weight loss whilst struggling with anxiety

Options
hi, recently rejoined mfp. im in my 40's and currently on sick leave following carpal tunnel surgery. im desperately in need of losing weight. im a comfort eater, so really struggle to stay on track when troubles and stresses visit. could do with some friendly voices on here for support. my friend has abandoned my in favour of a different diet.

Replies

• TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! You are in a great place to find some support and friendly faces. I am in my 40's and also deal with anxiety issues so food is my 'comfort' too. I have been on MFP almost 2 months now and I have lost about 25lbs. Please feel free to friend me. I am online everyday and track consistently.
  • karen46mfp
    karen46mfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi, thanks for your reply. wow fantastic weight loss. congratulations and i will add you. thanks again.
    Karen
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your CT, ouch. :-( I've suffered social anxiety most of my life and it has kept me at home an awful lot, meaning going out to exercise has never been high on my priority list, I pretty much never go out alone - combined with all the comfort eating I do, before long I had reached a weight I wasn't comfortable with. I could never stick to a diet either, I just craved my usual comfort food all the time until it was all I could think about, and I'd totally relapse, which in turn would make me feel even worse.

I've been on mfp for 2 months and lost 14lbs (about 3lbs of that was just water weight in the first week, but still.) Logging all my calories and knowing how many calories I should eat each day has been incredibly helpful, and it's the first time that I've ever seen results. I'm feeling less pressured about it too, and knowing I can have the treats I like within my calorie goal means I'm not constantly thinking about trying to 'be good'. This site has been wonderful for me. You can manage too! Don't deprive yourself of your comfort foods as it will only make things ten times harder, just learn to moderate and have them within your calorie limit. Feel free to add me too, my diary is open and I log every day.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great posts ladies and I know all too well about anxiety. I'm OCD and it's a part of my life. Let's support each other day by day....that's what works for me -- making each day a separate goal. Looking ahead gives me anxiety and I heard an awesome quote about looking back......don't look back, you're not going that way!
  • redhoney500
    Options
    Hi, I'm Grace. I'm new to MFP and am coping with high anxiety, usually with food. My husband is a disabled vet with injuries and PTSD. Life can be a roller coaster ride.
  • karen46mfp
    karen46mfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies. together im sure we can succeed x
  • Karenmm1960
    Karenmm1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have always struggled with my weight. I am very much an emotional eater. My husband is also a disabled vet and suffers from PTSD and severe chronic depression. My husband has had weight loss surgery and the added stress to be supportive is almost too much some days. I have been on MFP for two years and have maintained a weight loss of 14lbs. Need to lose more and just take it one day at a time.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety problems too, and I comfort eat. I've lost weight slowly and I've got quite a ways to go. However, slow progress is better than none. Sometimes I let the anxious feelings fool me into thinking I have to go at warp speed to achieve anything, and then I realize I can't do that and get more anxious. Slow and steady seems to be the way to go.

Feel free to add me! Best of luck to you!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can empathise with what you say OP! I'm an emotional eater and I'm in the middle of a messy divorce, selling my beloved dream farm.and recovering from gall bladder surgery. I'm doing the 5:2/ADF diet... and it's working! I'm only 5 weeks in so there's going to be speed bumps along the way and I too could do with the support so Friend me :-).