes time, yadda yadda, but I would have expected by the end of a full month to have lost a pound, at least, not gained two!

any insight?

"eating better" doesn't mean you're eating less calories than you burn, which is all that matters when it comes to weight loss.

Weigh and measure everything you eat. Log everything. Don't over estimate your exercise calories. Don't assume that you will just lose weight because you aren't eating "junk" food.
  • kamazza
    Options

And an inch is an inch so muscle can't take up less space than fat. Unless we're keeping all other variables equal. In which case one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. Kind of like how one cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat.

The important thing, though, is that you didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle in a month while eating at a deficit.

With all due respect, this is a big question between the whole weight-watching world, do you have proof you can show me that a pound of muscle weighs more then a pound of fat? If I can read/see/hear it I will believe it *lol*

I appreciate , truly, all the advice. I will ahve to start logging my intakes and outtakes better as I have been slack in that. I do use measurements when serving, etc. I rarely eye-ball it as I know I am not accurate that way. ALso, I use a smaller plate which helps a lot :) I have found myself oddly more hungry now then before exercising. I'll keep doing what I"m doing.Inches are great so I can't really complain I guess :)
  • diannethegeek
    Options

With all due respect, this is a big question between the whole weight-watching world, do you have proof you can show me that a pound of muscle weighs more then a pound of fat? If I can read/see/hear it I will believe it *lol*

I appreciate , truly, all the advice. I will ahve to start logging my intakes and outtakes better as I have been slack in that. I do use measurements when serving, etc. I rarely eye-ball it as I know I am not accurate that way. ALso, I use a smaller plate which helps a lot :) I have found myself oddly more hungry now then before exercising. I'll keep doing what I"m doing.Inches are great so I can't really complain I guess :)

I think you'll find that you're the only person in this thread who's made the assertion that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.
  • suretalken
    suretalken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break. You're giving yourself too much criticism. We all have expectations, and when it doesn't happen the way we think it should, we start getting mad at ourselves. Just do what you agrees with yourself to, and praise any success, big or small, that you accomplish. Yes, you gain muscle, which weighs more pounds than fat, but no-one knows the precise amount, because every body is different. So love yourself and your intentions and drop the punishing attitude. Reward yourself for what you accomplished.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Density and volume are inherent in the way we conceptualize how much something weighs. If you said lead weighs the same as air, people would like at you like you were nuts.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you've been eating right and exercising, odds are that the 2lbs you gained are either A.) Muscle, or B.) Water weight. Give it some time before getting frustrated :) It will eventually go down. You're clearly doing something right and just keep at it! Stress is no good c:
  • kamazza
    Options

I think you'll find that you're the only person in this thread who's made the assertion that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Actually, I believe that a pound weighs the same as a pound *lol* So there fore I've made no statement that a pound of muscles weighs more then a pound of fat, because a pound is a pound is a pound. What I was trying to say was that I've been taught that muscle takes up less space in the body then lumpy, fluffy fat. I find it frustrating that folks say a pound of one thing can weigh more then a pound of something else (Volume and mass aside here of course) because that is impossible. Now if a square inch of muscle weighs more then a square inch of fat? well I've not seen or read anything to back that up, and I am looking as I type because I am curious and I'm trying to learn. I am not trying to obstinate or obnoxious in the least. :D
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is well-within the range of water weight from a new exercise program or hormones, stress, sodium, etc. It could be nothing to worry about.

It might be helpful to open your diary if you want specific advice. Weight loss is a lot more about how much you're eating than how much you're exercising. Cutting foods out is fine, but if you're still eating at or above maintenance you won't see a drop on the scale.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

^^^ all of this!!
  • kamazza
    Options

AFter doing some reading, the correct way to say the statement would be "Muscle weighs more, by volume, then fat" NOT "muscle weighs more then fat" which is very misleading. I understand now how it weighs more, by volume, but when reading the statement as is previously it did not make sense to my poor abused brain. :D
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Actually, I believe that a pound weighs the same as a pound *lol* So there fore I've made no statement that a pound of muscles weighs more then a pound of fat, because a pound is a pound is a pound. What I was trying to say was that I've been taught that muscle takes up less space in the body then lumpy, fluffy fat. I find it frustrating that folks say a pound of one thing can weigh more then a pound of something else (Volume and mass aside here of course) because that is impossible. Now if a square inch of muscle weighs more then a square inch of fat? well I've not seen or read anything to back that up, and I am looking as I type because I am curious and I'm trying to learn. I am not trying to obstinate or obnoxious in the least. :D

Except that no one has said that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat! I believe that a pound is a pound as well and I've never stated otherwise.

The phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" assumes that we're comparing equal volumes. Also, equal gravities, but I note that no one ever responds with "not if one of them is on the moon!" Because that's how comparisons work. If you're going to compare two things you need to keep all other variables as equal as possible.

When you try to assert that muscle can't weigh more than fat because a pound is a pound, but then go on to say that muscle takes up less space than fat, you're also assuming that you're comparing equal amounts of muscle and fat - in this case equal weights. But an inch is an inch, so how can one take up less space (using your already stated logic that a pound is a pound).

Now, it's going to be more accurate to say that muscle is denser than fat, but that doesn't make the statement that muscle weighs more than fat automatically wrong.