lost 12 pounds but still same pants size?

Options
im still about a size 10 in pants and smaller sizes dont really fit me
i wonder, how many pounds do i have to lose until i have to get new pants?
maybe the jeans now are slightly looser but still they fit pretty tightly

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So your body will lose fat from where and when it pleases. If you're not doing any resistance training, though, I would recommend you start. This could help you preserve muscle mass and therefore lose mostly fat rather than muscle and fat. This way you should notice more inches lost, and possibly fit in smaller jeans a bit sooner.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    How snugly did your pants fit before you started losing? If they were loose, they will become too big quickly. If they were tight, it will take longer.

What is your body shape? Are you a pear or an hourglass? If you carry your weight mostly on the bottom half, it may take longer to change pants sizes.

Are you exercising? Muscle and fat weigh the same (1 pound = 1 pound) but muscle is denser. The more muscular you are, the smaller you are at the same weight with a higher fat percentage. Exercise will help you get smaller, faster. You can drop a size without losing any weight if you build muscle.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. Sorry there's no definite answer.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a dress size until around 20lb down.

Like the above states, the body loses it from where it wants and you can't pin point an area.

Keep at it and you WILL see that difference! Good luck
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    I've lost 37 pounds & I'm still the same pants size?
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answer except that I'm at the same point. I'm still wearing the same size I did before losing my 12lbs. Don't worry too much. Take your measurements again and see where you're losing from :)
  • sjay68
    sjay68 Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't be disheartened, its probably water weight and you will soon start seeing a change in size and shape. You definitely want to start incorporating some resistance training as already stated if you're not already doing this to maintain muscle tone, I learned that the hard way. You also may want to find macros that work for your body type e.g. 50/30/20 (Protein/Carbs/Fat), a higher protein diet will keep you full for longer, reducing Carbs will help with reducing the amount of water your body may store on a high carb diet e.g. and Fats, well you can't cut them out as they're still needed, good fats i.e. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted..

Keep it up! :smile:
  • laurahadenough
    laurahadenough Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    20 pounds per size.. give or take.. bet they feel looser though??
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say there is no definite number of pounds per pants size. Everyone is different. I started off at a size 18, took about 10 months (about 50lbs) before I could finally buy clothes in the next size smaller (14/16), but over the next 10 months I went from a 14/16 to an 8. Be patient, keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there.
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to realize I had gained weight because I'm still in all the same clothes. For me, it's a 20lb + difference that causes different sizes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is totally different for everybody. It took me from 202.5 to 183 to go from size 16 to 14. Then it took until about 167 to get to size 12. Right now my 12s are really baggy in the butt but because I have a good amount of fat around my middle, I can't go down a size yet.
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds and I'm still wearing all the same pants. What I have noticed is how much better they fit me. They aren't as snug, the don't leave marks on me anymore and I don't have to lay down on the bed to button and zip them. I really had no idea how poorly my pants fit me before I started losing weight. Yes I'm bummed I'm not in a new size but I try to be happy that 1) I don't need to spend money on new clothes just yet and 2) My pants are actually fitting me properly now and I look better in them than I ever have.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 and am still wearing most of the pants I wore before. They just fit now. :drinker:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already covered that it will vary for everyone depending on where your body loses the weight from (which is different for everyone - mine will come off my waist way before my hips, for example.) There's one other factor too, that the weight gap between sizes gets smaller in smaller sizes. Going from a 10 to and 8 might be a 20 pound loss, but then going from a 4 to a 2 might be only 5 pounds.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's also going to depend on store/designer and how their sizes are set up. Some stores are better/worse about the vanity sizing than others.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    im still about a size 10 in pants and smaller sizes dont really fit me
    i wonder, how many pounds do i have to lose until i have to get new pants?
    maybe the jeans now are slightly looser but still they fit pretty tightly

=( That happened to me too. I'm 5' tall and at 160+ pounds, it wasn't until I got down to around 140 and less before I was able to get into the next pant size down. I was sorely disappointed the WHOLE time....until I got south of 140 :ohwell:

Be patient & keep at it. It'll happen for ya! :drinker:
  • Dezire4lyfe
    Dezire4lyfe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32 lbs and am still the same pant size. I am keeping track of inches lost and have lost about 35 inches total overall with most inches lost in my waist and hips but my thighs are refusing to slim down (only 1.5 inches lost). So my pants are falling off in the waist but my thighs are filling them out. I think it really depends on how your body is slimming down.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pants have sizes? I thought that is what belts were for.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Pants have sizes? I thought that is what belts were for.

silly boy :laugh:
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things: how tall you are, your body shape, what size clothes you wear (there is larger discrepancy between sizes the larger you get), how tight your old clothes were, etc. For example, I'm 5'10" and have lost 30 lbs. but I can still wear all my old clothes.