Sugar cravings - how do you cope?

Options

Replies

• InaraReynolds
    InaraReynolds Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try not keeping it in my home, which is tricky with an 8 year old. :) In the past, he would ask for cookies and milk and I'd have to tell him we were out - talk about an evil glare! "But mom, I only had 4 cookies from the new bag and that was days ago. Did you eat them ALL?!?!?" Cookies and cakes are my downfall. But since I've been tracking calories, I find them easier to skip since even one really tasty cookie is crazy high in calories. If I do end up eating something that puts my numbers over, I make an effort to increase what I burn that day. No guilt if you work it off same day!

What helps keep the craving to a minimum for me is giving in with a glass of low-fat chocolate milk once in a while.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i have chocolate and ice cream every. single. day.
    i just make sure they fit into my cals/macros.

i would not do well at all if i had to cut these out, and really there's no need to cut them out, as long as you can control yourself.

every day i take a bag of almonds and dark cocoa chocolate chips to work - i weigh out 12 grams of almonds and 7 grams of chocolate chips. the total cals comes to 107 and i'm having just enough that i'm satisfied.

my every day ice cream is really just an ice cream pop - vanilla ice cream covered with popsicle - 60 cals

but every saturday i allow myself a big ice cream treat - i'll go to my local ice cream parlor and get a mixture of soft serve chocolate mixed with brownies and cookie dough - it's about 2 cups worth

by having these treats every day, i am staying satisfied.

and hey, my weight loss ticker is moving....slowly, but it's moving. and really i'm not looking for quick weight loss or even a specific number on the scale, i'm looking for a healthy bf% and still be able to eat all the things i enjoy

this may work for you too

:o)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I cope like a heavy smoker deals with quitting cigarettes- I don't even think about moderation. I get sugar from fruit, including some dried fruit, and vegetables and such, but that's it. Not everyone has to go that far, though. You might be able to work some sweets in now and then.
  • Deborah271
    Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Kelseyhere, I try and avoid sugar like the plaque because I believe it's very addictive to some people, not everyone. My husband can enjoy something sweet and he moves on, me no way, I want to eat it until it's all gone. If I'm really craving something sweet, I'll bake it myself so that I know what is in it or i'll have a rice cake with peanut butter and organic jam or i'll have a rice cake with cream cheese and jam, works for me, all the best for you.
  • chinook44
    chinook44 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me during the day are "Ice Breakers Sours" candies - They are zero calories, but give me enough of an immediate "tang" that I can savour so I am not craving sweets. They have been a lifesaver! I have a container of them on my desk, in my car, and at home! lol
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I bought myself some "healthy alternatives" in the form of Fiber One brownies and Healthy Choice fudgesicles, but at the end of the day I think those just encourage the cravings.

Yes, there is science confirming this. At least for some of us (including, obviously, you and me), sweet flavors lead us to want more sweets. One of the ways I got off the sweets wagon was to stop putting sweeteners in my coffee and generally avoiding sweet things. We don't eat much packaged food and avoid any with hidden sugars. For instance, we look for peanut butter which only includes peanuts and salt as ingredients. Most of the time, when I make homemade bread, I don't put any sugar in it.

Now, about the only sweet things I eat regularly are fruit and an occasional bit of honey or pickles. I find that control over the sweets that I developed a year ago when I lost a bunch of weight even stuck around when I fell off the portion control wagon and retrieved those same accursed pounds! It takes awhile -- several weeks -- to fully adapt -- but it's definitely worth it.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    FYI - getting over your habit is a process that can take time so be ready to slowly get better at it.

These are also helpful ideas:

1. I don't keep trigger foods in the house but enjoy a serving when I feel like it (at gatherings or out and about).
    2. If I feel like I'm slipping up, I take a moment to analyze what happened and think of ways I can avoid this pitfall in the future.
    3. I eat very satisfying foods all over and fruit too so I am not too hungry. The sugar in the fruit helps a lot to reduce sugar cravings (for me, personally)
    4. When you feel stronger near foods you love, slowly bring them back in to your house, and eat them responsibly. I am a cookie monster but we started buying expensive artisan brands with like 8 cookies that are each around 100 cals so I never wolf them down because I want them to last the whole week, and I take my sweet time with each cookie.
  • MamaPirate
    Options
    I'm glad you got some helpful feedback :) I understand the part about your husband being gone so it feels like your more likely to go out of control. I believe having an accountability partner is huge and if it's your husband continue with that. Allow him access to your food and exercise diary. I am much better off because my husband and 2 grown sons can see my exercise portion...only my nutritionist gets to see my food diary. I am suggesting this on the assumption that your husband is an encourager not a berater. I am horrible about becoming obsessed with a food I know is in the house. I have a bag of hershey kisses and allow myself 3 a day (I am diabetic) but I have them in a place that is a pain the *kitten* to get to, I have to realllly want them. I have a friend that has 3 pieces of dark chocolate at lunch every day and that's it. I also think you should definitely log that weight, it will serve as a motivator and reminder in the future ;) Good luck!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with sugar, usually crave it at night. However, I just found out I have type II diabetes so I need to watch my sugar intake.

I have cut out all processed sugar, and eat only natural sugar (ie fruits-not tropical fruits). Cravings have now gone away after a week, and no more nighttime snacking.

Hope this helps!!
  • Dawn5202
    Dawn5202 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am about 8 weeks in myself. I have more problems with salty snacks but do like sweets. My biggest tip - Love yourself enough to say no! That being said, I agree with a post below to get pre-packaged small goodies and you get that small bag. They have small bags ofskinny cow cookies and such and just make it work in your calorie goals. I also know how you feel about being told that you aren't attractive any more and I know that I ate to cover up those hurt feelings, which is crazy because then you gain more weight! Just keep going, keep believing in yourself and keep up the good work! Hang in there!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I saw this quote on another post the day i signed up. I copied it and it does seems to help me fight the cravings:
    "The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now." Zig Ziglar
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have a giant 5 lb bag of trolli sour gummy worms in my desk drawer right now and I typically have about 6 pieces per day and I'm still losing weight.

Trolli - Sour Gummy Worms Five Pound Bag, 6 worms is about 60 calories and 13 grams of sugar.

You can have sugar and still lose weight, it's all about calories in and calories out. There are people here that prefer low sugar diets and are losing weight but that's because they are eating at a calorie deficit, sugar itself is not the enemy.
  • tigerseye402
    Options
    I struggle with sugar cravings quite a bit, too. I just started coming to this site again because I've been having health issues which are likely exacerbated by my diet.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to limit my sugar intake in the past, but I'm determined to actually do it this time. Like you, I tend to eat when I am bored. I also am in the habit of wanting dessert after dinner every night. The meal just doesn't feel complete without something sweet at the end. One thing that has helped me a lot this time around has been sugar free gum. I buy this peppermint flavored xylitol* gum that tastes just like a peppermint candy. I chew a piece after dinner and whenever I feel like having a snack out of boredom, and it seems to be helping so far. I even passed up free cookies at work yesterday.

Good luck!
    (*Just a note, xylitol is apparently toxic to cats and dogs)
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Oh... I was the queen of baking. People far and wide know my cookies, they are extraordinary!

Then the first week of this journey, I didn't eat any sugar. Triumph. Then the family decided to go to our favorite artisnal ice cream place. "What am I going to do?" -- all I could think on the way there. Answer? Smallest portion and savor it. I decided that I would work it in. When I had to. Because I wanted to live a good life, a life with ice cream.

Since then, a few things have helped...

In a situation where I would have reached for a cookie (or a cookie recipe, let's be real, I ate most of what I baked)... I reached for an apple. I ate a ton of apples month one.

I brushed my teeth - because you can't eat sugar with a clean mouth -- or when I was out and about, a Lifesavers wintergreen mint did the trick (which I know, they contain sugar... but who pigs out on mints?).

Then, the best trick? I became a sugar SNOB. Only those sweet treats worthy of the work it would take them off made it past my lips. In fact, 2 weekends ago, I ate 3 bites of coconut cream pie (my most FAVORITE of all desserts) and pushed the rest of that pathetic excuse for pie AWAY. This is saving my calorie plan big time.

Best of luck to you!

PS -- I still plan on baking... when I need to take cookies somewhere!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned the Sugar Smart Diet and I just wanted to second that. It's not about going on a "diet", by the way. It explains why so many of us are addicted to sugar and does give you a 4 week eating plan to retrain your brain if you want to go that route. There is SO MUCH sugar in processed foods now, even ones that aren't sweet. Every hit of processed sugar spikes your insulin and leaves you craving more.

I also just finished reading a great book that my boss gave all of the supervisors- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. It explains how our habits are formed in the first place and how to find the best way to change your bad habits. I learned a lot from it.

I think others have already given you some great advice as far as binge & emotional eating. Good luck to you! It will be hard work but it will be totally worth it!
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Pepsi max curbs my cravings
  • shaleena007
    Options
    This is great advice will defianently try this out. Never would have thought of analyzing my day to see what could have triggered the craving.
  • breakonthrough65
    breakonthrough65 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can have sugar and still lose weight, it's all about calories in and calories out. There are people here that prefer low sugar diets and are losing weight but that's because they are eating at a calorie deficit, sugar itself is not the enemy.

Yes it's calories in and calories out, but a high sugar meal is far more likely to leave you hungry shortly after.
    So it's harder to stay within range eating lots of sugar, as it is harder to stay full.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb for like maybe 2 months.. before that i was just low fat, low calorie and always with so many cravings and STARVING.. got TIRED OF IT and in looking for ways to curb appetite i found LOW CARB and some Healthy FAT.... I mainly changed because i heard it will make you LESS HUNGRY and it worked...

I have ZERO sugar cravings.. they went away... it seems as though this sugar thing is completely unnecessary . if i do eat carbs ITS like raspberries or blueberries... maybe some dark chocolate .. or green veggies... anything colorfull fresh and with actual nutrients.. read more about PALEO....

i dont MISS sugar in the slightest.. and i am never hungry and i eat more now then i use to.. i am allready close to goal weight.. so i was just looking for a WAY to eat a little more healthy and NOT HAVE CRAVINGS or be HUNGRY anymore..

I could not be happier... :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    "helpfully told you recently that you're too fat to be attractive." this is NOT helpful. It is mean. Only you can say that to yourself and even then its not okay. IT sounds like its not the sugar you are craving but really its the binging problem and impulse buying. make a shopping list and stick to it. only bring enough money to the store for what is on that list. find yummy alternatives to have that don't cost that many calories. for example: you love oreos. okay me too. but I buy the yogurt with the oreo cookies in them. they are worth every calorie and I don't feel guilty afterwards. you like chocolate: how about some sugar free hot cocoa or a yoohoo singles pack with almond milk and mix in blender with ice. I call it a chocolate milkshake. start planning in some snacks into your day. preplanning helps me a lot. I stick to what I planned to eat and therefore I don't have room for other stuff. to tell you the truth, I haven't had a lot of the stuff I used to love so much and have stopped even wanting them. you just got to get them out of your system I think. if you do purchase boxes or bags of trigger food type snacks. then I suggest you individually portion them out into baggies and get them out of the box. its like having a buffet in front of you if you dotn. I do this with everything. I go through baggies a lot. they are only a buck at the dollar store. I do this for cereal, chips, crackers, noodles, etc If you look in my pantry right now you would see that. It really comes down to the calories you take in below your maintenance that helps you lose weight. I think of my daily calories budget like my bank account. I stick to my "budget" throughout the day and if I cant "afford" it, I cant have it. If I really want it then I don't go over budget.. I just have to skip a meal. I hate skipping meals so I don't splurge too often. Just start preplanning occasional snacks into your day. Pre log it then eat it and enjoy. Guilt free.