Exercising too much?

Options
Hi all,

I have just started my MFP journey and have been on slimming world for 5 weeks and lost a stone. We bought an exercise bike last week and I was on it every day, doing a little more each time than the previous day.

However, at my weigh in, I hadn't lost as much as I did the previous week when I didn't have the bike. Someone said my body had probably gone into "Shock mode" holding what I was trying to work off because I was doing too much exercise compared to what I did before. Or that I wasn't eating enough to compensate for the new amount of exercise I am doing.

At a hefty 18st 9, I just expected the increased exercise would burn my inches of fat that I have stored, and that the food I was eating would be enough.

Please see my profile daily diary if it helps.
Am I doing it wrong?

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You still lost, though? Well done, you!

Weight loss isn't a linear process, and it's quite common for it to fluctuate from week to week so don't feel disheartened. You're doing fine - just keep on keeping on!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree, a loss is a loss you can't expect it to be big numbers every week. Plus your leg muscles will be growing with all that cycling so you will have some water weight there plus muscle weight to factor in.

Well done on your hard work and loss so far though!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed to us, but that's okay. You just started a new exercise routine this week. Likely (most definitely), your body is retaining water (which is good, muscle repair and all that). Excellent that you did lose weight still. It's not muscle building, it's not the "body hanging on to fat" or any of those well-meant, but false, statements.

Keep it up, you're losing weight and fat! Some weeks will be less than others. It's the overall trend (hopefully downward) that counts.:flowerforyou:
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great way to aide you in weight loss, but remember that you can lose weight on diet alone remember that.

If you can workout 5 days a week then power to you, just make sure you don't over do it and hurt yourself. Also if you start heavy lifting make sure you give your muscles 48 hours to recover. Any less than that and you won't be allowing sufficient time for healing and recovery and risk injury. Cardio you can do everyday, just listen to your body and don't over do it. Sometimes I need to take a couple days off even from cardio because my legs will be super tired.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You just started a new exercise regime so your leg muscles could be retaining some water, hence you seeing less drop in scale weight. This does not mean you are not sill losing fat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You just started a new exercise regime so your leg muscles could be retaining some water, hence you seeing less drop in scale weight. This does not mean you are not sill losing fat.

DITTO this - keep up the good work
  • KittySid85
    Options
    Hi, thanks for all your replies. I think I understand a bit better now. I'm such a newbie at all this being my first time attempting weight loss.

Don't get me wrong, I was still very pleased to see the 2lb coming off :-)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that when people first start trying to lose weight, they generally make a lot of big changes in the beginning. They start exercising, changing their diets to include less processed foods and sodium, etc. Often times people will see a large loss in the beginning, but a lot of it is water weight due to dietary changes. I